Gunboards Forums banner

HVA Identification Help

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  DK PHILLIPS In Memoriam 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm relatively new to the world of firearms and I was hoping to get some more information on a rifle I picked up the other day. Its says Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB 30-06 serial number 135XXX. If you have any tips on maintenance or issues that these rifles experience that would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
that might be true, however my technological ineptitude might hinder the process somewhat. Here are a couple photos of the gun. It came with the scope and the strap. Havent had a chance to take it to the range yet, but hopefully will be able to get out for some late season hunting with it in the next week or two.

#5 ·
I have a HVA marked .243 much the same as your rifle, it has M98 style action, marked Carl Gustavs, but the bolt doesn't have the rear locking lug. I have no idea where the action was made, although it looks like an overgrown Swedish M96 one, the barrel is clearly marked as HVA made, indicating that it is a Swedish barrel. My timber is top grade and the rifle, whilst getting on in years is still very accurate and is my first choice in all my hunting bar the big red Sambar deer we have here in Australia, I use the HVA 8mm mauser round on those. happy shooting. Col

#8 ·
Baribel

When I first got this rifle those were my first thoughts and I was going to use it as a basis for a lighter calibre round, however, the action is longer than the M94 and M96 actions and the front locking lugs are also larger, as is the action and action wall thickness. The rifle is clearly marked HVA and Carl Gustavs, not a ex-military remake and compares exactly to the model 2000 rifles. Standard 243 Win's show no signs of pressure or case/bolt stretching over the years. Col

#10 ·
Colfi,
Then it's a 1900 variant (or action model 1970). That's a different animal. Not a Mauser but a derivative, modern rifle.

Sam,
There should not be other markings other than the top of the front ring with the "H"Crown and the S/N, HVA trademark, the proof mark (Nitro) and the caliber all on the barrel.
Your rifle is a 1100 made on a "commercial" FN M/98 action used on some models of HVA rifles.

#11 ·
Both guns discussed are some of the best compaired to what was being made in the same time periods....FN 98
Time war tried actions....strong and classic lines...

the 1900 ...with vault like smooth repeatable caming lock up of lugs bearing surfaces ....
Accuracy on pair with entry level target guns in a sporter configurations ...
Slim modern desig made with the best swedish steel low carbon hammer forged barrels...
Modern designed .stocks fit finish compared but not bet by rifles today .....
Both of you have excellent made guns...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.