Thread: G33/40

Default G33/40

I am looking at a bolt mismatched DOT 42 G33/40 rifle. What is a decent price for a rifle like this in good to very good condition? Thanks,Mike
    Last edited by bmwr12; 12-24-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Without pictures, it is difficult to tell. It could have other issues you may not recognize. Ask seller for pictures.

Im waiting on pics.

8 to 12 hundred Foxmanmt

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

I have two, one with a mis-matched bolt. Paid $39 for the one and $69 for the matching one. We will not discuss when I purchased these except to say that I wish that I had acquired more of them back then.
    Charlie

wish that I had acquired more of them back then.
    Don't we all. S&D Bookstore in Indiana, Pa. Had a shed filled to the top with them they were originally destined for either Montgomery Ward or Sears. They refused the shipment because of the copious amounts of cosmoline in them. You could pick one up there for $35.00 or hand pick your own for $39.00.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act, but a habit- -- Aristotle

Looking for cocking sleeve #75.

Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    Don't we all. S&D Bookstore in Indiana, Pa. Had a shed filled to the top with them they were originally destined for either Montgomery Ward or Sears. They refused the shipment because of the copious amounts of cosmoline in them. You could pick one up there for $35.00 or hand pick your own for $39.00.
    The thought of SEARS selling military surplus firearms makes me laugh. I can't imagine what it used to be like!
    Looking to buy Finnish M28s, M28/30s, M24s, and M27s

Also looking for any Finnish matching M91/30s!!!!!! PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    The thought of SEARS selling military surplus firearms makes me laugh. I can't imagine what it used to be like!
    When I was 15, I was at a festival at my high school (inside the building). They had a raffle for some firearms. I won the first drawing. Had to choose between a rifle and pistol. I chose the rifle. Then I walked (3 miles) home, thru town carrying the rifle. Walked into the house and said to my parents -- look what I won.

A few weeks later, I went to the local gun shop - about 4 miles from home. (Still 15) Purchased a pistol (38 caliber) and a box of ammo. Put them in the basket on my bike and peddled home. My dad, when he found out what I purchased, then made a pistol range for me in the basement.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by cpw View Post
    When I was 15, I was at a festival at my high school (inside the building). They had a raffle for some firearms. I won the first drawing. Had to choose between a rifle and pistol. I chose the rifle. Then I walked (3 miles) home, thru town carrying the rifle. Walked into the house and said to my parents -- look what I won.

A few weeks later, I went to the local gun shop - about 4 miles from home. (Still 15) Purchased a pistol (38 caliber) and a box of ammo. Put them in the basket on my bike and peddled home. My dad, when he found out what I purchased, then made a pistol range for me in the basement.
    A couple of months later, I went back to the gun shop and purchased a K98k. (Again on my bike and peddled home.)
    Charlie

That is hilarious and awesome all at the same time! It is a shame what the world has turned into.
    Looking to buy Finnish M28s, M28/30s, M24s, and M27s

Also looking for any Finnish matching M91/30s!!!!!! PM me

IMAGINE: Walking into an old Hardware store. The kind that had the old oiled oak wood floors and in the "Sporting Goods" dept. sat two large wooden barrels full of Mausers and Arisakas. You picked your choice for under $25.00. They would also sell you ammo by the round, half box or full box. High schools also had competitive marksman competition.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act, but a habit- -- Aristotle

Also when I was in high school, our PT instructor was a Marine (from the recruiting office). Somehow he was able to bring M1 Garands. Learned the manual of arms, close order drill, etc. At 13, I could strip an M1 Garand and none of us ever injured our thumbs. At 14 & 15, we were allowed to put bayonets on the rifles.
    Charlie

We had Garands in boot camp and to the delight of the DI's, there were quite a few who were already familiar with detail stripping both those and .45's. Most of us had joined from the midwest and were also competent on the range. Some guys had to get used to peep sights but they adapted quickly. We also had a high percentage of NRA members. How times have changed...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwr12 View Post
    I am looking at a bolt mismatched DOT 42 G33/40 rifle. What is a decent price for a rifle like this in good to very good condition? Thanks,Mike
    Well there a prized possession in todays collecting world.

In average condition with a mismatched bolt---The ones I have seen for sale in the last year (which is a good indication) where $1,400-$1,650 and sold within a day.

