Default Gunbroker: Steyr Martini Henry?

I was browsing gunbroker.com, and I noticed a Steyr Martini Henry, apparently chambered in 8x50, for sale. It looks like a standard military configuration MH. Anyone know anything abut Martinis manufactured by Steyr? Is this a martial or a maybe a sporting gun? I thought it looked kind of interesting.

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Have to know all the markings to tell if military or not, but can say I (and that means just that - I, me as an individual; others surely have more complete information than i do on the issue) am not aware of any Martinis in military issue chambered for 8x50. Now - some may have been rebarreled for that in the same way the British rebarreled 577/450s to .303. I just don't know. I do know that the Steyr guns (made at OEWS) were of excellent quality. What is the price asked?
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

$900 reserve. Interesting gun - never seen one like it. Still, too rich for my blood.

From some web surfing, it looks like it is most likely of Romanian original and caliber should be WR #2 Musket, if not 577/450. Seller could be wrong on the 8x50 chambering.
    Last edited by PRIMO1; 09-21-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: updated info
    Curator, the Privett Museum for Unloved & Wayward Guns. Est. 2006.

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by PRIMO1;2718350[B
    ]$900 reserve. Interesting gun - never seen one like it. Still, too rich for my blood.[/B]

From some web surfing, it looks like it is most likely of Romanian original and caliber should be WR #2 Musket, if not 577/450. Seller could be wrong on the 8x50 chambering.
    Or mine, unless I hit the lottery tonight. Which I won't unless i go buy a ticket, and unlikely even if i do. That WR #2 Musket looks to be a really good round, better in a number of ways than the 577/450.
    Umm - or
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)