Another Rifle Shipping Thread

Thread: Another Rifle Shipping Thread

Default Another Rifle Shipping Thread

It seems the regs are different than the last time I looked so I'll ask around here. My searches indicate it's been a while since this was discussed here.

My Father-in-Law willed me some rifles - a K98, Remington M1903, maybe one or two others. I live in Washington State, the rifles are in Pennsylvania, and I'm travelling back there in a couple weeks to arrange shipping.

UPS - they tell me they will only ship to an FFL.

USPS - my brother-in-law inquired locally and was told they will only ship to an FFL. That isn't what the Federal regs say. Could PA be adding additional requirements?

Any advise would certainly be appreciated. I may end up flying back with them as baggage in the airplane.
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

Personally I have never had much of any issues shipping rifles USPS. But there is some ladies that work at my local post office that are anti-gun and have their laws and rules confused. If they ask if its a gun i just tell them "machined parts".

I live in PA, face to face transfers are legal for long guns. A long gun can be shipped by mail to another PA resident who is legally allowed to own a firearm in lieu of a ftf transfer. Firearms being shipped out of state must go to a C&R/FFL unless it's an antique. Thats a Federal reg I believe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Check the ATF regulations on "bequests". If you inherited firearms you can legally have them shipped to yourself. just show them a copy of the relevant documents, will and death certificate or probate ruling if you use the USPS. For UPS you need to use a shipping center. UPS stores are franchises that do not accept firearms.

Or do it an easier way. Since its perfectly legal just open a Fedex account online. Pack the rifles carefully, weigh them, print shipping labels and hand them in at the nearest Fedex office for shipment to your home. Not only are there no questions asked there isn't even a place on the online form to tell them what you are shipping. But I would put a copy of the papers inside, or even just a typed statement that the firearms are a bequest.

TITLE 27 CFR CHAPTER II
    PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

§ 478.29 Out-of-State acquisition of
    firearms by nonlicensees.
    No person, other than a licensed importer,
    licensed manufacturer, licensed
    dealer, or licensed collector, shall transport
    into or receive in the State where the
    person resides (or if a corporation or other
    business entity, where it maintains a place
    of business) any firearm purchased or
    otherwise obtained by such person outside
    that State: Provided, That the provisions
    of this section:
    (a) Shall not preclude any person who
    lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or
    intestate succession in a State other than
    his State of residence from transporting
    the firearm into or receiving it in that State,
    if it is lawful for such person to purchase
    or possess such firearm in that State,

§ 478.30 Out-of-State disposition of
    firearms by nonlicensees.
    No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell,
    trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm
    to any other nonlicensee, who the
    transferor knows or has reasonable cause
    to believe does not reside in (or if the person
    is a corporation or other business
    entity, does not maintain a place of business
    in) the State in which the transferor
    resides: Provided, That the provisions of
    this section:
    (a) shall not apply to the transfer,
    transportation, or delivery of a firearm
    made to carry out a bequest of a firearm
    to, or any acquisition by intestate succession
    of a firearm by, a person who is permitted
    to acquire or possess a firearm
    under the laws of the State of his residence;
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

Shipping a rifle is a very confusing topic.
    Always good (for me) to read more about it.

My local fedex office requires a copy of the receivers ffl to ship. They had at one point said that a suspected firearms shipment without papers would need to be opened for verification that it wasnt a gun before shipment. I have a business acct and they still ask when I take a long skinny box in for shipment.

308 states it correctly

Inherited firearms can ship to yourself to your home

Have shipped many rifles through the USPS - never once asked what it was nor ever asked to see
    an FFL although they were always inside

Local employees do not always understand the law nor their own regs

Again, the ATF states you can ship to yourself with for inherited firearms

X

TITLE 27 CFR CHAPTER II
    PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

Provided, That the provisions
    of this section:

(a) Shall not preclude any person who
    lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or
    intestate succession in a State other than
    his State of residence from transporting
    the firearm into or receiving it in that State,
    if it is lawful for such person to purchase
    or possess such firearm in that State,
    Last edited by azPrimeLand; 11-05-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Lately both USPS and UPS have been asking for the sender and receiver FFL, the Post office is now saying you have to fill out a form but they could not the remember what the form number is, my UPS hub is very easy and cheaper, she keeps my FFL on file there and I just show the receiving FFL. Seem to me we're dealing with people's personal feelings on shipping rifles in some areas, I don't know.

