Question SVT40 stock variants?

I noticed that on all the pics of SVT's I've seen the stock sling arangement on the butt is the same as the Mosin Nagant, an oblong hole through the stock lined with a metal grommet. On my recently acquired SVT the rear of the stock has a screwed in sling swivel, there is no hole that has been repaired or anything. I thought I read somewhere that this type of screwed in sling swivel means Navy, is this true and if so why would the navy have a different sling arrangement? What say you all?

Actually, it's just the opposite. Most SVT's have a swivel on the toe like yours. The ones with the slot through the buttstock are considered the "Naval Infantry" variant (Vic's term for this type).

Scroll down about 3/4 of this page for more info: http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/Svt-Photos1.asp
    Last edited by bones92; 03-12-2008 at 03:05 PM.
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

Good to know.

Thankyou very much bones, I did have that backward. It's always fascinating to learn anything I can about these fine pieces of history.

Quote Originally Posted by bones92 View Post
    Actually, it's just the opposite. Most SVT's have a swivel on the toe like yours. The ones with the slot through the buttstock are considered the "Naval Infantry" variant (Vic's term for this type).

Scroll down about 3/4 of this page for more info: http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/Svt-Photos1.asp
    I did not know that. The SVT I own is a naval variant cool!
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

I read that the Soviets, when they rearsenaled a lot of SVTs, had a surplus of the AVT stocks and put them on instead of the correct style stocks.
    Kevin Standfield
    MSG USA (ret)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life member Post 1503
    Disabled American Veterans Life Member Gen Washington Post 7
    American Legion Life Member Post 290
    NCOA Life Member
    Battalion Executive Officer, 23rd Battalion
    Virginia Defense Force
    Department of Military Affairs, Commonwealth of Virginia
    Oklahoma State University Class of 84

Thumbs up

The AVT stocks are easily ID'd because of the safety notch on both sides of the trigger guard. The safety was also the selector switch. Likewise the AVt trigger guard is different - full width of the housing or almost 2x wider than the SVT guard.
    Sarge