Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 7.62x25 never to be produced again?

I can't find any anywhere. I see some super expensive surplus on an auction site once in a while which one would think indicates that their is a need for it, but nobody seems to want to produce it anymore. Does Prvi plan on making it again? I bought a PPS-43 and I'm quite upset at the lack of ammo for it.

Everwhere is sold out of Prvi in practically every caliber.I would sure hope that they catch up before too long.

Everybody is focusing on producing the major crop calibers....9mm, 40, 45....

Trolling around the last big gunshow (December 2013 - Oaks, Pa.), I noticed a ammo-dealer had 4 boxes of PPU 7.62x25mm hollow-point. I couldn't believe it. Bought them all for $100.

Lads: This is a obsolete caliber not used by Russians any more and like all surplus ammo, it will run out.

Just a fact. Think 303 British, 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser,9mm Steyr, 9mm Largo, 7.5 French, 30 Luger, etc etc etc.

WWII: long time ago and the well runs dry on surplus ammo

Get it while you can and stock it deep.

I think China still makes it. To bad it can not be imported thanks to the pervert.

Quote Originally Posted by bitrclngr View Post
    I think China still makes it. To bad it can not be imported thanks to the pervert.
    Plenty of companies are tooled up for it. Prvi, S&B, Wolf/Fiocchi, etc. They are just not running the lines with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascucci91/41 View Post
    I can't find any anywhere. I see some super expensive surplus on an auction site once in a while which one would think indicates that their is a need for it, but nobody seems to want to produce it anymore. Does Prvi plan on making it again? I bought a PPS-43 and I'm quite upset at the lack of ammo for it.
    This is why I'm considering the new 9mm version, ammo is and will be available .

Quote Originally Posted by pgaplayerless View Post
    Plenty of companies are tooled up for it. Prvi, S&B, Wolf/Fiocchi, etc. They are just not running the lines with it.
    Right, but Wolf is made by Prvi and Fiocchi does not produce 7.62x25mm.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

Quote Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
    Right, but Wolf is made by Prvi and Fiocchi does not produce 7.62x25mm.

What about TULAMMO..........is that made by WOLF too??

I wanted to, and still do, want to buy a PPS-43, but ammo I find for sale on GB is outrageous in price..........

Quote Originally Posted by panzerfaust44 View Post
    What about TULAMMO..........is that made by WOLF too??

I wanted to, and still do, want to buy a PPS-43, but ammo I find for sale on GB is outrageous in price..........
    Wolf does not "make" anything...it is a sales organization and all their product is made under contract to a number of Russian, German, Serbian, etc mfgs. TULA Ammo (steel case) is Tula mfg (Russia) but the Tula Brass ammo is contract at other European makers. It is confusing..but the fine print on the ammo box will tell you the place of mfg.

This kind of an obscure caliber from the get go and certainly isn't as in demand as say 7.62X39 or 7.62X 54. Not worth it for the ammo manufacturers to produce I guessMaybe the reloading component companioes will see this as an opportunity and will produce dies etc and maybe somebody will produce empty reloadable cases, so at least in that regard you can still enjoy your firearm in this caliber.

I've been watching the Romanian 1224 round cans on Gunbroker lately and they are bringing about $470. With shipping this stuff is selling for $0.40/round. I suppose it's not that far off the price of .40 S&W these days, though. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that you could get cans from AIM Surplus for $120! I suspect those days are gone forever.

A Russian company called "AKBS" has started to produce commercial 7.62 Tokarev ammo, but to-date I have only seen pics. Same with new production POF Tokarev ammo. We are now getting Pakistani pistols, perhaps they will import some of their factory-made ammo also.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    A Russian company called "AKBS" has started to produce commercial 7.62 Tokarev ammo, but to-date I have only seen pics. Same with new production POF Tokarev ammo. We are now getting Pakistani pistols, perhaps they will import some of their factory-made ammo also.
    I saw the Tokarev ammo on AKBSs site....brass cased and boxer primed, but current trade agreements do not allow Russia to export that caliber to the USA.

