Where is all the WWII era/dated 7.62x54r rounds? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is all the WWII era/dated 7.62x54r rounds?

Back in the early 80's (before the imports opened up again) I bought several packs of 7.62X54R at a flea market in Memphis. It was Finnish re-packs of Russian mfg with dates from the 20's up. There were a few rounds from WWII in the bunch. I shot a number of them (to the best of my memory all that I tried fired) before deciding that they might be collectible and ended up trading the rest to a collector I knew at a local gun show for some old rim-fire stuff that I was more interested in collecting at the time.

There was some imported Yugo ammo in the 15 round boxes some years back. It wasn't m30, but rather Soviet rebuilt m08 ammo. All was dated from 44-46, but the primers were replaced with new ones that were sealed in red. Ammo was sure fire, but many split at neck or shoulder on firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Does anyone have any? I've never even SEEN WWII Soviet ammo I don't think.
    I have some Soviet 7.62 x 25 Tokarev and 7.62 x 38R which had been captured during World War and never used - likely because Finnish soldiers took the ammo with to home along captured pistols and revolvers. I shot some of the ammo few years back to test what kind of muzzle velocity they produced - every single round worked as intended and they even proved to be still fairly uniform as far as muzzle velocities were concerned. World War 2 era Soviet 7.62 x 54R also seems quite common in here - both in original packages and as captured repackaged ammo. But none of these is available in such quanties that they could be bought by crateful.

Jarkko

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I bought quite a bit of repackaged 54R from AIM about 10-12 years ago (maybe a bit longer). It was repackaged by the Finns IIRC. It was sure fire but brittle cases that split often. I still have a small amount

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Does anyone have any? I've never even SEEN WWII Soviet ammo I don't think.
    Few years back I bought online a couple wooden crates of Soviet 1944 dated in stripper clips.. It was so cheap, felt I bought the Stripper clips and got the ammo for free. Some were saying they had problems with it, but for me it went bang when supposed to and is fairly accurate.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL View Post
    Few years back I bought online a couple wooden crates of Soviet 1944 dated in stripper clips.. It was so cheap, felt I bought the Stripper clips and got the ammo for free. Some were saying they had problems with it, but for me it went bang when supposed to and is fairly accurate.
    If that was the stuff I recall, I ordered some and received was whatever early 1950's year used the Д code. Your crates must have been some of the earliest batches imported at that time.

I don't have any war year Russian 7.62x54r either. I have some Tula dated stuff in 1926, some 29/3B, some 60/29, some Lugansk 26 and 27 dated ammo. Some Lugansk 2-26, some Tula 34. Then I jump up all the way to 1949. I do have some Finn VPT during the war years though.

This WWII era API for the the ShKAS was fairly common at gun shows in the Mid-South a few years back. The hardened cores are much rougher than those from the post war era.

Freedom isn't free!

The only ones I have seen were, as mentioned, Soviet surplus repacked in Yugoslavian boxes. Late forties or early fifties repack dates

Here's two packs of 1945 dated ammo

Was a third pack that I opened, loaded onto strippers and fired off half. It was all junk so I stopped

Hard to read but 60 over 45

Single round of 1929 dated

29 over 3B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be what Louie described earlier and I echoed a few spaces below him.
    I went back and dug it out. IIRC, it came from AIM and was described as "Russian re-pack".
    Some boxes are '46 and some are '45 dated. I only opened a couple of boxes. Arsenal code
    is hard to read but may be "188". I have a 50 cal ammo can full of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6102.JPG   IMG_6103.JPG   IMG_6106.JPG   IMG_6108.JPG  

I bought 3 crates on strippes back in the day, two were 1945 and one was 1946... I also own a machine gun crate (sealed still) and its 1944 dated, if I recall correctly.

Those rounds that were repacked by the Yugos had a lot of oddball factory codes on them. Many were factories that closed down after the war. Also I had from 44 to 46 in that batch, but the head stamps were real hard to read on some of them.

ive got some 39 heavy ball

I've got a sealed can of 1945 dated stuff, got it through an old time collector.

I also have 2 boxes of brass cased 1936 and 1 box of cupro-nickel WW1 dated rounds from an old gun shop. I'd have to dig the cupro-nickel rounds out to verify date.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12