Gunboards Forums banner

Mosin PU reticle problem

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  marc_j 
#1 ·
I recently bought two great shape 1944 Izhevsk PUs. These have near perfect bores and nice shape stocks - all matching, scope serial number matches the receiver stamp. Canada so no import marking. 2012 Molot exports.

Of course everything can't be perfect. First time out one scope fogged up completely. The other has a very small reticle problem that, if you only owned one PU, you might not even notice. The center post point has a very small burr on it. At first I though it was a piece of dirt so I tried removing it with fine brush soaked in alcohol - no luck. After completely disassembling the scope I discovered the problem is a burr that must have been on the reticle since it was made.
It seems like a very small thing but if you use a 1" dot at 100 m then it is very distracting. Here are a couple of pictures in case yours looks the same - this burr is less than 10 um so the is no chance of fixing it - just have to put up with it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, that would drive me crazy too. I've seen scopes with that problem before (Mike Radford has posted pics of one of his PUs that has a "hook" at the top of the reticle). Another thing that I hate is when the top of the reticle post is more "blunt" like some of them-makes it harder to aim at small points precisely.

#3 ·
We have a board member Raspootin (?) who repairs these scopes and he might fix both of yours
if you pulse him.

It does bring up the subject of what to do when a PU scope needs fixing and a PU sniper with a inoperative scope is a former sniper in value. Condition of optics is critical . I bought awesome condition original WWII Soviet PU scopes when NCReptile had them for sale (the entire Soviet WWII PU scope market seems to have vanished) so I could shoot my PU snipers and not risk damage to matching original PU scopes. This has panned out for me but I would not hesitate to now get a Accumounts PU repro scope and use that for shooting purposes. Having a spare PU scope is not a bad idea.

As cold as it is in Russia and in Canada, I am surprised your PU scope fogged over, they were made for this kind of temperature issues. Good luck on fixing this problem.

#4 ·
Hi Guys,
I can do re-pair/replacement of any PU scope part. I just happen to have gotten another shipment of PU scopes from the former Motherland last week!
Reticle issues are a pain to deal with. Especially if you have to replace it as both the rear and center lens blocks have to come out AND both turrets. however it is doable. Fogging is very common and much easier to deal with. It does seem like the PU scope market has dried up. Which is why I've tried to pick up a few large PU scope groups this year. I think 2-3 of us have cornered what little is left on the PU scope market.
FYI, for those who want to pick up a spare PU scope(excellent idea)I will be selling more PU scopes for around $200 only :)

Shoot me a PM marc_j and we can chat on how fix your scopes issues.

#5 ·
Marc_j,

looks easily fixable if you can work under magnification (seems by super Marco the pics you can). Since the bottom on PU optics fell out long ago you can pick up a parts scope easily and cheaply. Most collectors of PU optics got out couple years back with influx of $550 refurb PUs mosins. Alternatively, you could pick up one of the Ukraininan copies that can be had really cheap now and swap the reticle.

#6 ·
Fog problem is already fixed (disassemble and re-seal). The reticle can't be repaired. The wire is spring steel and the burr is only about 10 microns - you would need a sophisticated laser to cut with the kind of accuracy required. I think I will follow up with Raspoontin on replacement parts.
I disassembled both scopes using the sticky in this forum. I work a lot with microelectronics so I have tools and experience with very find scale work. You don't want to disassemble these scopes just for the fun of it. If it is working, leave it alone. Most of the cloudiness in the optics seems to be from condensed oil the objective lens (the front one). If yours is cloudy, remove and clean this lens first. Evaluate the result before going further.
For those disassembling, a effective wrench can be made by making a 1.25 inch hole in 3/4 plywood and making a saw cut to the hole and about 2 inches on the other side. Open the cut end with a wedge and push the scope body into the hole and release the wedge. Squeezing the open cut end will allow you to get a strong grip on the scope tube without risking any damage. (If you measure the hole location before you drill it you can rip to the center :) - works anyway).

#10 ·
Sent my PU scope to Raspootyn to disassemble and clean up the grease that was on the inside of the lens. While checking my scope out he found another problem that needed correcting. His prices were very reasonable and his turn-around time was approximately three weeks. It was sure great to find someone so reasonable to work on my scope and is an expert repairman! I've had my PU sniper rifle since 1996 and have not fired it because of the fogginess/grease issues. I plan to take it out tomorrow and sight my sniper rifle in now. It's sure neat to look threw that scope now and see things crystal clear!

#13 ·
I repaired the scope shown using Raspootyn's donor scope option. After exchanging the reticle I was able to remove most of the burr shown in the OP. Now I have a serviceable replacement scope.

If you aren't confident you can do this yourself, send it to Raspootyn. It isn't like you can get another at Walmart tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.