Default Percussion Cap Shortage?

I guess I've been living in a cave for the last ten years? When did musket caps first go up so much in price and apparently now be almost unobtainable? I used to civil war reenact many years ago and they were fairly cheap if I remember correctly. I think the ones we used were German? Now i can't even seem to even find any. I read something about CCI not making the old style hot caps anymore but downgrading to some reenactor stuff which may or may not give reliable ignition. What do you guys shoot with? If I dig deep enough I think I still have a few but this is depressing. I'm sure I'm late in the game on this and beating a dead horse but if anyone can give me the "scoop" I'd appreciate it.

I've still got some Navy Arms musket caps in the 250 count tin. Sticker on the bottom says $2.79 - that's how old they are. Sportsmans Warehouse seems to have a steady supply of CCI in the 100 count tins for just under 8 bucks. I often buy 1 or 2 tins whenever I'm across town and stop in there.

I don't use that many currently, but I do have musket cap nipples to fit several rifles, just in case I run short of #11's.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

no shortage here in Georgia $6.99 CCI #11 100

Default Replica with colt address

incorrect post location
    Last edited by Citiboy289; 09-28-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Two words friends. Flint n steel. One can usually find a decent piece of flint around here to chip into a sharp rock.
    Wendell.

P.S. I recently gave away about 900 German musket caps to a total stranger. How dumb, Or I mean generous is that?
    " After all, who remembers today the extermination of the Armenians"? Adolph Hitler 1939

THE TREE OF LIBERTY, MUST, FROM TIME TO TIME, BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS ALIKE.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

GOTT MIT UNS

I've had no trouble finding flanged RWS musket caps. Prices are higher but these days plain old .22lr is expensive.
    I order RWS caps on line from a couple of places, by the 1000's, and pay hazmat fees, as I think they are the best.
    Locally I can buy those CCI "Re-enactor" grade musket caps. I've read comments on other forums about the problems with the new CCI caps, but in my limited experience they seem to work OK...
    Last edited by FGD135; 09-29-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    Sam Cummings laughs at us from the grave!

All of this Musket Percussion Cap "shortage" is due to a dumb a** re-enactor. He was using CCI 6 wing "Hot" caps in a re-enactment. He was NOT wearing eye protection. The cap "fragged" and part of it ended up in his eye.

Then Dumb A** finds a sleazy lawyer and they sue CCI. CCI responds by making a settlement and then taking their 6 wing "Hot" caps out of production, replacing them with those "weak as water" Re-enactor caps.

Unfortunately, the CCI RE-enactor caps are NOT "Hot" enough to reliably set off either a percussion Sharps or Smith Carbine [the flash channels of both of those guns are long and make several 90 degree turns.] I even wrote a polite e-mail to CCI asking them to put their "Hot" caps back into production.

Since they were not good enough to even respond to my e-mail, I have quit buying anything made by CCI. In other words, they lost a good customer with me, because over the years, I had purchased a lot of CCI pistol caps (#11) musket caps and .22 ammo.

One of the REALLY, REALLY Dumb A** things some re-enactors are doing is to "drill out" the flash channels of their musket nipplie to make the guns more "reliable." What these people are too stupid to understand is that as a nipple wears, the flash channel is eroded by the hot gases going though it. So, they are literally setting up a dangerous condition regarding "Blow Back" when even a blank round is fired.

When a musket starts "fragging" its caps...THAT IS THE WAY IT TELLS YOU THAT YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE NIPPLE WITH A NEW ONE.

When a musket starts blowing so much gas out of the nipple when it is fired until it re-cocks the hammer-THAT IS THE WAY IT TELLS YOU THAT YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE NIPPLE WITH A NEW ONE.

Heck, I even went on to a re-enactor BB and wrote a post, urging everyone to NOT "Drill Out" their nipples because that is setting up a dangerous condition. THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE BB REMOVED MY POST!!!

So, there are Re-enactors that are going to be losing more eyes in the future and suffer other injuries. Too bad but I have done all I can.

The so-called "hot" caps were never necessary, I don't care how many flanges they have. Southern, Sr., you and I have been shooting black powder for a long time. I have never felt the need for so called hot caps, the standard 4 flanged caps were made starting with the adoption of military percussion caps in the late 1830s, early 1840s. Why anyone needed to make a 6 flanged cap, possibly making the entire cap weak, who knows. Maybe CCI made a mistake with that one, the 4 flanged musket cap was fine for 160 years. Isn't it possible that they used too little copper in their metal making the alloy brittle and that was the problem?

And yes, I was a reenactor, but was an active shooter for 25 years before that I never used CCI caps anyway, just good quality American, Italian and German-made caps, never one of those fragmented so don't blame the reenactors, dumb as many of them may be.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    Two words friends. Flint n steel. One can usually find a decent piece of flint around here to chip into a sharp rock.
    Wendell.

P.S. I recently gave away about 900 German musket caps to a total stranger. How dumb, Or I mean generous is that?
    You're on the right track with that flint. I buy hand knapped English flints to fit my Great Plains Flintlock rifle for under $2 each. They'll fire anywhere between 50 and 100+ times without any touch up.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    You're on the right track with that flint. I buy hand knapped English flints to fit my Great Plains Flintlock rifle for under $2 each. They'll fire anywhere between 50 and 100+ times without any touch up.
    I'll second that, as the owner of a flint rifle and two muskets.

I read a story once that old time mountain men/trappers would not switch to percussion caps when they became popular because: 1), it meant dependency on an unreliable supply chain that went all the way back to St. Louis; 2) they didn't want to be fumbling around with a box of caps in the middle of an "injun" fight (spill those caps on the ground and you're in a world of hurt); 3), like mentioned above, there is plenty of natural flint around - knapping is a skill to be learned but not rocket science; and 4) 30-50-100 shots can be expected from one flint, depending on how you care for it. YMMV. What goes around comes around.

Buffalo hunters, on the other hand, probably had no problem with cap supplies because they were right in the middle of that supply chain. They were sending meat and hides back East, commercially, so it was to everybody's advantage to keep them supplied with what they needed.

When I started with caplocks 30 years ago, I would buy a #100 tin, and when needed more I would go to the store and buy one more tin. This year, I admit, I ordered 1000. Should keep me for awhile, I don't shoot as much as I used to.
    Last edited by Coldwood; 09-30-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    "Peace is one of those brief, glorious moments in history when everybody stands around reloading."

I have had a plethora of serious medical problems since 1990. I'm up and running pretty good again though.

I haven't had my black powder box opened up and looked at, since 1990. It was like opening a box of candy.

I have been reading about the shortage of caps and about Remington not making there percussion caps, any more. I did say box of candy -- I didn't remember having these things but, I found 1000 CCI number 10 caps and 1000 CCI number 11 caps. I found 500 Remington number 11 caps and 500 Remington number 10 caps. I even found a dozen English flints I didn't remember having.

That ought to last me a week or so.

You can bet everytime I go to a gun shop, from now on, I will buy every percussion cap I can find.

I would tell you how much powder I have squirreled away, but I don't want the firemarshall coming by...!

Bill
    Last edited by StillwaterBill; 10-02-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    We are told NOT to judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics.

HOWEVER, We are encouraged TO judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

I wish I could find just a few hundred No. 10 caps. Everywhere is sold out online. It's absurd.
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

Is there a hazmat fee for shipping caps? If not I'll sell you a couple of hundred.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do
    not.."~ Elmer Fudd......

There's not if they don't know it !!