Gunboards Forums banner

7.62x25 never to be produced again?

17K views 61 replies 33 participants last post by  ammolab 
#1 ·
I can't find any anywhere. I see some super expensive surplus on an auction site once in a while which one would think indicates that their is a need for it, but nobody seems to want to produce it anymore. Does Prvi plan on making it again? I bought a PPS-43 and I'm quite upset at the lack of ammo for it.

#5 ·
Lads: This is a obsolete caliber not used by Russians any more and like all surplus ammo, it will run out.

Just a fact. Think 303 British, 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser,9mm Steyr, 9mm Largo, 7.5 French, 30 Luger, etc etc etc.

WWII: long time ago and the well runs dry on surplus ammo

Get it while you can and stock it deep.

#53 ·
Lads: This is a obsolete caliber not used by Russians any more and like all surplus ammo, it will run out.

Just a fact. Think 303 British, 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser,9mm Steyr, 9mm Largo, 7.5 French, 30 Luger, etc etc etc.

WWII: long time ago and the well runs dry on surplus ammo

Get it while you can and stock it deep.
Good thing I stocked up on several cases 8mm Turk at $79 /1400 rd and several thousand rds of Yugo and Czech to boot years ago. I got a good Turk lot on request and the Yugo stuff is simply beautiful. I think the Czech is what they call floor sweepings...dingy looking but no verdigris or cracks, etc. I sat in the floor surrounded by several lot matched piles for hours sorting that stuff....paid off though cause it shoots great.

#8 ·
I can't find any anywhere. I see some super expensive surplus on an auction site once in a while which one would think indicates that their is a need for it, but nobody seems to want to produce it anymore. Does Prvi plan on making it again? I bought a PPS-43 and I'm quite upset at the lack of ammo for it.
This is why I'm considering the new 9mm version, ammo is and will be available .

#12 ·
This kind of an obscure caliber from the get go and certainly isn't as in demand as say 7.62X39 or 7.62X 54. Not worth it for the ammo manufacturers to produce I guessMaybe the reloading component companioes will see this as an opportunity and will produce dies etc and maybe somebody will produce empty reloadable cases, so at least in that regard you can still enjoy your firearm in this caliber.

#13 ·
I've been watching the Romanian 1224 round cans on Gunbroker lately and they are bringing about $470. With shipping this stuff is selling for $0.40/round. I suppose it's not that far off the price of .40 S&W these days, though. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that you could get cans from AIM Surplus for $120! I suspect those days are gone forever.

#14 ·
A Russian company called "AKBS" has started to produce commercial 7.62 Tokarev ammo, but to-date I have only seen pics. Same with new production POF Tokarev ammo. We are now getting Pakistani pistols, perhaps they will import some of their factory-made ammo also.

#17 ·
Reload.

It is easy enough to squeeze down .223 brass to make 7.62X25 (or 7.63 Mauser, for that matter). It may or may not fit your pistol after sizing, but the problem will be a too-thick case neck, and that is why they sell neck-turners.

If you don't want to neck-turn the brass, another possibility is to get somebody to open up the chamber neck of your pistol JUST SLIGHTLY to accommodate the thicker case neck of the raw resized brass. Not recommended, but it would work for you.

My Broomhandle (7.63 Mauser shares the same case dimensions) accepts unturned, squeezed-down, .223 brass without a single complaint, and I needed to do nothing to the chamber to make the ammo fit.

My TT33 and my CZ52, on the other hand are a bit tighter, and do need the cases played with a bit.

I am pretty cheap. Typically, I shoot my .223 until it starts getting neck cracks. Usually the back end of the case is still just fine. Its next life for that 'worn out' brass is as 7.63 or 7.62X25 (I use the same load for both).

#19 · (Edited)
Sent you an email. The Caliber is worth it, worth the effort - just do not give up.

There still is x25 out there, you just have to hunt and that is part of this deal, this hobby anyway, isn't it ?

Try:
* Put yourself on waiting lists at AIM & SGAmmo ... I picked up 250 rnds of PPU FMJ from AIM at $16.-$17. a box abt. 2 months ago by doing that.
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/762x25-tok

* Post some WTB's here on GB
or
* Post on GB here to Offer a Trade up (or Trade for CASH !!) to interest someone in letting go of some ??

(For example, I personally need .32 S & W short so I would Trade surplus/current 7.62x25 )

Good Luck ! TOK(arev)

#20 ·
Today's "outrageous" is tomorrow's "I wish I had bought some". It is available, just look around and don't be a "cheap Charlie".

#26 ·
I'm surprised you cannot find any at all. I don't shoot x25 but I watch for it here and there when I'm out ammo shopping. Seems fairly common, in fact the gun store downtown had a big stack of Brown Bear and Winchester. In any case it is way more common than 7.62 Nagant, don't complain!!!

Regarding RAS ammo - meh. Just another brand, I'll shoot it if it's cheap enough, but so far in 7.62x39 it is definitely NOT. $7/box for RAS or $5/box for Tula at Walmart...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

#32 ·
i went to red army's web page and filled out their contact information and asked if there was any plans for 7.62x25 in the future, got a answer late this afternoon. "we should see some by mid year" no other info as to pricing or anything else. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

#34 ·
I said this on another forum or maybe here.
So many of these guns were imported I can't see some company not producing it.
I would not mind paying a little more from bass cased and boxer primed ammo we can reload.
I have my fingers crossed for sure.
I still have a couple of spam cans full.
Still that's not much ammo in the full scope of my shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.