Gunboards Forums banner

dark winter

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  AmmoSgt In Memoriam 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#4 ·
Funny, its really "Dark Winter" for us here in the Arctic :D were down to less then 5 hours of Sun above the horizon, losing 8 minutes a day (and it will accelerate) and total dark in mid Dec till early Jan when the cycle reverses untill were at 24 hour daylight in early May....

Would be better for my environment if the cooling trends keeps allrighty

#5 ·
Further evidence that I need some sort of heating alternative in my home. Propane isn't going to get any cheaper even if the S does not HTF.

#8 ·
The dark winter comes to Buffalo NY they are predicting 90 inches of snow by tomorrow night the extremes are what has me worried how do you prepare for 7 1/2 feet of snow in 1 shot and these events seem to be happening more often with hurricanes , tornadoes or just plain extreme cold or heat. Could it be Haarp and could this be from another country . I'am sure somebody here has detailed scientific facts on this I'am asking Sarge what do you think, and frodo let's hear your simplified solution as we have all come to appreciate.

#9 ·
Personally I think that it is probably climate change.. I just don't think human activity is a major cause of it.

http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm I think we have cold and hot spells of 10's or 100's of years all the time , rarely 1000's of years long.. the droughts in the Midwest are documented thru plant studies and geology happen at pretty regular intervals .. the Dust Bowl being one of them and a short one at that http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0614_050614_drought.html
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/cycles.htm

The only thing new in any of this , is who is getting blamed... I'm sure the carbon we burn matters .. I just don't think it matters all that much compared to solar cycles and other global factors

But , count on it, climate will change, there will be massive drought and giant glaciers, and whole cycles of Hurricanes over long periods of time...

What I want to know.. is are we now in a good climate time or a bad climate time right now?

#10 ·
Personally I think that it is probably climate change.. I just don't think human activity is a major cause of it.

http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm I think we have cold and hot spells of 10's or 100's of years all the time , rarely 1000's of years long.. the droughts in the Midwest are documented thru plant studies and geology happen at pretty regular intervals .. the Dust Bowl being one of them and a short one at that http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0614_050614_drought.html
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/cycles.htm

The only thing new in any of this , is who is getting blamed... I'm sure the carbon we burn matters .. I just don't think it matters all that much compared to solar cycles and other global factors

But , count on it, climate will change, there will be massive drought and giant glaciers, and whole cycles of Hurricanes over long periods of time...

What I want to know.. is are we now in a good climate time or a bad climate time right now?
It's 10 degrees right now outside so I think it's a bad climate , I have never seen a year as cold as this and have friends in their 80s that tell me it's the coldest they have ever seen . The news reports that all 50 states have freezing temps tonight that I'am not sure about because of Hawaii but it's cold for sure somewhere
Go to State / Region
Click On Map Below To Zoom In

#12 · (Edited)
Mauna Kea is almost 14,000 feet high... and it is in Hawaii .. it would be odd if it wasn't near, or colder than, freezing occasionally. The Weather in Honolulu today was a high or 84 a low of 73 winds 15 mph humidity 64% and a 30% chance of rain. But yes, it seasonally normal at both Honolulu and Mauna Kea current conditions at the top of Mauea Kea http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/ and they expect it to drop below freezing again on Thursday http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/forecast/mko/.

From a survival point, the Swedes have a saying.. there is no such thing as bad weather.. only bad clothing.

Think of this as an opportunity to check out your cold weather survival clothing and winter survival skills. Test and check your back up heat source in case you lose power or whatever on normal winter nights ... it's a training opportunity , how cool is that?

Real shtf is going to be much worse, even if the weather is better.

We are supposed to be preparing for the end of the world as we know it. having to deal with the end of Autumn as we know it shouldn't be a big deal. And it certainly does not deserve it own whole conspiracy.

Pictures of Mauna Kea http://satftp.soest.hawaii.edu/space/hawaii/nav/ap.mauna_kea.html some with snow. It had the occasional snow cap, in season, and under normal conditions, long before HAARP ever existed or was dreamed of.

#14 ·
Well... that settles it.. obviously.

and then there is this.. that suggests we are in a rare warm period, historically speaking

http://www.climate4you.com/GlobalTemperatures.htm

Much colder than this has been the norm much more of the last 500,000 years than periods this warm.

But since you are at the center of the world and your personal experience and memory is the recognized official record of the planet.. we will go with your data.

#16 · (Edited)
Don't know that he belongs here, you take this in a political direction instead of survival and they will just lock or dump the thread ... thank you for your meaningful contribution.

