Gunboards Forums banner

Makarov Magazine photos

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bvd1 
#1 ·
About a month ago was in Reno NV and came across 2 Mak mags with followers I'd never seen before. Well, I had seen them, but the photo in the sticky couldn't be blown up to really show what was going on. I thought I'd take a few pics of my mags and hopefully improve the general knowledge of Mak collectors in the process. I know I'm still learning all the time, here goes:

The top photo is some of my mag collection, I shoot them all at the range, top group late Russian/Bulgarian. Middle group is East German, bottom one is early Russian. The white stickys on the floor plate was how I used to track mags. Notice one of my East German has an extended plate on it.

Font Metal

The next photo is a better detailed photo of an East German, Late Russian/Bulgarian, and Early Russian.

The next photo is looking down the sides of an East German and Early Russian. I'm pointing out the difference in the curvature of the follower pass-thru.

Footwear Shoe Ankle Leg High heels

This photo is of Early Russian, Notice how the top of the pass-thru is flatter
Nose Finger Hand Close-up Technology

then the East German below:
Nose Hand Finger Close-up Photography

To me, it looks like the Early Russians were ground flat.

Next, and this is what got me all excited. I have over 10 EG mags and just recently acquired the one on the left. The original photo in the 8rd mag sticky did not provide enough clarity to see the East German follower slide catch. Notice how the slide catch [on the left mag] is different from the catch on the right hand mag. Both these mags bodies are EG. I can only assume either a) all my other EG mags have had their followers replaced to a Russian style, or b) two different types of EG followers exist.

Product Automotive exterior

I hope this is informative. I am allowing use of these photos in the sticky. I will correct any known issues with the data in the post, as its pointed out.

Thanks for your time,

VA-Vet

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.