Gunboards Forums banner

10 Prepping Mistakes That Could Kill You (And How to Avoid Them)

2K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  DK PHILLIPS In Memoriam 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Good advice other than the get ready to kill your friends and/or neighbors if they want a sip of water or an aspirin for a sick kid..or that they will think of killing you over said water/cracker/mre instead of asking for help and offering to help you survive.
Is intense paranoia required to be sort of ready for survival? Does everybody who is not sitting on a pile of goodies need killin?
That guy thinks so it seems.

#4 ·
chasdev.. absolutely... you chances of survival increase the more friends and allies you have. And IMHO that means prepping to help folks both mentally and with supplies... you don't have to be a sucker, you can be strategic about it, but it is a card you need in your deck.

#5 ·
Is intense paranoia required to be sort of ready for survival? Does everybody who is not sitting on a pile of goodies need killin?
That guy thinks so it seems.
Not a bad mental attitude to have.
At least you have thought of that scenario and considered it so if you are faced with a situation (god forbid) similar you have at least run it through your mind and have an idea of how to react.
Mental preparedness is very important.
Not saying I condone such an action but at least you have mentally prepared yourself for such an event.

#6 ·
Madmo .. sorry , that won't work... you try to get a mental picture of a potential threat and get all mentally prepared and then see what real people look like after they have lost everything and have gone a couple nights without sleep or food and are trying to get the kids to stop crying and it will all just fall apart.. it would be like trying to get GI's to not share MRE's with orphans or something... Patton had to put well meaning GI's at gun point to stop them from feeding the inmates at death camps, because too much food too fast would kill them.

Being human just comes naturally to humans sometimes. In a disaster or catastrophe there are going to be situations where the urge to be kind will be overwhelming... I would think being on guard against overdoing the kindness is going to be harder to control than the urge to just shoot people down out of fear, which really doesn't come all that naturally.. even under sever duress.

#7 ·
safety in numbers, no doubt about it and really not even debatable.
but.....you still have to be ready or mentally prepared to be someone or do something you never thought you were or would really do.
your neighbor can be your friend or your enemy and you never really know which

#9 ·
Ammo I don't think we are connecting on the thought process.
Each individual will react based on their set of morals and ethics, life experiences and state of preparedness.
Neither of us can predict how someone else will react in a particular situation, we can only guess and that guess is based on our own set of morals and ethics, life experiences and state of preparedness.
My point is being prepared for the worst is better than not being prepared at all.

#11 ·
Yeah, don't get me wrong.. I'm just saying if your mental preparation is too far off from the reality in front of you, and you discount that being a helping Hero is the more natural urge than the killer Hero.. if you underestimate the second guessing , both from yourself as well as others that comes with either course of action, the second guessing comes much sooner, almost immediately with killing somebody ( even in the most clear cut and consequence free situations) , than the much slower questioning of the wisdom of helping.. you can over do either one just as easily.

#22 ·
Family can turn on you just as fast a friend.
In fact I have seen family member screw other family members over worse just because they figured they would be forgiven.

#23 ·
Look on the bright side... in a bad shtf situation ( is there any other kind?) you can easily get back at anybody that screws you over by simply putting them in charge or making them responsible for something significant.

#25 ·
OPSEC and common sense. Having a "MANAGEABLE GROUP" is the key. If your group is too big for substenance, then you just resort to aggressive activities that get you killed or erase decency for ever. A sustainable group is key, not infinite.

#27 ·
I suppose everybody gets to "prepare" for whichever event they choose, with as much overlap as possible between say sheltering in place and bugging out or a tornado/earthquake/volcano event, not to mention civil unrest, OR as in my family's case a (without warning of any kind) flash flood that ruined close to everything I owned in 30 minutes..
So planning on having a running car/truck/motorcycle and spare fuel, taking family records and heirlooms (small ones like pictures, gold-cash-guns) and a few days food along in said running cart/truck/etc..versus standing in a pile of wreckage that used to be all of the above makes the choices of what to get and how/where to store it very interesting indeed.

#28 · (Edited)
5 people that prepare....may over lap in some things...and support shortages not thought of in other areas...
The biggest is meshing of responsibilities with common goals.....
not letting personality conflicts divid and conquer projected needs.....
Essential questions would be.. Enforcement / Humanity laws....
when the death notice comes ...what it must look like is the law supported ?

Not yoking your self with a preppers of different values....
just because they have supplies and similar ideals..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.