Gunboards Forums banner

Bubba mounting a scope, or something else?

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Ronbo6 
#1 ·
There are too many holes for me to figure out the history. Any thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
The perpetrator was a moron.

#4 ·
Are there any holes that are period? The diamond shape has me hunting around to what that could have been Was thinking maybe a Parker Hale, but it's too far forward. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm seeing 3 different series of holes. Who does that?!

#7 ·
You know what ya have there?
That gun was once owned by Imma Holl
She is the great grandmother of Ida Dune Muckup who was mother to Leroy Muckup known by his friends and neighbors a Bubba Muckup

#8 ·
One hole is original location. The ejector screw located low in line with the center of the charger bridge. You can still make out the shadow of the screw head. I doubt the hole is original as it was probably chased out for whatever Bubba decided to mount there at one time. By the pattern it looks like an attempt to mount a plate..perhaps for a receiver sight?
The others look like they might have been used to make up one of the homemade side mounts for scoping which were hailed as easy and cheap on the internet years back. Piece of angle stock and a Weaver base on top of that.
Two of those holes...look as though Bubba was given a new cordless drill for his birthday. Ewww...

Where did you ever find that poor rifle?

#10 ·
Hope it wasn't too bad of a burn. Collectability is gone. Aside from the holes, does it appear to be a shooter? If it is, you might plug the holes and paint it black just to hide the ugly.

Otherwise...nah I can't say it. I just can't. Dare I say it? ;)

#12 ·
haha I like that!

Hope it wasn't too bad of a burn. Collectability is gone. Aside from the holes, does it appear to be a shooter? If it is, you might plug the holes and paint it black just to hide the ugly.
Otherwise...nah I can't say it. I just can't. Dare I say it? ;)
The stock was sporterized and there wasn't a mag. I'm out $100, but fortunately it didn't go higher.

It's in otherwise good condition and could still see use as a hunting/truck gun. I think it's actually calling for me to drill a few more holes and add another scope. Muhahahahaha.

#13 ·
Hmmmm....looks like tapping,screws, tig, careful filing, and refinish are in order to bring it outside. Otherwise quarantine is mandated. :^)

#19 ·
I'm going to make my own mounts and trick it out. You know, tacti-cool before tactical was cool. I'll tack on a flashlight, IR laser, and think I could also fit a magnifier on there. I'll make sure to take all of the credit and display the US Property marking. Then I'll repost it and see if anyone's head explodes. :)

On second thought, maybe I should just tuck it deep into the back of the safe and never let it see light again.

#20 ·
Even though sportered and 'butchered' to some extent, it can still be useable. Plug and fill the holes, refinish the timber or go with an aftermarket stock. Get a decent scope mount that's known to work.
Bipods and gizmo's only add weight and do nothing for accuracy. Print the rifle on paper. You'd be surprised what a bobbed No4 can do. You have only $100 invested in the chassis. Go ahead and finish it into something you like. You might end up with a low cost reliable rifle for less than store prices.
I've found that Bubba wasn't always too stupid. Most times he sportered a known good shooter to make it practical for himself. I mean why waste time and money on saw blades if the shootin' iron aint worth it? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.