Gunboards Forums banner

Winchester Model 42 .410 Skeet shotgun - what do I have here?

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  AKexpat 
#1 ·
Hey y'all!!

I need your help, please. A friend of mine passed away suddenly about two months ago. I'm trying to help his wife/widow sell off a portion of his collection (per his request) to help her financially and not have to worry about money so much during this rough time.

Right now, I've got his Winchester Model 42 .410 Skeet shotgun, and I'd really appreciate it if any of you could give me historical information and a fair market value. She doesn't care to sell it for absolute "top of the mark" value, but I do want to make sure she gets at least gets 75-80% of the most someone would expect to pay for it.

It is a beautiful shotgun! It has two chokes (FC & Mod). The only real "flaw" I can see (other than light handling marks on the stock and wear from use on the barrel and magazine tube) is what might be either a crack in the wood or just a crack in the finish near the top right receiver tang. Please see the pictures below. I tried to take pictures from just about every angle possible, but if you need another picture or more information, please just let me know.

Thank you in advance for helping me help out a very good cause. Any help on value and advice on the best place to sell this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Luke

See less See more
#2 ·
is it marked skeet on the barrel, or an other choke marking? if its a factory original skeet model it is worth a pretty penny, how ever the condition will lower the price from a mint one. i think it would start at over 1000.00,how much over that at a good auction is any ones guess. eastbank.

#4 ·
One beautiful gun I will add. Made approx. 160,000 between 1933-1963. Skeet Model had the fancy wood like yours. Eastbank is indeed correct. my Bluebook of Gun Values is a few years old but your gun is worth north of $1000. Gun Broker is a good place to list it as you will get a better price. Good luck.

#6 ·
Hi! I'm new to these forums, but this older thread really caught my eye.

In '68-'70 I worked as a trap/skeet setter/puller while in high school at Roberts' Shooting Park (long gone) in Elkhorn NE and got to see (and shoot) many shotguns, but the 42 will always be remembered fondly. It was a Skeet grade 3" (like yours), unaltered in any way, and was owned by a 70-year-old guy named John Day. Shot it for one round of skeet and managed a 15 score. Beautiful gun.

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would install a Cutts on a gun like that, unless it was used for hunting and the primary purpose was interchangeable choke tubes, but still... One of my best friends had a Mod 12 20 ga with a Cutts: nice gun but LOUD.

Anyway, I am wondering if the 42 sold yet? If so, I hope your friend's widow got a fair price for it.

Thanks for the pictures and the memories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.