Gunboards Forums banner

Bulgarian mak circle 10 issue

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Masterdemswords 
#1 ·
I have done some reading around the net and it could be a barrel bulge. My mak slide won't come off. trigger guard down, pull back...won't come off doesn't even move like it thinks it wants to move or could do so. If it is a barrel bulge then the slide wouldn't come back as far as it needs to to release so if anyone has a minute could they measure the distance the slide has to come back to release? also that guy i bought this from said he put a new spring in it and it is somewhat hard to pull back and i read that some springs aren't up to spec and could cause the same symptom. it does fire, cycles flawlessly, just can't get stripped to clean it properly.

#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like perhaps the recoil spring was put on backwards. Never seen it done but I understand it is a real pain to get off sometimes. If it is put on wrong the coils can bunch up and jump over themselves causing a real pain, there is some info on here about it, will take some digging to find. If I remember the procedure is using something like a dental pick to realign them while the trigger guard is held down to provide access, not a fun task.

#3 ·
Run a flathead screwdriver or some other straight item up the barrel. If it feels like there is a non-flat area, you could have a bulged barrel. Are you able to get a small light source in the barrel while looking?

#4 ·
Doesn't sound like a bulged barrel, could be the recoil spring on backwards. Pull the trigger guard down and use a small light to look in the frame opening, if the spring coils look normal that's good, if they look like they're wound over one another that's bad. Try this, remove the magazine, pull the trigger guard down, if you're right handed grasp the frame in a good hard hold. Take your left hand and get a good grip on the slide and push down on it then shove the slide back and down as hard as you can. Sometimes the slide or frame will get a burr on it and this method may help the slide come off. Let us know if you make any progress.

#5 ·
If it fires, cycles ammo and ejects spent cases correctly ..... it's not a bulged barrel !!

No disrespect intended here ... are you familiar with how it should work? Trigger guard down and blocked (I use a piece of leather), cock hammer, pull back slide fully, (my EG has 1 5/8 inch barrel exposed when fully retracted), lift UP slightly on the rear of the slide and let the spring move the slide forward and off the barrel.

Recoil spring should be installed over the barrel with SMALL END OF SPRING FIRST.

The rear of the recoil spring can be seen when you pull down the trigger guard and look up inside the opening. If you see coils "overlapping", that's probably your issue. See Lee's comments above.

Let us know what you find.

PS. Looks like several of us commenting about the same time ;-)

#7 ·
Just looked at my Maks with the trigger guards down and the last two coils on mine are right up against each other so as long as they aren't overlapping/distorted it should be fine, though I do have longer (19LB) Wolff Springs in mine.

Were you able to figure out what the problem was yet?
If you have the safety off, magazine out, trigger guard down and the hammer back and try to pull back on the slide to remove it does it move at all? Does it feel like it's catching on something? I would imagine the spring to be the problem before the actual gun itself. Hope you got it figured out by now though!

#10 ·
Could it be that there's a new (stiff) 21 lb recoil spring and the slide is just very hard to rack? Does it go all the way back when it fires? Maybe the spring is on backwards and getting caught?

Maybe a bulge in the bore or a burr on the slide? Assuming the gun isn't chambered, can you use a jag to feel for a bulge? Or a strong light source to look inside and see anything that stands out? A video or even pictures would be helpful, some of the more knowledgable might notice something.

#12 ·
Sound like it's running like it should, extracting and chambering another round. That's good and probably not a spring or bulged barrel issue. Take the grips off and remove the main spring and put the frame in a padded vice. Son't tighten the vice enough to damage the frame, you just want it tight enough to keep it from moving.Then shove the slide back and down as hard as you can. It should come off.

#16 ·
I had the same issue (or at least similar) and I never found the culprit but it wasn't a bulged barrel. It was either the spring hung up somewhere or a burr. I assume it was a burr as the spring was on properly and hasn't given me any issues to this day. I did a crap ton of hard cycling with the trigger guard in and then some with the trigger guard out. Eventually after a day or so of doing this occasionally, slide came off properly. It felt like it was hung up on a brick wall in there and never coming off but eventually it did. I also only had this issue removing the slide, it would only be a hair away from coming off. Fired and cycled fine. It was very depressing at the time but it worked itself out. Also, I've heard of some advertised NOS recoil springs being new reproductions and not being in perfect spec. Although idk why any company would take the time to manufacture a product like that but rumor is they can cause the hang ups. Just a rumor so take with a grain of salt as I have no proof to back it up and is just word of mouth. Supposedly the springs are slightly too long not allowing them to compress enough for slide removal, although to put them on the spring must compress enough so idk. Anyway, just my .02$ of info I thought may be relevant.
- Willy B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.