Gunboards Forums banner

misfiring mak.need help

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tucsonsduke 
#1 ·
Went to the range today with a buddy who just bought a new to him mak, he bought it from a guy he knows and the fellow told him it shot fine.
His problem is this , it fires the first round fine but it takes 2 pulls of the trigger to fire second round. It will fire the 3rd and maybe the 4th ok but then it wont fire the 5th round. A second pull of the trigger will set off the round. we took the mak apart but i see nothing wrong. we tried 2 kinds of ammo same problem. anyone got an idea what may cause this?

#3 · (Edited)
The Mak is a very simple pistol, not a whole lot to go wrong. Make sure whoever is not putting the safety partially on while firing, it can easily happen especially to someone who tries the high thumbs grip. That is part of the danger of slide mounted safeties. I would then check the firing pin hole, it might be real cruded up. If not the firing pin may be damaged. Lastly I would check the mainspring, perhaps it is weak or damaged. Those are the top culprits I have run across. The Mak is very durable, so it is usually something simple, most likely cause in my mind is gunked up pin channel, or improper hold. The pin should rattle freely if the hole is clean and curl those thumbs down.

#4 ·
What Lee said...
Check to make sure all the cosmoline has been cleaned from the firing pin and channel. If you take (unloaded of course) the Mak and shake it front to back, you should hear the firing pin rattle.

#5 ·
The majority of such misfires are caused by the safety partially engaging. It only has to barely move to prevent the gun from firing. The small spring underneath the safety, which protrudes into the detent on the frame, can get weak. We see this time and again - it's probably the #1 posted complaint. You can try and remove the safety and pull that spring out a bit to get it to engage more positively, but a lot of people end up buying a new safety.

#6 ·
This is what my Bulgarian Mak was doing when I first got it . I took it to a gunsmith but the misfire problem persisted . After doing a search of this forum for info I decided to replace the safety and firing pin with new ones . I am happy to say that I now have fired well over well over 1K rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind .
I found the replacement parts at a local gun show and are available from parts vendors and offered for sale here by members from time to time.
SG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.