K-98 High Turret Restoration Project

Thread: K-98 High Turret Restoration Project

Default K-98 High Turret Restoration Project

Hey guys,

I recently picked up what is believed to be an original High Turret K98. I figured I would share the buy and what I hope it to look like some day.

Here it is today switched over to a correct "BYF" Norwegian capture laminate stock and a set of Robert Spielauer HT reproduction mounts.

Hopefully I can find an Ajack scope for the build and it will look like this some day.

-Brian
    ***ASK ME HOW TO "ACCURIZE" YOUR MOSIN OR MAUSER AND MAKE IT MORE ACCURATE***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) AND "IGOR" PEM MOUNTS***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) DYNAMO "D2" GECO BASE, MOUNT, AND SCOPE***
    ***LOOKING FOR PE AND PEM SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR ZF-39 ZEISS 4X ZIELVIER SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR RUSSIAN CAPTURE K-98'S (43-44 BNZ AND CE 44)***
    ***LOOKING FOR COMPLETE DOUBLE CLAW OBJECTIVE MOUNT ZEISS/HENSOLDT SETS***

That's a lucky find! I think its awesome that you're trying to restore it. Hope you find an original scope to go with it.

That is a rifle will worth restoring. Is it an h block?

Roberts mounts are very nice quality. Hope you find a nice complete upper or a nice original scope.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Brian, Good luck with it! Bolt56

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    That is a rifle will worth restoring. Is it an h block?

Roberts mounts are very nice quality. Hope you find a nice complete upper or a nice original scope.
    Yes, it is an "h" block and according to Vaughn it's legit. I think an Ajack would certainly complete the look I'm going for. However, I'm going to give my bank account a break for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by bolt56 View Post
    Brian, Good luck with it! Bolt56
    Thanks bud!

Quote Originally Posted by Raupleminze View Post
    Yes, it is an "h" block and according to Vaughn it's legit. I think an Ajack would certainly complete the look I'm going for. However, I'm going to give my bank account a break for a little while.
    It has the additional firing proof for a sniper and the work for the bases looks as it should. Looked good to me as well from what I could see and Vaughn's OK is a good thing. I like the Ajack scopes but any original one would be nice in my book. There was a serial study to scopes used that would show you what was probably on it originally.

Mike,

I would be interested in seeing that serial study (even though I am sold on the look of the Ajack).

Hey guys,

Well it's been quite a while but I have the rifle back after a forum member worked his magic with it. I ended up using the Norwegian capture stock in the above pics on another project and was able to acquire a nice correct white glue laminate stock for this project. It took over a year of buying every white glue laminate hand guard I could find to try and match it, but I think this one is pretty close. I also (with help) tracked down the correct "byf" unserialed WaA135 trigger guard, barrel bands, band spring etc. I was also able to find a correct "gqm 44" butplate, WaA135 follower, original cleaning rod, action screws, capture screws, and sight hood. All I need to do now is find an "h" block WaA135 bolt that matches itself, as this one is an earlier WaA655 matching (to itself). Please let me know if any of you happen to have one for sale.

I ended up purchasing 2 4x90 Ajack scopes from Europe and having them used to create the scope I was wanting for the build. I was set on using a longer sunshade for the front bell. The scope had the claw mounts removed, a dent repaired in the front bell, and a complete cleaning and rebuild. Then it was reassembled and blued before soldering it in the set of Robert S. reproduction High Turret rings.

I will hopefully get a chance to get some better pics and range results soon.

Nice looking restoration. Thanks for the pictures.

Looks like Damn Good restoration . One of the best looking projects I have seen in a long while . Congrats on completion . Best Regards

That is one nice looking HT Brian, well worth the effort you put into it.
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

Very nice. White glue is a plus. The Ajack looks great. Range report.

that could be a contender at the vintage sniper matches..... It would certainly turn some heads!!