I'm a bit at a loss here.. how the heck does "why" the weather happen, have anything to do with if you are prepared to deal with it or not? The Weather is what it is, it doesn't care if you are cold or hot, or if the weather is being fair or unfair to you personally, it doesn't matter if you think it is a conspiracy or natural... you have a minor shtf, folks are going to be inconvenienced, cut off without heat or enough food or water.. the ones that prepped and know what to do will be fine.. some, the old, the weak, the unprepared, may die or become ill.. folks who are dependent on home health care visits or food delivery are going to be hit hard, some folks trying to dig out are going to have heart attacks or get frostbite. Folks who didn't have an emergency bag or kit in the car are going to suffer.

It doesn't matter if this is a record or unprecedented or just like the Blizzard of 1970 .. you are about to find out if you had your stuff ( that's the official forum "stuff" word that really means the slang term for feces that cannot be printed) together on a pass/fail basis, you have an opportunity to learn from others mistakes. This is either what your prepped for or what you should have prepped for.. that's all it is.. How you doin' so far?

#17 ·
I woke up and put more wood in the stove so I guess I made it , from my observations this is a trend and we better face the facts that we can't prepare for every scenario . As far as the cause I believe someone is trying to correct global warming and they think the're smarter than mother nature.

#18 ·
Just remember this to help you keep it straight.
If it's record cold, like a record cold month or winter, that's just weather.
If it's record heat, like the new record for the third hottest day in august since 1888, that's life altering, earth destroying climate change.
Get it.
:laugh:

#19 ·
Personally I welcome the extreme cold simply because it throws "it" right into the face of some very arrogant people.
Had they gone about things with a little respect for others and could and would actually give fact based responses to those with dissenting opinions and honestly debated the subject I might feel differently.
I don't like being bulldozed or strong armed into anything.

Other than that I prefer it warm.

#21 ·
Bill, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I have to fight with myself over the same kind of anger.. but since I don't know the future, I don't know who is going to be right in the end. Getting pushed around on global warming stuff is just an extension of getting pushed round on the gun stuff.

We are screwing up the environment.. one of our biggest problems as preppers is finding water to drink without a small water treatment plant in our backpack. Peking looks like the Southern California I grew up in. Truth is, about 90% of all the really bad shtf involve the oil running out . about 90% of the current trouble in the world is over a shortage of something, happens to be oil now, but we know it will be water soon enough.. we know what malnutrition and starvation is.. about a Billion folks go to bed hungry every night.. Don't let your anger blind you, just about everything environmental getting pushed down our throats, near as anybody can tell about these things, is something we kind of need to do to stave off TEOTWAWKI anyway, and by our own scenarios, not their by their theories.

The Historical record shows us the climate changes .. the conditions during the 1600's-1700's- early 1800's The Little Ice Age .. the crop failures and famines and "let them eat cake" which Marie said because there was crop failure due to cold weather and the people didn't have enough hard wheat for their bread, I mean, personally, I always assumed that Marie thought that the soft wheat crop did okay and there would be plenty of soft wheat for cake, but researching it , nope turns out the soft wheat crop got nailed too.. and she was just being a tyrant.. who knew?
We need to screw up nature less so there is more room to bug out and live off the land... and what about me.. I eat the bushes and weeds, I don't need people getting them all dirty. And we need less people, or be willing to cope with those primordial and galactic forces that match up demand with supply and even things out when there is a glut or shortage of anything, that we call SHTF.

I kinda look at it like I look at the conspiracy to keep the price of precious metals down.. they doing it the wrong way and for all the wrong reasons, but on balance I can profit and come out ahead and live better off the grid and off the land and with enough space to lay down and stretch out instead of living cheek to jowl with liberal tree huggers Liberal tree huggers hug trees all wrong, probably molest them while they do it.. just ask any conservative tree hugger.

The lines shift, every year the give out Nobel prizes in all sorts of sciences and about half the time the one they award this year is for proving the guy who won one the year before was wrong. I just had the whole greenie thing walk away from me and start hugging nuclear reactors as carbon free, they used to be my friends, but they got sold a bill of goods and we got sold Fukushima. Do I want to shake somebody by the collar, dam right I do. But right now I want cleaner water more and a little less hunger and a little more stability in this world.. When I die I want folks to think I was a total fool for prepping and I want them to think my Kids and my Kid's Kids are fools too.
Going into a mini ice age or even a full one is NOT a better deal than global warming. And I got skin in this game, i'm going to lose more trees this year.. pretty sure I already lost a pecan, got froze with all the leaves still green, next morning it was a frozen brown tree... I bet the climate might trend warmer.. turns out, tonight and after last winter that I should have planted Sugar Maples instead of Olives. Or may not, when you are talking sapling to decent crop it is hard to see that far ahead sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.