The correctly matching examples--wow, the sky's the limit, but I have seen correct ones sell for $1,800-$2,600 in a heart beat.

And I see no reason why the correctly matching g33/40's don't match correct German k98 prices IMO...condition for condition.

BAF
    Never argue with an idiot.
    First they bring you down to their level......
    and then beat you with experience.

Artificial Intelligence
    is no match for.........
    NATURAL STUPIDITY !!!
    Looking for the following stolen firearms, reward up to $500.00 PER GUN!
    Finn M28/30 serial number 38804
    Finn M28/30 serial number 55435
    Yugo M48 serial number K17859
    Winchester model 90 pump .22lr serial number 745302

Here are some pics waiting for more http://s187.photobucket.com/user/bmwr12/library/g3340

Does it have a hollow bolt ball?

yes

Quote Originally Posted by boltactionsforever View Post
    Well there a prized possession in todays collecting world.

In average condition with a mismatched bolt---The ones I have seen for sale in the last year (which is a good indication) where $1,400-$1,650 and sold within a day.

The correctly matching examples--wow, the sky's the limit, but I have seen correct ones sell for $1,800-$2,600 in a heart beat.

And I see no reason why the correctly matching g33/40's don't match correct German k98 prices IMO...condition for condition.

BAF
    I would have to agree that these statements are correct.
    CaptMax

I saw one at a dealer for 1500, mm bolt but G33 bolt and sanded stock ( no markings left ). I think it's worth about 6- 700. Any thoughts.

The cheapest Ive seen them lately is right around the 1K mark. And that was for one that had some stock "modifications" to it. It did have a matching bolt though.

A couple of months later, I went back to the gun shop and purchased a K98. (Again on my bike and peddled home.)
    Still have the K98. Has funny marks on it (see picture) which I figured were fake. But I purchased it (along with the sling) in 1955 for $10, so I can't complain. Good shooter. Took it's share. But thinking about putting a scope on it as my eyes are no longer what they were.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K98 (1)-a.jpg  
    Charlie

Are you being sarcastic with this post? If you are thinking of putting a scope on that you need more than your eyes checked From what little I know of SS reworks your rifle has all the traits that make it legit. I'd say your $10 investment has gone up exponentially. Let's see some more pictures of it.

Still have the K98. Has funny marks on it (see picture) which I figured were fake. But I purchased it (along with the sling) in 1955 for $10, so I can't complain. Good shooter. Took it's share. But thinking about putting a scope on it as my eyes are no longer what they were.

You bought if for 10 bucks.., Ill buy it for 20? You can double your investment .

that is worth WAY, WAY more than $10 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad70 View Post
    Are you being sarcastic with this post? If you are thinking of putting a scope on that you need more than your eyes checked From what little I know of SS reworks your rifle has all the traits that make it legit. I'd say your $10 investment has gone up exponentially. Let's see some more pictures of it.
    I am not being sarcastic, but it is my rifle and I will do with it what I wish. It is a good rifle and has served me well over the years. All of my rifles are stored elsewhere due to space constraints. (The new house we moved into some years ago is not as spacious.) So I will have to wait until I get to them again.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by ezai View Post
    You bought if for 10 bucks.., Ill buy it for 20? You can double your investment .
    Sorry, but it was my second rifle (first rifle was a 22 which I won at a raffle at my high school). I purchased the rifle (K98) when I was 15 years old and had to ride my bike to and from the gun store. (I still have the 22 and also the 38 pistol which I purchased back then.) We have a long attachment going.
    Charlie

I am not being sarcastic, but it is my rifle and I will do with it what I wish. It is a good rifle and has served me well over the years. All of my rifles are stored elsewhere due to space constraints. (The new house we moved into some years ago is not as spacious.) So I will have to wait until I get to them again.

Do you even realize or comprehend the possibility and value of what you have?!

Quote Originally Posted by THunter View Post
    No he doesn't. Thats the way the world works.
    "Don't rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world stood up and stopped the bastard, the bitch that bore him is in heat again." -Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp2.0 View Post

In that case, he can go ahead and drill/tap/tactical the sh!t out of it.

I cant wait to see how it turns out. Looking forward to that thread for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by THunter View Post
    Actually I never thought too much about it. It was my second rifle, first large caliber, which I purchased when I was 15. I have never researched the value as I do not care (for the foregoing reason). I could if I was interested, but since I have no intentions of selling it, the value, whether it be high or low, makes no difference.

