Thread: US Flare Guns

Default US Flare Guns

Picked the top Flare Gun up this weekend along with lots of flares for it. I now have several US and other countries flare guns. Anyone tell me what the 8 inch is for? It fits the tube gun but sticks out the end. I was hoping they would fit the WW2 gun but won't happen, too long. What is the "Simulator Air Burst " cartridge used for and lastly, is there a good book on these?? BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flare Guns & Flares 001.JPG   Flare Guns & Flares 002.JPG   Flare Guns & Flares 003.JPG   Flare Guns & Flares 004.JPG  

The top flare pistol is the USA M-9 and the bottom is the M-8. They shoot the rimmed 37mm. The 8" flares look to be rimless from the photo and would fit the M-2 flare pistol as well as a few others manufactured by the same Co. " International Flare Signal Co. in Tippecanoe City, Oh ".

The rimless shells are inserted into the front end of the M-2 and are held in place by a side locking mechanism. This method is called the Driggs Faber system

Thanks. Is there a book on these US Flare guns ?? BB

Find a copy of TM9-290 for US "flare guns". TM9 -1900 Ammunition,General,dated 1945 shows a similar flare which is 7.69" long and is a M11 , but is red parachute. Any date on your flare?