Factory ammo is slowly recovering, 9mm and .22 still in short supply, esp .22. I would say that surplus is pretty much gone for 7.62x25.

Reload.

It is easy enough to squeeze down .223 brass to make 7.62X25 (or 7.63 Mauser, for that matter). It may or may not fit your pistol after sizing, but the problem will be a too-thick case neck, and that is why they sell neck-turners.

If you don't want to neck-turn the brass, another possibility is to get somebody to open up the chamber neck of your pistol JUST SLIGHTLY to accommodate the thicker case neck of the raw resized brass. Not recommended, but it would work for you.

My Broomhandle (7.63 Mauser shares the same case dimensions) accepts unturned, squeezed-down, .223 brass without a single complaint, and I needed to do nothing to the chamber to make the ammo fit.

My TT33 and my CZ52, on the other hand are a bit tighter, and do need the cases played with a bit.

I am pretty cheap. Typically, I shoot my .223 until it starts getting neck cracks. Usually the back end of the case is still just fine. Its next life for that 'worn out' brass is as 7.63 or 7.62X25 (I use the same load for both).

Quote Originally Posted by M16A2556MM View Post
    Factory ammo is slowly recovering, 9mm and .22 still in short supply, esp .22. I would say that surplus is pretty much gone for 7.62x25.
    m16........you know I always remember you on here...........not by your Gunboards name.......but a lot more so by your Avatar pic.......which is nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascucci91/41 View Post
    Sent you an email. The Caliber is worth it, worth the effort - just do not give up.

There still is x25 out there, you just have to hunt and that is part of this deal, this hobby anyway, isn't it ?

Try:
    * Put yourself on waiting lists at AIM & SGAmmo ... I picked up 250 rnds of PPU FMJ from AIM at $16.-$17. a box abt. 2 months ago by doing that.
    http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol...ion/762x25-tok

* Post some WTB's here on GB
    or
    * Post on GB here to Offer a Trade up (or Trade for CASH !!) to interest someone in letting go of some ??

(For example, I personally need .32 S & W short so I would Trade surplus/current 7.62x25 )

Good Luck ! TOK(arev)

Last edited by TOK; 01-31-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Today's "outrageous" is tomorrow's "I wish I had bought some". It is available, just look around and don't be a "cheap Charlie".
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

I think I've seen some stuff that Century's Red Army Standard ammo line will be having 7.62 x25...
    ref: https://www.facebook.com/RedArmyStandard

*3rd Quarter of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Layer Cake View Post
    I think I've seen some stuff that Century's Red Army Standard ammo line will be having 7.62 x25...
    ref: https://www.facebook.com/RedArmyStandard

*3rd Quarter of 2014
    Sounds promising, hope they follow through. Wonder where it will be made ?

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4 View Post
    Sounds promising, hope they follow through. Wonder where it will be made ?
    As long as we can get it, who cares.
    Damn, That's gonna leave a mark!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironnewt View Post
    As long as we can get it, who cares.
    Ya, I don't care just curious. Maybe Ukraine or Romania ? Cheaper steel cased would be fine with me.

Watch the price of surplus fall if RAS becomes common place.

Bill

I'm surprised you cannot find any at all. I don't shoot x25 but I watch for it here and there when I'm out ammo shopping. Seems fairly common, in fact the gun store downtown had a big stack of Brown Bear and Winchester. In any case it is way more common than 7.62 Nagant, don't complain!!!

Regarding RAS ammo - meh. Just another brand, I'll shoot it if it's cheap enough, but so far in 7.62x39 it is definitely NOT. $7/box for RAS or $5/box for Tula at Walmart...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by shran View Post
    Seems fairly common, in fact the gun store downtown had a big stack of Brown Bear and Winchester. ..
    "Brown Bear 7.62x25"?........I am calling 'wishfull thinking' on that one!

If they still have it next time I'm there I will take a picture or something. My memory is a little foggy but it was certainly in a green box and said 7.62x25 on it.