I suppose your results will vary but I've shipped from 3 different USPS locations in my area with no questions asked. Maybe it helps living in farm land, I don't know.

i do all my paper work at home.. have my outgoing and incoming FFLs attached outside the box in an envelope marked FFL. Box it up, went to usps.com - buy postage. Stick to the box; schedule a pickup.. jobs done.

I have done this with over 30 long guns and have had no issues.

Spax brings up a great point

My first few were going to the USPS location - like an idiot

Since, all are mailed direct from my home as I have a mail carrier come to my home 6 days a week

I weigh, print label, give to carrier - done with no hassle

X

Mailing a rifle or shotgun via USPS is so simple that even a cave-man can do it. You do not have to show anyone an FFL, and you do not have to tell the clerk what is in the box. Send it Priority or Registered Mail, insured for the full value.

However, if the clerks and/or Postmaster at your location do not know their own rules and regulations you could be in for a rough time. You can either try to educate them, go to another P.O., or mail from your home with an on-line account. Educating them is like wrestling a pig, so go with #2 or#3.

Ray

Thank you all for your replies. JK, that's great info on inherited guns.

Spax, it appears you are shipping to an FFL. I don't want to pay FFL fees or have to go to an FFL.

My brother-in-law went to two different USPS outlets in rural eastern PA and was told you have to ship firearms to an FFL. That appears to confirm what racerguy wrote (or my bro-in-law just found uninformed USPS agents). Regardless, I'm not going back there for very long and I can't afford much of a hassle. I have flown with firearms before - in fact my father-in-law gave me two long guns earlier that I carried on the airplane. I think I'll do that again.

You do not have an 03? - Ive used the above method with an FFL or 03.. you are shipping to your self correct? Not sure if transfer is required.
    Last edited by Spaxspore; 11-05-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Follow jjk308's advise....create ups/ FedEx/ USPS account and ship to yourself...be sure to insure and pack well...

Post office regs require ffl for dealer to dealer handguns, and the 1508 form, they should ask if the rifle is unloaded and that's it..

With the online account you bypass clerk interaction... And made up clerk rules...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Yep their yours.. SHip FROM yourself TO yourself! I've done it several times
    AK_MILSURP
    Benefactor Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, Alaska Gun Collectors Association
    Life member, VFW
    Anchorage, AK
    www.amga.net

"Remember the Range day, And keep it holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim"

Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post
    Yep their yours.. SHip FROM yourself TO yourself! I've done it several times
    Exactly - that's what I always thought. As long as they are yours and you're shipping to yourself it's legal. But UPS now says you have to ship to an FFL. I asked them how do guys use you to go hunting? They had no idea. And you'd think that any USPS office had seen this many times and their clerks do not have to stand at the counter and make up requirements.

UPS shouldn't ask whats in the box, and you don't have to tell them. Box 'em up and send 'em.
    "A golf course is nothing but a willfull and deliberate misuse of a rifle range." Theodore Roosevelt
    "Oh Lord, bring back Charleton Heston and we'll give you back Jim Carrey"

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN M View Post
    UPS shouldn't ask whats in the box, and you don't have to tell them. Box 'em up and send 'em.
    UPS (and FedEx) will ask you what's in the box, and you'd better tell them. It's a federal law that you have to identify the contents as a firearm. The USPS, OTOH, is just the opposite - they can't ask and you don't have to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Meketa View Post
    UPS (and FedEx) will ask you what's in the box, and you'd better tell them. It's a federal law that you have to identify the contents as a firearm. The USPS, OTOH, is just the opposite - they can't ask and you don't have to tell.
    Noted. However, I've never been asked by UPS. Never used FedEx or the Post Office.
    "A golf course is nothing but a willfull and deliberate misuse of a rifle range." Theodore Roosevelt

That's interesting because one of the questions they ask when generating the label is the contents. But, even if they don't ask:

Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Quote Originally Posted by racerguy00 View Post
    My local fedex office requires a copy of the receivers ffl to ship. They had at one point said that a suspected firearms shipment without papers would need to be opened for verification that it wasnt a gun before shipment. I have a business acct and they still ask when I take a long skinny box in for shipment.
    NOT According to FedEx's Tariff. All they require is that the shipment be according to federal and State regulations and there are a number of exceptions to the ffl rule. If they give you grief like that write a nice letter to Customer Service explaining that. I used to have that problem with our UPS center on shipping antique rifles and it ended after the VP for customer service got a letter from me.
    I switched to Fedex - using their Fedex Office stores - because it was closer, mostly cheaper and I could print my own labels and never get a question from some clerk who knows a lot less than I do.

And try using a long skinny box for golf clubs. Much easier to find than gun boxes and a big one will hold 2 guns although a scoped sporter may not fit.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

I cannot understand why anyone would use UPS or FedEx to ship a firearm. The clerks seldom know or understand their own rules. You have to ID the contents as a firearm which immediately raises a red flag at best and is like marking the package "Steal Me" at worst.

At USPS, OTOH, you do not tell them what's in the box and do not have to show an FFL. If the clerks do not not know the rules there is always another P.O. just minutes away. Ship it Registered Mail fully insured and it's 99.9% guaranteed to be safe. Sure, it may cost a few bucks more, but with the value of today's rifles or shotguns it's well worth it.

JMHO

Ray

I do all my own UPS through my company. I have an account, and make and print my own labels. The UPS driver picks them up. Never once has the contents of what I'm shipping been an issue. Tried the local post office once. Never again. They don't want guns in their building, and treat you like a terrorist if you try it. Just my experience...

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN M View Post
    . . .Tried the local post office once. Never again. They don't want guns in their building, and treat you like a terrorist if you try it. Just my experience...
    So how did they know the package contained a firearm? Did you tell them? If so, why?

So how did they know the package contained a firearm? Did you tell them? If so, why?

+1 This

If you are following the law you are not required to tell them whats in it. As long as its not hazardous, explosive etc...

I Pack at home for a reason.

I made the mistake of wanting it insured. They asked what was in the box, and like a dumbass I told them "a disassembled rifle and various parts to go with it." I was sending my son's rifle to him in Oklahoma. Our experiences in this matter seem to be polar opposites. I have nothing but praise for UPS.

USPS asks me anything hazardous, flamable or liquids. I say no and get insurance every time. $30 to most of the country, never had a problem. I assume they know what's in the long heavy box, I don't bring it up in conversation adnand they don't ask. Some are even obviously addressed to gun shops.

I cannot understand why anyone would use UPS or FedEx to ship a firearm. The clerks seldom know or understand their own rules. You have to ID the contents as a firearm which immediately raises a red flag at best and is like marking the package "Steal Me" at worst.
    Never had that at Fedex shipping center or Fedex office, even before getting an online account. They don't ask and I don't tell. The UPS clerks were always a nuisance and I really enjoyed stomping on them. After the letter to the VP the next time I went in the manager called the clerk into the back room and did a bit of yelling at her. Zero problems after that.

That's great, except:

Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm . . .

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

That's great, except:

Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm . . .

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
    Guy must be a postal inspector...it's the second time we've been enlightened with chapter and verse of the US code. Federal law also requires that immigrants come in through the front door, but that's not enforced either.

JJK308 said it all...VERY informed fella!...some of us would do well by listening to his advice...VERY thorough...VERY well researched!...Thanks!!...
    MY FIRST TEN MOSIN NAGANTS:
    1925 Izhevsk m1891/30 Ex-Dragoon- "Katalin"
    1939 Tula m1891/30 Lam. Stock- "Irena"
    1934 Tikka m27- "Tiina-Rakel"
    1938 Tula m1891/30 Finn Captured- "Nainen Sodassa"
    1955 Type 53 Carbine- "Thu Huong"
    1944 Tikka m1891/30- "Isoäiti"
    1942 VKT m1891- "Mummo"
    1916 Tula PTG m1891 Finn'd- "Petra"
    1967 No-Maker m39- "Tuuli"
    1926-8 Bohler-Stahl m24- "Vanha Rouva"