Default Wolff recoil spring for Tokarev ?

My 1953 Romy TTC runs great right out of the box, but I was advised to replace the 60 year old recoil spring with a new one from Wolff. Has anyone done this and if so did it make a difference in how the pistol shot ( smoother recoil, brass not going as far, etc. ) Or should I follow the old, if it ain't broke don't fix it, rule ? -Thanks

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd guess that most of Wolff's business is in selling replacement for perfectly good springs.

Stock springs are good for from 2000 to 6000 plus rounds, although some competition shooters may change them every 1000 rounds. Wolff recommends replacement at 3000 to 5000 rounds. Springs do not get weaker with just age or from being kept compressed, just from cycling, and I doubt very much that your pistol was ever used that much.

If it starts throwing cases too far get a new stock weight spring. I'm not sure how far the typical TT throws brass, but someone should have an idea. 1911 types generally toss empties 3 to 6 feet, depending on the load and spring weight, and if beyond 8 feet the spring is too light or worn out.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

I'll find out soon. A couple days ago I ordered a Wolff spring for my Norinco and it should show up this week.

I have heard that stronger springs hold the action locked slightly long and can improve accuracy. I have not tried it myself, but am curious to try it.

From what I understand (and yes, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!), springs are under partial compression in the weapon and do take some set over the years. For my High Power, I was able to find a range of lengths on-line that showed when that stock spring should be replaced. After thirty years of storage, my recoil spring was right in the middle of the range, so I was fine. You simply take the spring out and measure it, and if it falls in that range and is in otherwise good condition, then re-springing is not necessary. Obviously this only works for that spring in that design, and different manufacturers may have slightly different springs, so this is where a Tokarev expert needs to help out.

My experience has been that steel springs take a set fairly quickly and then just stay there unless shot a lot, so you can't tell if they are worn out from the uncompressed length. On 1911s throw distance is the best measure of wear and of spring adequacy for the load, and the same should be true of all the Tokarevs, which are a modified Browning action. But I don't know what the distance should be for them.

The heavier spring may be slightly improving accuracy by holding the barrel more tightly in the locking lugs. For a small but real improvement in accuracy the lugs need to be properly fitted - something done in competition pistols but not often found in these mass produced military pistols.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

If I'm not in the backyard, I am out in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4 View Post
    My 1953 Romy TTC runs great right out of the box, but I was advised to replace the 60 year old recoil spring with a new one from Wolff. Has anyone done this and if so did it make a difference in how the pistol shot ( smoother recoil, brass not going as far, etc. ) Or should I follow the old, if it ain't broke don't fix it, rule ? -Thanks
    I replaced the recoil spring in my Yugoslavian Tokarev with a Wolff spring, and yes it did improve the performance. The out of battery issues were immediately resolved.
    I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position. I have never said anything to the contrary. ~ Lincoln, Aug. 21, 1858, in remarks stating his belief that blacks were naturally inferior to Whites. http://www.lewrockwell.com/2002/10/a...raham-lincoln/

The Lincoln Myth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgH_NlbM0eM