Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Upstate, SC
    Posts
    1,005

    Default Redneck Landmines

    Anybody ever hear of these? A guy showed me how to build them, but I would never plant one on my property unless we were invaded. All you use is a buckshot shotgun shell, a piece of plywood, a screw, short piece of pvc pipe and a small piece of luan from a cheap made door. I wouldn't want to step on that thing. Ouch. There may be stae or federal laws about these things. Like I said, last ditch survival tool.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    One Floor above Hell
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    A favorite trick of the Viet Cong. They used to put a nail in the bottom of a piece of bamboo with a round in it, someone steps on it and forces the round into the nail- boom. Cheap and effective.

    "My dog leaves land-mines all over the place in the park!"
    Last edited by Bingo; 03-16-2008 at 07:59 PM.
    Free men own guns- Slaves don't
    RIP- my dear dog Jake 1998-3/11/2011 (pictured in Avatar)
    The home of Bosco- my new Black Lab
    Molon Labe....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Upstate, SC
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    That's where I learned it, not as a VC, of course!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,141

    Default

    I think the Italians had a similar "Toe Popper" in WWII.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    One-Two One-Two Boogie Woogie Avenue, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,510

    Default Bingo! Bingo...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    A favorite trick of the Viet Cong. They used to put a nail in the bottom of a piece of bamboo with a round in it, someone steps on it and forces the round into the nail- boom. Cheap and effective.

    "My dog leaves land-mines all over the place in the park!"
    Saw pictures of them (bamboo booby traps) in school at Ft. Hood. Never saw any in person...
    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
    Edmund Burke - 1770

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mercer County, PA
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshooter View Post
    Anybody ever hear of these? A guy showed me how to build them, but I would never plant one on my property unless we were invaded. All you use is a buckshot shotgun shell, a piece of plywood, a screw, short piece of pvc pipe and a small piece of luan from a cheap made door. I wouldn't want to step on that thing. Ouch. There may be stae or federal laws about these things. Like I said, last ditch survival tool.

    Way back in a different lifetime, the VC used these.
    They were made from a 5.56 or 7.62 round in a piece of bamboo.
    Thus the steel insole in jungle boots of the time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    One Floor above Hell
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    Way back in a different lifetime, the VC used these.
    They were made from a 5.56 or 7.62 round in a piece of bamboo.
    Thus the steel insole in jungle boots of the time.
    The steel insole in the US GI's combat boot was for Punji sticks not the .223 or .308 rounds you spoke about above.
    Free men own guns- Slaves don't
    RIP- my dear dog Jake 1998-3/11/2011 (pictured in Avatar)
    The home of Bosco- my new Black Lab
    Molon Labe....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    278

    Default

    They make a thing that you are supposed to put some type of signal flare in but a readily adaptable to shot gun shell. The come with a spring-loaded triggering device, screws for mounting and trip wire. Not sure of the laws.

    By the way, we are being invaded. From south of the boarder & from them damn yankees trying to get away from the big city & high taxes.
    Facefart: A burp that smells so bad you wish it had come out the other end.

  9. #9
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    22,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Facefart View Post
    By the way, we are being invaded. From south of the boarder & from them damn yankees trying to get away from the big city & high taxes.
    Be careful, they will bring the taxes and regulations with them.
    Charlie

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mercer County, PA
    Posts
    1,312

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    The steel insole in the US GI's combat boot was for Punji sticks not the .223 or .308 rounds you spoke about above.

    I remember now - so much for 40 year old memories .....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Another version I'd seen as used in pot fields in northern California had a rat trap with a hole drilled in it to secure the shotgun shell, with the wire arm of the trap bent to strike the shell.
    Member: SEGMC; MSR-16

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    BFK
    Posts
    884

    Default

    I have heard of that version....used to booby trap meth labs here.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    Another version I'd seen as used in pot fields in northern California had a rat trap with a hole drilled in it to secure the shotgun shell, with the wire arm of the trap bent to strike the shell.

    I totally forgot about that!! Thanx for reminding me!
    Facefart: A burp that smells so bad you wish it had come out the other end.

  14. #14

    Default

    While these things sound good, in reality they are like the trip flares we used to set up. It will let you know someone is out there, but they aren’t going to stop anyone. At least with a trip flare you could see exactly where they were.

    When a round detonates outside of a chamber it is really very unspectacular. If it isn’t in a pipe or something to contain the pressure, it will just rupture the case, the bullet will not go much of anywhere and the only danger is that you might get a very minor cut from a brass fragment.

    Of course that will not stop the powers-at-be from prosecuting you and making it sound like you were endangering every man woman and child in a 10 mile radius. My advice is to leave those things to the gun-show-commandos and keep the ammo for your gun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •