Default Gew 98 with turkish marking

Hello,
    I have a question : I bought four years ago a Gewehr 98 made in Oberndorf by the Mauser Waffenfabrik in 1918.
    On the top of the factory marking has been a turkish crescent. The rest of the rifle is "German"
    My question is the following one : was this rifle sent to the Ottoman Empire at the end of the WW1 or was it given after the conflict by the allies to the new Turkish nation ?
    Regards,
    Bertrand

Default Turkish Oberndorf Gew98.

By 1918, Turkey was in dire need of rifles...they were losing them throughout Palestine as the Aussie Light Horse was sweeping up the Turks on the road to Jerusalem and Damascus... Mauser Oberndorf was tasked with supplying Turkey with New Gew98s from its production in 1918...that's why 1918 Obies are rare in European collections or as US/Brit etc.bringbacks from WWI in Europe...they all (almost all) went to Turkey, from where they are (since 1980s) Surfacing.

The majority of Turkish Gew98s came from 1917-18 deliveries...by 1923, Turkey was buying New Vz98/22 from the new factory at Brno in Czechoslovakia. (ZB)

Nobody "Gave" rifles to Turkey after WW I, least of all the perfidious British...who actively "demilitarised" Turkish rifles during the Occupation of 1918-1920 (Turkish troops surrendered the Bolts, and went home with Bolt-less rifles..by 1923, ZB had a contract to replace "Lost" Bolts (both Gew98 and more commonly, Gew88 Komission Bolts).

The Only "allied" Occupier of Turkey (Italy) to give Guns to the Turks was because they (Italy) had been dudded by the British and French on territorial claims in the Adriatic (Ethnic Italian zones in the new Yugoslavia)...in a fit of (generous) pique, they "Lost" their contingent's Rifles etc, when they evacuated their Zone of occupation in Southern Turkey (of course, the Local Turkish Military Commander, just as generously "Found" the rifles after the Italians had departed....The French and British actually were "Pushed" out of Northern Turkey ( Ankara and Istanbul) by Ataturk's Forces (" Firmly but Gently persuaded").
    Many of the Gew98s were then subsequently rebuilt in the 1930s to 1950s refurbishment programs (See my Parallax/Yukos Board survey) into M98/37 Short rifles, M98/38 Short rifles, M98/37 Long Rifles, and lastly, the M98/54 ATF rebuilds; most of the rebuilds were "scrubbed", so that only the three righthand inspection marks notify of the German origin, although occasionally the original Obie address is still visible under the "AsFa Ankara markings.

Un-reconstructed Gew98s had only the Property mark of the Crescent Moon added,
    and also were used , mostly in recruit training, up to the 1960s.

Regards, Doc AV
    AV Ballistics.

Hello DocAV
    Thanks for your complete answer.
    Regards
    Bertrand

I wondered why it seemed only Obies were found in Turkey. Now I know, thanks DocAv.

You will see the same when it comes to Turkish used 98/05 bayonets. Though many makers can be found the vast majority are 1917 dated from Waffenfabrik Mauser...

Great thread! I just received my first Gew98, a Turk'd 1917 Oberndorf.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=93105253
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

I'm pretty sure my 1916 OB GEW98 is a Turk, but I can't find a crescent anywhere on it. I'm just going on overall condition and import stamp...
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

Where guys are too stupid for their own good.

Quote Originally Posted by David Murvihill View Post
    I'm pretty sure my 1916 OB GEW98 is a Turk, but I can't find a crescent anywhere on it. I'm just going on overall condition and import stamp...

Maybe not. The Balkans yielded quite a few Gew98 imports in the early-mid 90's? I forget the exact time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by David Murvihill View Post
    That's my 1917 Obie...nothing Turk except for the import stamp on the barrel, simply ID'ing it as TURKEY 8MM.

Interesting information. A year or so ago I bought a NIM 1917 Oberndorf that appears to be in straight up Imperial configuration. It is all matching except the stock and rear band, which match each other. Interestingly, the buttplate and forward band match the rest of the rifle. I didn't realize it was anything unusual when I bought it, but I learned a lot when I posted it here.

Default 1918 Oberndorf G98

a few years ago in New Zealand I bought an all matching (woodwork and fittings etc .) the stock is untouched with cartouches etc .It has an orig sling . I believe it was a bringback by an Aussie or Kiwi trooper from Palestine as it has a dufflebag(kitbag ) cut under the forward band.
    Last edited by Stew; 03-14-2008 at 12:12 AM.