Gunboards Forums banner

I almost sold mine...

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Jaws2 
#1 ·
A few years back, I was unimpressed with this little Bulgarian Makarov that I bought in the early 2000's for around $180. It was not at all accurate, lots of light strikes, and I just wasn't really into it. I actually took it to a gun show in the hopes of trading it + some cash for something else. I'm really glad nobody was interested enough to offer more than $100 for it.

I replaced a few parts and last time I took it out, no problems whatsoever. It's still not all that accurate, but it's definitely improved and I wasn't having my best day either. The landscape of Makarov imports has changed so much since then and I would guess I'd have to pay nearly twice what I did for it now if I wanted to get another or replace it. It has now become one of my "will always keep" guns.

Just thought I'd share a little success story here since it's been a while since I posted here.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know your situation but what I found is that ammo makes a big difference on accuracy. The Hornady hollow point ammo worked out to be the most accurate for myself although for others it's different. Next what I found for improving accuracy on the Makarov are the sights. Short of installing 3 dot Novak sights, a little florescent paint on the dovetail and front post makes lining up the sights easier and more repeatable.

Glad you didn't sell your Bulgarian. I don't even know off hand how many I acquired when I was actively collecting but I will never sell any; they are just too nice to sell.

#7 ·
Me too--really glad in the end. I kind of wish I'd bought a couple more, but I only buy what I'm going to shoot.

This was Silver Bear. It was accurate enough, but for some reason I was putting everything on the left that day. Maybe due to the fact that I messed up my knee a couple weeks ago and I was compensating for it, babying it, and it still hurt. Doesn't matter, though--had fun. :D

#10 ·
Glad to hear you held onto your Makarov.
I took the "plunge" yesterday at a local pawn shop. 1981 Bulgarian, PW Arms import, not a scratch, one mag, $200 (he had it marked $279). Once home, I had to clean off cosmoline that the previous owner(s) had neglected. I oiled her, placed a dot of my wife's red fingernail polish on the "fire" indicator hole, and she looks like new.
I have my CZ-52, 82 and 83, but was always curious about the Maks. So far, I'm (yet again) impressed with the Commie arms. Soon as the weather clears up, I'll take her outside and zero her in.
Just ordered 2 East German mags off of Ebay ($39.95) and an original star Bulgarian grip to replace the very nice (but aftermarket) current grips.
DON'T SELL THEM...clean them, dress them up and take them out to dinner. At least that's what works for my marriage!

#12 ·
#13 ·
Thanks North Bender and qwiksdraw. Very good information and much appreciated. I never refuse experienced recommendations.
But, not to steal this thread...THANKS KingWulfgar for holding onto your gem! I plan on making mine a "will always keep" gun, too...until my son shoots it...or my daughter...or my wife...guess I'd better start looking for replacement a replacement mak.

#14 ·
helpful target advice

Actually Tennesseean, I've found a more helpful motivational target . . .

Actually it's not that much of a help, but sometimes you need a little comic relief (as you can see I am mostly in the 'You Suck' range with my Bulgarian Mak at 25 ft. but at least they are all nicely grouped!). I have found that concentrating too much on what you're doing wrong is getting in the way of what you're doing right. Relax at the line and get your muscle memory in tune with how it's comfortable to your way of sending rounds downrange. If you're relaxed in practice, you will be able to react in kind when you need it the most.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.