I have 4 weapons which I will never part with, although my kids will sell them when I die. The weapons are my first 22 rifle, the K98, my first pistol (38cal) and, my artillery luger. The artillery luger was given to me as a present by my wife shortly after we were married. It is 1915 date, 95%, with one matching magazine, a matching numbered stock, and the proper full leather to go with it. The other 53 lugers and other weapons do not have the same attachment.

I do have a M1 Garand which was part of the lend lease shipment to England. Never reworked. Good shooter. I think I was 16 when I purchased that one.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp2.0 View Post
    I have been around. One half of one wall of my gun room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5912d.jpg  
    Charlie

You don't have to think of it totally in monetary value. It potentially has a lot of collector value. Please learn more about it before you do something that will ruin it. It's obviously something you have sentimental attachment to and might be enhanced with some knowledge about what you have. I'm not preaching to you, I just don't want to see you do something really bad to an uncommon rifle.

Actually I never thought too much about it. It was my second rifle, first large caliber, which I purchased when I was 15. I have never researched the value as I do not care (for the foregoing reason). I could if I was interested, but since I have no intentions of selling it, the value, whether it be high or low, makes no difference.

I have 4 weapons which I will never part with, although my kids will sell them when I die. The weapons are my first 22 rifle, the K98, my first pistol (38cal) and, my artillery luger. The artillery luger was given to me as a present by my wife shortly after we were married. It is 1915 date, 95%, with one matching magazine, a matching numbered stock, and the proper full leather to go with it. The other 53 lugers and other weapons do not have the same attachment.

I do have a M1 Garand which was part of the lend lease shipment to England. Never reworked. Good shooter. I think I was 16 when I purchased that one.

If you saw a fraction of Charlie's collection, you would understand. This rifle is a drip in his bucket value wise, but huge in his prized assets.

Charlie has Browning HP prototypes, regular production serial number 1, 2 and who knows what else. He has a blue bnz Radom, only one I have ever seen or heard of. He has more second K block Radoms P35(p)s than most people will see in a lifetime. Many are one of a kind and many examples so rare very few will ever see such an example. Not to mention rare PPKs including Party leaders, SS, etc.. Then there is the M1911 USMC in the first block of serial numbers ever issued to the Marines in nice original condition. If he does a display at a show, you want be there.

This K98 is just a drip in the bucket from a financial standpoint, and he knows this is a rare rifle.

Look forward to seeing you at NGD/SOS Charlie. I think they are lusting for this K98 in a manner in which I lust for the USMC m1911, but the USMC is much more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    If you saw a fraction of Charlie's collection, you would understand. This rifle is a drip in his bucket value wise, but huge in his prized assets.

Charlie has Browning HP prototypes, regular production serial number 1, 2 and who knows what else. He has a blue bnz Radom, only one I have ever seen or heard of. He has more second K block Radoms P35(p)s than most people will see in a lifetime. Many are one of a kind and many examples so rare very few will ever see such an example. Not to mention rare PPKs including Party leaders, SS, etc.. Then there is the M1911 USMC in the first block of serial numbers ever issued to the Marines in nice original condition. If he does a display at a show, you want be there.

This K98 is just a drip in the bucket from a financial standpoint, and he knows this is a rare rifle.

Look forward to seeing you at NGD/SOS Charlie. I think they are lusting for this K98 in a manner in which I lust for the USMC m1911, but the USMC is much more valuable.
    Ahhh that puts everything in perspective.
    "Don't rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world stood up and stopped the bastard, the bitch that bore him is in heat again." -Bertolt Brecht

Always thought it was a "drop in the bucket", I guess the drip is even less than that?

Quote Originally Posted by foxmanmt View Post
    8 to 12 hundred Foxmanmt
    +1 if the rifle has all correct G33/40 parts.

I sold a couple a year or so ago that were very nice, one with a walnut stock and one with laminate. They both had mis-matched bolts but had all correct G33/40 parts and were in good condition. One sold for $850, the other $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post

Charlie has Browning HP prototypes, regular production serial number 1, 2 and who knows what else.

Actually, it is serial nos. 1 and 5. Serial No. 2 is an Oval Port Hi Power which came before the 1935 changes.
    Charlie