Default yellow tip 7.62x54

Dunhams Sports is selling army surplus 54 ammo with a yellow tip (painted). They come in packs of ten wrapped in brown papper. Whats the yellow tip for, and would it be alright to shoot it (such as non corrosive)? sorry guys but I have no idea thanks . tb

I asked the same ? I've been told its 1954 Bulgarian ammo. Yes, its corrovie. I think the yellow is for heavy ball, but I'm sure someone can verify that. I've not shot mine yet, but didn't like the way some of the bullets were seated. But again, I've been told it will shoot fine.

As for price, I imagine it was $5.99. I was thinking there were 20 in the pack first time I bought it. This makes the ammo .60/shot. You can buy modern non-corrosive Bear Ammo by Barnual for $9 (cheaper). Or, you can buy milsup yellow tip in bulk from the sponsors for much cheaper. I don't think you need an FFL to get ammo.

Just my 2 cents.

The yellow tip means that it's heavy ball ammo, around 180 grains or so. It's fine to shoot in your Mosin. It is corrosive so remember to clean your rifle every time when you're done shooting.

Is the yellow tip machine gun ammo maybe?? If so, I would be hesitant to use it in a rifle not designed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinmeister View Post
    Is the yellow tip machine gun ammo maybe?? If so, I would be hesitant to use it in a rifle not designed for it.
    No, it's perfectly safe to fire in a rifle.

As Mike O said, it's fine for a bolt gun; however your particular rifle may prefer light ball...I suggest you try several flavors and let the rifle tell you what it prefers. This method also works for pets when trying out new food...Charlie prefers brats and sauerkraut over kibble.

Just looking...... Membership Chair, Dormont Mt. Lebanon SC, PA. Visit us at : http://www.mdi.net/dml/

Default anything else

i agree with cbanker i really dont like how they are seated. it feels like i can pull them out of the shell with my hand, and the bear that coating they put on them likes to melt after a couple of shots. Tried it and got one stuck in the chamber. Is there any other cheap amunition for this or am i going to have to buy the winchester metric caliber which i dont want to do$.
    and shyquestor maybe that dog would prefer bengals clothing instead of steelers haha jk but seriously thanks guys tb

rocker98 is offline Diamond with Gold Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member

Heavy ball = Yellow tip.

How the poodle got involved I have no idea.

Gary :D
    Gary

***WARNING*** Mosins breed like rabbits!

"In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle." SRI PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald R. Ford

"You are never dead, as long as you are remembered"

You will want to avoid the 203 Gr. hunting ammo like a plague.

Machine gun ammo?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Shyquestor View Post
    As Mike O said, it's fine for a bolt gun; however your particular rifle may prefer light ball...I suggest you try several flavors and let the rifle tell you what it prefers. This method also works for pets when trying out new food...Charlie prefers brats and sauerkraut over kibble.

Is Charlie one of those snickerdoodle or what ever crossbreeds?
    No disrespect ment,just that my friend has one of the crossbreeds and it is Hell for him to live with(mean with eveyone and everything)has no idea what to do with it.

Live fire exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x54r View Post
    Live fire exercise?
    That's what I told him,bring the dog up to my farm,no one will have any concerns about gun fire from (that nuts farm)LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x54r View Post
    Machine gun ammo?
    I'm only asking because I didn't know. Is this the same yellow tip as the 1951 Hungarian heavy ball ammo shown on your website 7.62x54r.net?

About the 203 gr hunting ammo, I found that the Barnaul 204 gr softpoint hunting ammo (steel case and all, but apparently a copper clad lead bullet) to be the most accurate commercial/milsurp load in my M39.

The S&B Match HPBT was not even as accurate at Hungarian yellow tip heavy ball I use for practice in that weapon, much less the Barnaul 204 gr.

Each gun has its own story to tell, I guess.
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi (An Autobiography OR The story of my experiments with truth, by M.K. Gandhi, p.238)

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    About the 203 gr hunting ammo, I found that the Barnaul 204 gr softpoint hunting ammo (steel case and all, but apparently a copper clad lead bullet) to be the most accurate commercial/milsurp load in my M39.

The S&B Match HPBT was not even as accurate at Hungarian yellow tip heavy ball I use for practice in that weapon, much less the Barnaul 204 gr.

Each gun has its own story to tell, I guess.
    You just could not keep it to yourself, could you? Now everyone and their uncle will buy it and what am I supposed to do? Shame on you!
    :D:D:D:D

The Bul yellow tip brass is good stuff, it is heavy ball but some rifles really like the stuff. My M39's eat it up and love the stuff. Yes, some rifles do better with the LB, over all the Bul HB yellow tip is top of the line, accurate, easy extraction and corresive. All surplus 7.62x54r is corresive and mildly corresive will still give you the same result = RUST. So get some and enjoy it and clean your rifle after shooting like a good soldier. Really a few passes with a windex w/ammonia wet patches and then a regular cleaning will keep things all good.
    "Sometimes for King, always for Country"

NRA, FOP, GCA, CMP

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ij70 View Post
    You will want to avoid the 203 Gr. hunting ammo like a plague.

Why do you say that?

Recoil?

My M1891 Finn prefers Barnaul 203 gr above all others for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    Why do you say that?

Recoil?

I like that hunting ammo too. I think its made by Barnual, the same guys that make Bear. I think hunting ammo is more reliable that Bear, but I don't mind either. I've never had "sticky bolt" with huting ammo. I shoot all over the place anyway, so until someone teaches me to shoot, I couldn't tell the accuracy diffence. Besides, the muzzle flash and report ought to knock down anything close anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    Why do you say that?

Recoil?

That was an example of my pathetic attempt at humor.

If the guy from earlier too afraid of 180 Gr, he should really run away from even heavier load of 203 Gr.