Gunboards Forums banner

..like my Maks mucho, but..

5K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  bvd1 
#1 ·
I rotate taking our pistols to the range and put 25-50 rounds thru each on each visit so took our 2 Maks (along with a couple of other pistols) to the range today and had my shooting mind refreshed to the fact that these aren't shooting-for-great-accuracy range target shooting pistols

they're super for what they were built to do - "getting the job done at 7-10 yards" - but for accuracy, even at those close distances, they don't rank too high

they're a couple of my favorites and I'll never give 'em up, but they simply aren't spot-on accurate

#2 ·
I hear ya. I have the Polish version, the P-83. Double action trigger pull is like trying to drag one of those tractor-pull sleds without the tractor. Single action trigger is okay. But it would also be fantastic for clocking somebody upside the head with it, as it is built like a brick.

#3 ·
Sorry you find yours to be so disappointing. I find quite the opposite to be true. My Mak is extremely accurate and has one of the best triggers I have encountered outside of custom work. With the fixed barrels inherent accuracy, the excellent trigger, and the relatively fine sights I have no troubles keeping small groups at the distances you mention. My 100 round CCP class target had two groups one in chest and one in head which could be covered by a fist each. The groups were shot from 5 to 15 yards, at various speeds and holds both offhand and strong hand. Most people I know of with them say the same thing, the one exception being the adjustable sights on some of the commercials.

#6 ·
Sorry you find yours to be so disappointing..

My 100 round CCP class target had two groups one in chest and one in head which could be covered by a fist each..
not "disappointed" in the least - I've had my EG for a looooong time and I know what it's capable (and not capable) of

and wow - good shooting - perhaps that needs to be put in a thread of it's own.....

#5 ·
A lot of people agree with you Lee. The fixed barrel is commonly mentioned as one reason for the Mak's renowned accuracy. That said, I have met some people who have problems shooting the pistol well. May be due to that blowback recoil ...

#8 ·
I find it interesting you come to a Makarov forum, then basically put out threads which are obviously intentioned to create some controversy, and then when someone disagrees with you, you use a clumsy attempt at sly innuendo. Why bother, what exactly is your game here? I think it is time to simply put you on ignore, consider it done so we do not have to agree to disagree any longer.

#9 ·
I am very pleased with the accuracy of my Makarovs. I usually don't shoot these at more than 12 yds. because of my aging eyes. If I want to do some longer range shooting for accuracy, I use one of my longer barreled revolvers with target sights. I bought the Makarovs because of the quality, great reliability, size and easily concealed. They are a great shooting, reliable pistol.

#11 ·
Whiskey, we have a real short tolerance for people who try and stir it up. You have done that too much on this forum.

What i wrote is nothing but the truth. You can search here on this forum or Google for terms like "Makarov accuracy" - or try "M2 Carbine Makarov" for 100-yard accuracy. I'm very pleased with the accuracy of each of my Makarovs - several models of Russian military, EG, and Bulgarian.

And like I said, I know people who don't shoot it well. You may interpret that as a personal slight - it's hard to know what your comment responded to, but it's a fact. The pistol serves most well but not all. I won't suggest you let others try your Maks or suggest any hand grip positions, I just say some do and some don't and that's not a shot at your manhood.

#16 ·
Not accurate hummm. $100 "scratch and dent special" Bulgarian from Dan's, $4.50/box old LVE Green Box 10 Yds. offhand. After thousands of rounds the gun is still capable of it. Bring on your lattest wonder guns, this old mac has put a bunch of them to shame and converted a lot of people to mac believers.:)

Attachments

#18 ·
I went back to the range this morning - to do a sight adjustment on a new pistol so I took along the EG Mak and shot 10 rounds off a bag at 7 yards - same results as my off-hand shooting the other day with both the EG and the Bulgarian :

and just for grins here's 6 rounds off-hand at 15 yards with my .357mag Coonan (with crappy 110gr HP that don't like to cycle well) :

#22 ·
Whisky, I don't see a controversy here. I see a guy sharing his experience and looking for objective feedback.

I recently acquired a Bulgy Mak myself. Fairly accurate out to about 20 yards so far (I'm still learning how to handle the pistol). Out past that, not so much. Think those itty bitty sights have a lot to do with it.

I'd rather be shooting my CZ-82 at targets over 20 yards right now - I have more trigger time with it and the sights work better for me.

As I get more trigger time with the Mak, I expect that my accuracy will improve at longer ranges (I'd like to be be shooting consistent "7s" at 30 yards). May I suggest that you may be see the same improvement with more practice with your Mak? Or on the other hand, if you're really that disappointed, you could give them to me ;)

#23 · (Edited)
I have a Bulgarian mak and it's stupid accurate out to 25 yards. I have had no problems keeping some very tight groups with it and the reliability is perfect to date. May just be that they don't agree with you. I have a problem with Sigs, nothing wrong with the pistols, they just don't fit my hand well and I don't shoot all that well with them by my standards. I will be looking for your maks in the WTS section haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Anything is possible. They were military pistols. Who knows, maybe a T-62 ran over his. Or like I said they may not fit his hand and his psyche very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
When I go to the 50 yard steel at my club's pistol range - ~10" square fixed plates and ~8" round swingers - I usually have the highest percentage of hits with one of my Maks. I've stopped carrying a Mak daily because I have difficulty picking up the tiny sights in a hurry (compared to the three white dots of my Glock night sights, or the laser grip on one of my revolvers), but for precise hits out to 50 yards or so those tiny sights are very precise. If our club had someplace to shoot handguns beyond 50 yards, I'll bet that the Mak would excel out there, too.

#28 ·
I am in the group that considers maks to be very accurate for what they are. So its not exactly your go-to competition bullseye pistol, but it will hold its own against (and beat many) any "around 5 inch" diagonal 380 on the market.

Mine has had some TLC. Custom grips make it a joy to hold. Replaced the trigger transfer bar so my trigger is single action only with only a touch of pretravel, not quite 1911ish but no longer sloppy. I use my own handloads. Painted the front sight. With all that I can make a 2 inch group at 25 yards if I am shooting well (some days being better than others). Mine also has a leg up, its east german.

My personal opinion here is that the stock military setup is not exactly friendly to precision shooting. Which is not what it was made for .. you have a sloppy trigger, small and not really ergonomic grips, "bad" (for precision shooting) sights, and similar factors that make it harder on the shooter. The raw material is there (good, accurate barrels). But I would say the same for about 90% of modern guns... most can make a tight group, locked in a rest, but most make it hard for the shooter to achieve it.

#30 ·
Whiskey, if you don't like your mak accarcy, go get a CZ 82
I find the trigger on the Polish P64 scary, I tried all of mine, though, crap, what a bum deal, 3 broke guns, fiddled a little, tried SA
HOLY **&%^ (&^ (&)) did I just pull the trigger

CRAZY monkey crunch ain't gonna do it (like those grip things the handshake crusher says are easy)
SA, I have target pistols with a heavier trigger, and not nearly as nice.

As for the mak...
sad, but true confession...
I haven't shot it yet... I mean, I mean to get around to it but...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.