Default Fulton regulated Lee-Enfield SMLE target rifle

A local shop here just got in a 1917 Enfield arsenal ShtLE No 1 MkIII that was reworked for target shooting with a Parker Hale rear sight. It's in beautiful shape and exhibits excellent workmanship. Are they marked in any way to indicate when the Fulton regulating was done. It was great to hold it and look it over, but having to put on new roof soon has put a crimp on my gun buying for a while. The asking price is $795, as I've never seen one before is that in line for one?
    NavyGunner

I'm a political refugee from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts

Default Fulton Regulated

Hi all

usually there is no date stamped or stenciled. But these rifles are clearly stamped with
    'FULTON REGULATED' and have heavy barrel fitted as well as bedding and screws tightening the foreend and action see below photos.

My rifle is fitted with AJP Ball Burnished heavy barrel

be safe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 90.JPG   P3150090.JPG   P3150091.JPG   P3150092.JPG   P3150094.JPG  
    Last edited by 1Turk; 03-15-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: forgot to sign

Turk, yes, the rifle I looked at is just like yours.
    NavyGunner

I'm a political refugee from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts

they tend to be very accurate..mine is ....

get it if you can..you wont be sorry

Ball-burnished barrels usually have the words 'Ball-Burnished' stamped around the annulus of the muzzle.

tac

Default Interesting strap over the top wood

Hi 1Turk, can you describe how the barrel is bedded? I have never seen a strap over the top wood before.

cheers

The additional band over the forewood is common on Target Rifle converted SMLEs. The barrel is bedded in the foreend, usually on cork or similar, from the the receiver through to the nose cap. The front hanguard is also packed out with cork and the extra band applies downward pressure to control barrel vibrations. If the bedding is in good order and the action and barrel are central in the woodwork and the actions screws are tight and good quality ammunition is used, or handloads, then accuracy will be very good.

Enjoy your shooting

mine 'Ball Barnished' stamped on top of the chamber...if you look at the fourth photo above you can just about to read it/////

1turk

Quote Originally Posted by 1Turk View Post
    mine 'Ball Barnished' stamped on top of the chamber...if you look at the fourth photo above you can just about to read it///// 1turk
    Yuppers, there it be.

tac

Default Regulated by Fulton

If you have the forestock off, check the underside of the barrel. It may have "Regulated by Fulton" stamped on it. Also, I have seen presentation rifles, or personal target rifles with the owner's name engraved on the top of the receiver over the chamber.

Years ago, at an Edmonton, Alberta, Gun Show, a guy came up to my table, looked at the Lee Enfields, and then announced that he had one similar at home. He then stated that it had cork under the forestock when he cut it down for a sporter.

I asked him if it was just as accurate now, after he had cut it, and he admitted it was not.

I then asked him if it was stamped under the barrel, with something like "regulated by ........."

He said "Yes, regulated by Fulton. What did that mean."

I told him that it meant he had taken a $500 target rifle and made a $35 sporter out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by buffdog View Post
    [SIZE=3]
    I told him that it meant he had taken a $500 target rifle and made a $35 sporter out of it.
    You were probably being kind to him by overestimating its residual value?
    Molon Labe!

Similar situation. Picked up a NZ carbine at a pawn shop where the previous owner had chopped the forend and thrown away the handguard and nosecap. Took me several years to restore it.
    If one thinks about it a bit, this was a CARBINE and already short and handy enough without further butchery.
    In this case bubba had taken an $800 carbine and turned it into a $75 one.
    Last edited by John Sukey; 04-13-2008 at 09:37 PM.

You could contact http://www.fultonsofbisley.com/ for info if you wished to ask something specific about the rifle. Personally, I think $795 sounds perhaps a bit much (in the USA) for one of these, unless it is outstanding. They fetch about the same as military spec SMLEs in the same condition in the UK - probably because historic military rifle shooting is more popular than historic target rifle shooting.
    "The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past". (William Faulkner)