Gunboards Forums banner

Hard chrome or nickel?

6K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  bvd1 
#1 · (Edited)
So I bought another Makarov today (it's a disease) this time an East German Thalmann, the previous owner had it refinished in hard chrome from what the shop told me, but I can't really tell the difference VS hard chrome and satin/brushed nickel, so I was hoping one of you guys would be able to. I don't mind Nickel, but I already have a Nickel Miltex, so i'd prefer HC.

Here's some pictures: (sorry, they're huge!)

Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#5 ·
Umm, the BATF cares if the serial number is no longer on the pistol. Its basically illegal if the serial number is destroyed.

#6 ·
Umm.....true, to some extent -while it is a felony to remove a pistol's s/n, firearms manufactured/imported prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 are exempt

my 2 Maks, while they still have their s/ns, were manufactured in '62 & '63 (if I remember correctly but prior to '68 in any case)

perhaps giving the ATF a call will shed some light on the subject - tho I'm betting you wouldn't get a definitive answer - the ATF Field Office in San Antonio, while trying to be helpful, won't generally commit - but you're, of course, welcome to try

#13 · (Edited)
Ok, not saying he is wrong, but I took the PDF file of Federal Firearms Reference Guide 2005 and did a search on serial number, and did not find anywhere that is was legal to remove a serial number on a firearm made prior to 1968. Which again does not mean he is incorrect, simply that I could not find a reference to such a rule in the ATF document, unless I missed it. My search parameter was "serial number" and I scanned every occurance of that term that it showed. I did NOT spend all day reading each paragraph in depth.

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

#14 ·
Well personally I'm convinced you'd be a fool to purposely remove a serial number from a Makarov thinking some regulation covers you.

But that sure is one fine looking gun gogochino! You might bring up these concerns to the person who did the work.

#15 ·
It was perfectly legal to have a firearm with no serial number pre 1968. I think it even may have been OK to REMOVE a serial number pre 1968.

However, and this is perfectly clear, Post 1968 you can not possess a firearm that has an obliterated/removed serial number. They make no distinction when or how it was removed and there was NO grandfathering. Whoever possesses this pistol now is a FELON!

In summary..........
No factory serial number pre-68 - OK
No factory serial number post-68 - Felony
Revoved / changed/ or even restamped with the same serial number (on a firearm that once had it) - Felony

#17 ·
That is one sweet looking piece! Do you know if it was it re-finished because of excessive wear to the original finish? Also, how's it shoot?

And, with the best interests of the OP in mind, who's to say the serial numbers weren't photo-shopped out of the pic? Happens on online forums and auctions all the time.

#18 ·
I would assume that would be the case, I find it hard to believe a shop as he called it, assume gunshop with licensed FFL, and assuming Whiskey is wrong, would risk their business selling an illegal pistol.

#26 ·
I think everyone pretty much figures that the pistol is very likely to have had the serial number photoshopped out, that is no longer the question being discussed in the context after that. The extra question of if it was not, and it had the serial number erased what would be its legality be, because a rule was alleged that no one had heard before. Which is what all subsequent responses are referencing, but I think you really understand that...

#29 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the replies guys, very helpful, I love this forum!

Whisky; that's a beautiful Mak! Metaloy did a great job.
ABTOMAT; i'm gonna try your suggestion for sure, as soon as I do some googling and figure out where I can get that stuff. :thumbsup:

I don't have the pistol yet, it's being shipped to my FFL so I should have it Monday or Tuesday and i'll be back to post some new pics of my own, the ones I posted are just what was posted on the website I got it from.

The Mak does have a serial number by the way, it just wasn't visible from the pictures I posted, judging by the fact that it starts with an "F" I think that makes it a 1960 production:

(Not sure what that yellow stuff is, oil maybe? lol)
I've learned alot from this thread and from this forum in general, you guys rock. :crossfingers:

#31 ·
Nice looking Mak. I think all the bed-wetting here about the serial # is due to the fact that the pics in the OP are taken with such a lighting that you can barely see the serial #'s on the receiver and slide. I can see them though, just barely. Settle down everyone. :laugh:

#34 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply, admittedly I should check back here more often, though I just got the gun yesterday, there were a few hiccups with my FFL and the gun shop so there was some delay, but I have it now and I bring pics! Though you'll have to excuse my crappy camera phone :)

The S/N is visible on the receiver by the way 45collector!

Here's the other side:

Here's the front of the grip where there was some velcro type material held on by the strongest made-in-hell adhesive known to man, I was expecting some kind of damage or import mark or something but it's nice and clean!

And here it is laying next to my Miltex in a Pelican case:

I took it out yesterday after picking it up and put 50 rounds through it, great Mak, and after seeing it next to my nickel Miltex I do think it's hard chrome! :)

Next on the list is some Marschal grips :crossfingers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.