Gunboards Forums banner

Norinco type 59

7K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Will762 
#1 ·
It's been a few years since I last posted, and almost as long as I bought my last Mak.
I just ran across a type 59 with the "ZZ" serial numbers.
What are those things going for these days?
I'd like to add it to my collection, but the asking price scared the bejeesus out of me.

#3 · (Edited)
I just checked gunbroker's completed auctions. A zz prefix Norinco sold in June for $410.99. It was described as mint but you could see some minor marks. "Mint" to me is new condition with no blemishes and not fired outside of factory.. Condition was very nice though.
$1200 for a commercial Norinco Makarov is insane. That seller is probably still sitting on it.

#4 · (Edited)
I just checked gunbroker's completed auctions. A zz prefix Norinco sold in June for $410.99. It was described as mint but you could some minor marks. "Mint" to me is new condition with no blemishes and not fired outside of factory.. Condition was very nice though.
$1200 for a commercial Norinco Makarov is insane. That seller is probably still sitting on it.
$1200 is a lot of sticker shock. The asking price for this one is much higher than $410, but less than $1200.

Are the "ZZ" serial numbers Norinco commercial builds or the mil surplus that was shipped over as commercial?
I seem to recall some information about the ZZ prefix serial numbers but I can't lay my hand on that explanation.
This is the first Norinco I have seen in person.

#6 ·
The "zz's" are commercial Type 59 Chinese Maks. They go for around $450 and somewhat above - I personally would wince at $500.

Anyone asking $1200 for a Chinese Mak you think would be selling a military version with an arsenal mark.

#7 ·
There are zz prefix serial numbered chinese type 59 makarovs that are import marked and some that are not. Apparently the zz prefix is for export sales. Several came in thru Canada when import marks were not required. Others were imported here, until all Chinese guns were cut off.
Canadians used to bring these and rare guns on their winter vacations to Florida. They could pay for their whole vacation sometimes.
The import marked zz guns are 400 to 700. the non import marked have gone for 1200. Some folks have gotten lucky and picked up a non import mrked zz for 400. They are not rare. A true military Chinese makarov ( differences have been explained several times) recently sold for around $5500 and there were many bidders. (They are not zz prefix guns.) These are very rare guns all of which are believed to have come here with veterans of the Vietnam war...but that's another discussion...

#8 ·
From Makarov.com:

"China
Not terribly much is known about these, except that they were brought in as Norinco Model 59. Not many are available, so they often command a premium over other Makarovs. On the whole, the quality of these is not as good as some of the others, but there have been notable exceptions. Very rarely you may run across a Type 59 with an Arsenal mark (number) in a circle. Most common found are 56 and 66. These were Military pistols that were remarked and packed for Commercial Export. A Chinese Makarov with "SHI" mark is of Military issue, and normally if found in the USA means it was a War Trophy "bring Back" from some conflict, and commands a Premium price. With bring back papers, these can cost as much as $2,500, without the papers, about half that. If it has the original issue holster, add another $100 or so to the price."

From ScottB:

"Hi guys,

Don't get on the board much but caught this thread between flights. Below is some data I collected last year. Generally, ZZ is an export code that proceeded the restriction of US import. After the restrictions were lifted, they were also marked for US. You find them in just about every country but China. Found one returned from Iraq:

Headed out, but see if this adds anything to the discussion.
Chinese Makarov Serial Ranges
Recorded

Military
---------Low -----High

2xxxxxx 2017738 -----2034952

4xxxxxx 4043024 -----4062625

Export
------------------Low ------------High

ZZxxxxxx(CSI) --ZZ270428casco,nc -----ZZ273503

Not import marked ZZ270093------ ZZ270514+ (2724xx)

Axxxxx (Beta) ---A00392---------- A24594

Bxxxxx(Beta) ---B00142 --------------B11309

Triangle zz(Casco) 260046 ----------260128

Military model features serial numbered safety. Grips are star/ shield or Eighth,First emblem. Marked with Triangle 66 and 59SHI. Only 2million and 4million range reported in some two dozen examples.

Export models are star in circle grip. ZZ first observed in 1988, no factory symbol(triangle). Both import marked and unmarked examples recorded.

A and B prefix from Beta arms. Imported approx 1992 to 1995. Triangle 56 factory symbol.
Thumbrest grip.

S Britton 07/07"

This info should help, I agree with the 400-700 price range, very likely the latter, and possibly exceeding that price depending a variety of factors (condition/markings) etc.

#10 ·
I saw a nice one at last weekends gunshow at Dallas Market Hall priced at $450 I believe. Same guy had a couple Bulgarians and Russian commercials. He also had a 1960 E. German with damage to the finish on the slide. Some rust and pitting on both sides - but he was only asking $175. I should have bought that one.

#15 ·
Yeah, that is when I saw them - Saturday morning about 9:45 or so. I have a nice EG already as well, but for $175 I should have grabbed it. Oh well. I could have sworn the Chinese was $450, but I wasn't paying too much attention to it since that is already a bit above my price point.

#22 ·
My Makarov Model 59 ZZ prefix

I bought a Norinco Mod 59 back in the early 90's ( ? ) from the San Francisco Gun Exchange. Back then it was kind of a pricey handgun ($299.50) but I had to have it. After my 10 day wait I went down to pick up my gun. I drove around looking for a parking spot and could not find one for blocks. I spotted a loading zone next to side side of the building and dashed in to get my gun. 5 minutes later I came out only to find my car had been towed away by some marauding tow truck driver - Add $100 to the price of my Mod 59 , ouch!. I love this gun and have put thousands of rounds through it. I take good care of it and still have the box and accesories. I wonder how many of these boxes are still intact as they are made of some pretty flimsy cardboard. I definately would not sell this gun and if I did would want more than somebody would be willing to pay. Enclosed are some pictures ( Notice the warning on the side "Keep out of children" Ha Ha ). Cheers, Will

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.