Gunboards Forums banner

New (to me) Mak

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  VA-Vet 
#1 · (Edited)
I was just given a Russian commercial Mak, IJ70-18A, by a relative that has more guns than I can dream about having. I actually had my choice between a standard capacity with 2 mags and a holster or a hi-cap with 1 mag. The hi-cap was in better shape, but I've been wanting to get another 8 round Mak for awhile. I previously had a standard capacity Mak in .380, that belonged to my brother, and was heartbroken when he asked for it back after many years. It was a great shooter.
Anyway, the 18A that I just got was a little rough and had some surface rust from being stored for a long period of time in a leather holster. It cleaned up pretty well, though the trigger seems a bit rough still. After I get it to the range and run it through it's paces, I'll see where it needs work. I was also given 3 boxes of ammo (albeit aluminum cased), so all in all it was like Christmas in July for me. I'll post pictures when I get a chance. (When my brother took his Mak back, I gave him a Fobus holster and a couple of extra mags I had purchased. I may have to get those back!)

* Lest the above makes me sound like a firearm mooch, I do have other guns that I have purchased myself. But other family members just don't seem to appreciate Makarovs as I do *

#2 ·
Congratulations on the new Mak! Some Flitz will clean it up nice, and it's usually a good idea to get a new Wolff 19 or 21 lb recoil spring.
And you don't sound like a firearm mooch, who turn could down a free Mak? Or any gun for that matter. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see some pics!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.