Brown Bear is made in Barnaul , Russia; so Brown Bear 7.62x25 if it did exist can not be imported into the US. As no Russian made 7.62x25 can be imported into the US. As far as the Winchester, being stacked up I bet the price has something to do with that.

I'll assume the Brown Bear mentioned, is really the much more likely S&B, which I also believe made the Winchester in the past, if not currently. A lot of x25 is out there, it's just "pricey", relative to it's earlier bargain prices.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/762x25/ I check every day its in its out its back again.

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

i went to red army's web page and filled out their contact information and asked if there was any plans for 7.62x25 in the future, got a answer late this afternoon. "we should see some by mid year" no other info as to pricing or anything else. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Appalachain American

Ordered some 7.62x25 from SPG today, Sellier& Belloit.

I said this on another forum or maybe here.
    So many of these guns were imported I can't see some company not producing it.
    I would not mind paying a little more from bass cased and boxer primed ammo we can reload.
    I have my fingers crossed for sure.
    I still have a couple of spam cans full.
    Still that's not much ammo in the full scope of my shooting.
    The Republic of Texas Not just a state but an attitude!

For monthly shooting events in DFW TX visit me at:
    www.meetup.com/TexasGunOwner-DFW/

I've got a polish tokarev with nothing to eat.

+1 on using recycled .223 brass to reload. I reloaded 100 rounds this afternoon for my TTC.

Hit up every ma and pa store you can. Just last month i stumbled on a new ma and pa store that sold x25 surplus. After talking to the guy i ended up buying two 2230 rounf crates of Czech x25 and four 1400 round crates of Turk 8mm surplus in bandoliers. Its still out there and youll find it eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by angelnhigh View Post
    Hit up every ma and pa store you can. Just last month i stumbled on a new ma and pa store that sold x25 surplus. After talking to the guy i ended up buying two 2230 rounf crates of Czech x25 and four 1400 round crates of Turk 8mm surplus in bandoliers. Its still out there and youll find it eventually!
    Shoot that Czech 7.62x25 up pronto! Most of it is at the age where you will see hang fires and duds. Some have had better luck than me.

Well I ordered 1,000 pieces of Startline brass last year and it delivered a few days ago.
    So I feel much better knowing I have re-loadable brass now and don't have to use my 5.56 brass.
    When I order the brass from Starline I spoke with a rep who "claimed" they only make that run once a year but now since no more will be imported they "may" starting having 2 production runs of 7.62x25 brass a year.
    I still expect to see a major ammo manufacturer step up and start producing it here in the US.
    The Republic of Texas Not just a state but an attitude!

For monthly shooting events in DFW TX visit me at:
    www.meetup.com/TexasGunOwner-DFW/

ammolab> Does it extend the life at all that both are still sealed in their galvanized containers inside the crate? I bought a couple of 40 round boxes out of an open crate he had and the headstamp on them is aym 53

*NO WTS ads in this forum*
    Last edited by Mike O; 08-07-2014 at 08:56 AM.

ammolab> Does it extend the life at all that both are still sealed in their galvanized containers inside the crate? I bought a couple of 40 round boxes out of an open crate he had and the headstamp on them is aym 53
    The storage may be a BIG issue! That crate has only a tar paper wrap, not a sealed tin, right? But more important is that the Czechs sent weapons and ammo all over. 50 years in a cool Czech warehouse is nice on ammo...50years in the Libian sunshine is murder! I may have had stuff imported from an export stash of Czech weapons.

I would open one of those crates and put em to the shooting test...only way to know.
    Last edited by ammolab; 08-07-2014 at 12:32 PM.

The crate I shoot from has the tar paper. The other one isn't tar paper. Inside the crate is sealed metal

The crate I shoot from has the tar paper. The other one isn't tar paper. Inside the crate is sealed metal
    What date is on the sealed metal case? Can you show a photo of the label? Have you shot from the tar paper case? Good stuff, Si or no?

Away on business right now but will be home tomorrow night to take pics and answer questions. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast