Default So you can't match a bolt?

I bought this 8th series BA on the trader 2 years ago. It was one example I didn't have in my 8th series. ("A" type receiver with a non guarded front sight) very hard example to find #59744. Only the second one I ever saw. So I saw a bolt on e-bay. The number looked real familiar to me. I looked on my phone. Low and behold it's one I needed. Together again so they say. Now looking for a donor stock to put it in. Yes the bolt is completely matching.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #744.jpg   type  99 bolt #744.jpg   IM004263.JPG  
    Last edited by BIG ED; 10-07-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Only waiting to shoot again.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
    (A receiver without front sight guards) very hard example to find #59744. Only the second one I ever saw.
    Congrats and nice find! Can you elaborate on what you mean by "receiver without front sight guards"? Do you mean the front sight did not have guards? I thought most with the exception of a run in the middle lack the sight guards.
    "Its better to burn out than it is to rust". - Neil Young

"A" type receiver with a non guarded front sight. I clarified it CC.

Thanks Ed! - always trying to pick up some scoop when I can.

Good job locating your bolt Big Ed.So far you are the first person I have ever heard of to do so.Again good job.

Wow, congrats! First time I ever heard of someone scoring a match, better go out and buy a lotto ticket now.
    Seabees can do!

I am still looking for the Fazakerley Enfield that has my Savage bolt in it. It must be in a Faz because I have the bolt for it.
    Damn the expense, use your turn signals today... and as a special favour, try doing it before you have two wheels in the next lane.

Ed, I have ser no. 59113 with no guards on the front sight but it has a "B" receiver.

I have to ask this. How do you know that the bolt did not come from a series 7, 10, or 11? Or even from a early or later 8th? With only 3 numbers from the serial # on the bolt there are up too 99 like # in each series.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit-1 View Post
    I have to ask this. How do you know that the bolt did not come from a series 7, 10, or 11? Or even from a early or later 8th? With only 3 numbers from the serial # on the bolt there are up too 99 like # in each series.
    Could be any of those as you say, what Ed found was a bolt with matching numbers; whether it is the "original" bolt to his rifle is another question entirely.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Hi Don :

Question when was the extractor changed from "A" to "B" during Nagoya 99 production ?. This was never a question asked during the 1980s to 2000 heyday of Team Arisaka research.
    My guess is the latter half of the 8th or the beginning of the 10th. So despite the fact that the bolt BIG ED found is a number / arsenal match, the extractor length may not be the right one for the series action he has.
    I too have found a matching number bolt to an early rifle but it was the wrong arsenal, much better looking but not correct or original.
    Vicasoto

BIG ED,
    I also managed to find a matching bolt for my rifle and it took about a year of searching on ebay and all throughout gun shows before I just went to my friend's house whose family has apparantly been collecting Japanese stuff since the end of the war (he has a sniper that his grandfather brought home that is the pride of his collection). Anyway I was hanging out with him after school since be both shared a class that day in college and I told him about my new rifle with a mismatched bolt. He asked what the last three numbers were and what arsenal to which I gave him that info. He started looking through some old file cabinets and behold he pulls out a bolt and asks if that was the one I needed. I looked it over, saw the three numbers, and immediately said yes and how much. All he wanted was a case of beer and a study partner for the next test we had and I sealed the deal. Apparantly the bolt came off of a mismatched sporter rifle that his father bought about 30 years ago and parted it out, placing the pieces in file cabinet drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicasoto View Post
    Hi Don :

Question when was the extractor changed from "A" to "B" during Nagoya 99 production ?. This was never a question asked during the 1980s to 2000 heyday of Team Arisaka research.
    My guess is the latter half of the 8th or the beginning of the 10th. So despite the fact that the bolt BIG ED found is a number / arsenal match, the extractor length may not be the right one for the series action he has.
    I too have found a matching number bolt to an early rifle but it was the wrong arsenal, much better looking but not correct or original.
    Vicasoto
    Vic,
    The bolt is correct for the series rifle I have. 8th series rifles all have the short extractor. Unless it's a freaky one with second class stamps. The firing pin is also the correct style as far as the slots in it goes. The safety is also correct with the proper style weld. Yes it could be from a high 7th or another eighth series rifle. I never stated it was from this exact rifle. Perhaps an early tenth but no later as the firing pin would be different and the bolt stem would be much cruder. I was going to keep this find to myself just for the reason I see now. The doubters and party poopers have surfaced. If when I'm done and wanted to sell it. ( I'm not) NOBODY would be able to say the bolt is wrong for the series rifle I have. Not even the experts on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicasoto View Post
    Hi Don :

Vicasoto
    Late in the 7th series, according to the survey we did here a couple years back.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Near Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by 03man View Post
    late in the 7th series, according to the survey we did here a couple years back.
    @ serial number 94,000

Nice find Ed. Now, you need to find that matching upper band. You might be on a roll!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated
    The Borg

Quote Originally Posted by arisakadogs View Post
    Nice find Ed. Now, you need to find that matching upper band. You might be on a roll!
    I have everything I need less the stock. Upper band is still there pinned in place. And yes it late enough not to be numbered. That went away in the very early 8th series. So I will be putting it back to the way it was as soon as I find a stock that will be useable.

So by voicing that the bolt is not the matching one for your rifle I'm a party pooper? Yes you did say that it would be matching again. I thought this was a forum that you could give a opinion and not be called names. Well maybe not.

@ serial number 94,000
    I would hesitate to give a number, someone will find one 49 or 301 numbers higher or lower at some point in the future; but "about" 94000 works for me!
    03man - Don Voigt
    Near Charlotte, NC

I have everything I need less the stock. Upper band is still there pinned in place. And yes it late enough not to be numbered. That went away in the very early 8th series. So I will be putting it back to the way it was as soon as I find a stock that will be useable.
    Sorry, I had a brain fart. I should have known that about the 8th series.
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated
    The Borg

Quote Originally Posted by arisakadogs View Post
    Sorry, I had a brain fart. I should have known that about the 8th series.
    You do your just another old retired guy now!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit-1 View Post
    So by voicing that the bolt is not the matching one for your rifle I'm a party pooper? Yes you did say that it would be matching again. I thought this was a forum that you could give a opinion and not be called names. Well maybe not.
    If you know japanese rifles you would know that along with everything that transitioned the bolt and is parts also did. I can say with certainty the bolt is not from a high tenth or eleventh series. The firiing pin design changed and the bolt stem got liitle attension as far as machining goes.. So that leaves us with late seventh or eighth series. Possibly 9th series but I see no proofs relating to Izawa or Howa manufacture. Just "W" and "ij" typical of Nagoya production rifles.There was much discusion on matching bolts over the years and this is one example that it can be done. It is matching by serial number and the correct style and manufactured time period. If you want to discount it you go right ahead.

If you know japanese rifles you would know that along with everything that transitioned the bolt and is parts also did. I can say with certainty the bolt is not from a high tenth or eleventh series. The firiing pin design changed and the bolt stem got liitle attension as far as machining goes.. So that leaves us with late seventh or eighth series. Possibly 9th series but I see no proofs relating to Izawa or Howa manufacture. Just "W" and "ij" typical of Nagoya production rifles.There was much discusion on matching bolts over the years and this is one example that it can be done. It is matching by serial number and the correct style and manufactured time period. If you want to discount it you go right ahead.
    Agreed and I can't see why anyone would want to discount it. I think its great you found a numbers matching/series correct bolt. One of the nice things about 99s is that every part is not numbered like 38s or even worse K98s. So its possible to put some back together that are as they should be. Best of luck on tracking down the wood!