Gunboards Forums banner

Makarov "Baikal 442" Sold by Canadian Distributers

16K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  franknitti 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I live near the border, one of the largest border crossings ad know a few Canadians, and yes the legal barrel length for all handguns is 106.

http://firearmslaw.ca/gun-law-resources/categories-of-firearms/

Obviously an importer has found a supplier for the longer barrel. There are a number of barrel suplliers for the length, but I am having trouble finding a Mak brrel. I did look at Baikal website and they have various Makarov variations for sale including several rubber bullet only variants, they do not show a 106 MM barrel. So it is either a special run, or an aftermarket conversion.

https://shopquestar.com/shopping65/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=142&cat=Barrels

#4 ·
I did look at Baikal website and they have various Makarov variations showing in thier product line including several rubber bullet only variants, they do not show a 106 MM barrel. So it is either a special run, or an aftermarket conversion. I interpret the catalog as being current production, I would think that discontinued items would archived.

http://imzcorp.com/en/company/open/weapon.html

#8 ·
Ok so I have been looking and researching for a good while, before I PM'd you. Cant find one or anything other than those 2 links to save my life.

I have been discrete as to not draw attention, to reduce the competition if I found one. LOL! But...... Cant find the thing to save my life.

A little custom work, the longer bore, and the push-button mag release. Have to be a winner. I been wanting one yesterday! LOL!

#12 ·
Its not a 'special run'.Baikal make these pistols in their factory with the longer barrel,for countries where 4" is the minimum legal barrel length for target shooting with a pistol.I have also seen a small batch imported in NZ where we also have the same rule about barrel length.You don't see these guns in America because you don't have such a rule...but then as you can't currently import Russian pistols of any kind I guess its a moot point.

#13 ·
Having worked in DP in manufacturing for many years, you pretty much gave a description of a special run. The normal item is shown in the catalog of products, and "small batches" may be created on the normal production lines using an alternative option for a customer. They are created all at one time, whereas on any given day the normal options are ran, thus making them "special". Special does not mean unusual, special runs can be quite normal, but they deviate slightly from the normal production.

#14 ·
Ok it seems everybody here is comfortable with the fact that Baikal produces these pistols and that they can be purchased in Canada and apparently in New Zealand. But I remain a bit surprised. Nobody has ever posted an example of one they purchased and Gunboards has members from around the world. Where can we get a range report and photos?

#16 ·
I've lurked, but this is prompting me to register and post:
When you go to the Baikal site, they list both the single and double stack as currently being made.

I recently found an IJ70 AH for $175, with 1 promag 10 rd magazine. The prices on the magazines are ridiculous, someone has a couple on ebay for over $200 ($250 for the factory). It sure does look like this is the same gun, other than cosmetics... can anyone find out if there are extra mags being made? If they are in Canada, can the magazine be bought and shipped to the US?
Thanks

#17 ·
Both versions are currently being made.You can order spare mags from the factory when you buy the guns,not sure about obtaining them just by themselves though.I doubt the mags can be imported into the US though in any event.The guns themselves are not allowed so doubtful the parts for them are either.Ex factory the guns and their mags are surprisingly cheap actually......spare mags add only a few $ to the purchase price.

#18 ·
We have a new member, Maka10, who sent me links to two Canadian companies offering the "Baikal 442" - a "Copy of the famous Russian sidearm with restricted length barrel, blued finish, black plastic grips.."

Comes with a 106-cm barrel. Can anyone provide detail on this? Maka10 was hoping to be able to purchase a barrel. I'd just like to know what's going on.

http://www.badgerarmssupply.com/centerfire/69-baikal-makarov-442-.html

http://interammo.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=86
Interesting. Cool. Baikal Mak, without the "sporting purposes" import adjustable sight. With a slightly longer barrel required by our neighbors in the Great White North. Probably older stock, modified to meed Canadia's legal requirement.

You're in Washington. Your problem is going to be getting this thing into the United State, the Land of the Supposedly Free.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#22 ·
You're welcome.

Tmygun; said:
Ah ok, I guess it's dead now since the Russians dropped the Makarov. Interesting though.
As Mark Twain might put it, rumors of the Mak's demise have been exaggerated.

Here's recent picture from the instagram account of someone who appears to be a member of the Russian special forces "alpha group":

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.