Default Buying guns in TN? (and other gun questions)

What is involved in buying a firearm in TN? Long gun & hand gun. I heard you had to be fingerprinted on all purchases. Is that true? I have a Missouri concealed carry permit, but don't know if that carries any weight in TN (I'm a resident of TN now). I also have an 03 FFL. Is there a waiting period or any such nonsense on handgun purchases? Pistol permit required? In MO, you could carry a gun in your car without a CCW. Is that the case in TN, too? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get the lay of the land.

Thanks...Stacy
    Wait. Don't stop here. This is bat country.

Default Here are some links

If you buy from a private individual fellow Tennesseean, then there are no papers, fingerprints, whatsoever, unless both parties want to do their own paperwork for their private information. If you buy either a rifle or handgun in a gun store, you must be fingerprinted, and you must fill out a form, and you must get an instant background check ($10), which usually takes less than 15 minutes. There is no "cooling off" period. Try the links on this web page for other information....

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/
    Last edited by sigmtnguy; 03-26-2008 at 08:43 AM.

Great link. Thanks sigmtnguy.

Stacy
    Wait. Don't stop here. This is bat country.

If you're moving permanently to Tennessee, you may want to consider getting a Tennessee permit to carry. That Missouri permit might be ok if the "powers that be" don't realize that you've established residency, but if you're carrying using that as your permit and get involved in anything, you might find yourself in a lot of trouble for carry without a permit, etc.

The reciprocity thing is intended for folks who are out of state that are passing through Tennessee while on vacation or traveling for business, etc. Once you've established residency, that Missouri permit is most likely worthless.

Just something to think about.
    Last edited by CoorsLightGuy; 03-27-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
    Volunteer Hosting
    Ramblings of a Reaganite
    The Gun Collectors Forum

Default Non-resident acceptability of permit

This link goes into the question a bit...

http://legallyarmed.com/lowrey_question_3.htm

And read this one, too: http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/rec...eciprocity.asp

It seems you need to get a local permit within 6 months of becoming a resident of TN.
    Last edited by sigmtnguy; 03-28-2008 at 04:28 AM. Reason: added link