Gunboards Forums banner

Russian Mosin Documents

28K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Froggermauger 
#1 ·
Hi Gents,
I think this probably was posted somewhere before, but just in case I'm posting it again. Found it on a great Russian site with tons of original military books and manuals. Here is the link to the site with all the docs, sorry in Russian only:
http://voennizdat.com/books/?mark=tehnicheskaya&model=weapon

Some docs were in not very convenient djvu format, so I converted it to pdf.
I uploaded Mosin related docs to my dropbox folder for your viewing pleasure.
There is original military manual for M91/30 PU, repair manual for all Mosin variations, Picture book from 1940 (study aid for Russian youth organisation!) and the most curious one - instruction for acceptance of rifles after major repair. The last document is very interesting. It contains locations of some stampings and its meanings. Very interesting read. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z0hixxjejykyifh/AACl4en0BD_R5rwLjuQCXL6Wa?dl=0

#7 ·
Yeah, 91/30 manuals are all over the place. How about a obr. 1891 manual from the time when Czar Nicholas was still ruling the country?

Attachments

#22 ·
I got a scan of this manual from Nick .... it is impressive, it was helpful in learning about the rifles and shooting of them :)

Patrick

#10 · (Edited)
Ok Guys,
I found another exceptionally good site with lots of unique documents. I skimmed some very interesting docs for you. Most are pre-soviet, there are some early soviet and some WWII time docs, also original patents issued to Leon Nagant.
Here is original website. Author tried to translate names of docs to English. You will need to change encoding in your browser to "Cyrillic Windows" or text will be garbled:
http://alex---1967.narod.ru/waffe/mosin_nagant_1891.html

Here is the link to my dropbox with the coolest docs exported to pdfs:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wu0ma78sjeynnr5/AAASK_LW6yLwSLuzE-bB-yspa?dl=0

I haven't seen this before. Exceptionally cool reading.

Now guys, I'm asking for help :)
Please try to help me to locate M91 handguard :)

#11 ·
ANother cool file

Here is a real gem:https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nis2fmi8tuo4yf/VST_18_762_rifle_1891_30.pdf?dl=0
This is a government standard approved in 1930 for Mosin 1891 rifles. It describes materials, tolerances, process of manufacture and control of the rifles. It has separate section about all stampings (where ut should be located and what they mean). I personally learnt a lot. I could commit to translate this section, but am quite busy ATM. Will try to do it in near future.

Common guys, I put so much efforts into it and nobody seems to care :(

#18 ·
Check the second web site i suggested. It contains extremely interesting historic documents. For example there is a series of articles from Czarist time reviewing pre-mosin weapons from different countries and comparing them. This is difficult to read even for me, because it is written in old russian alphabet and language changed quite a bit since that time.

Also I posted a series of technical docs from Czar times.

#13 ·
Interesting documents. I'm going to see if an online translator like Alta Vista's Babel Fish will yield an understandable English version.

Well, Babel Fish doesn't do Russian. Google and Bing translators give an approximate translation, with some out of context words and some untranslated ones.

#16 ·
I'm interested in the AVS 36 manual. Was there a link?

Reactions: mike radford
#20 ·
Just posted it in other thread. Here is translation of rifle numbering rules during repair:

P is actually equivalent of "R" in russian.

Judging by the 91/30 instruction for rifle acceptance post repair, it means "ремонт" or repair. This was done when barrel was replaced with a new, never used unnumbered barrel. The old replaced barel number was used in this case with additional "P" stamped on right side. In Russia, firearm main part is traditionally barrel, not receiver as in US.

If barrel was replaced with used barrel or with known number, new number was stamped on all other rifle parts, matching replacement.

If both replacement and old barrels had no known numbers, the number from magazine floor was used, again followed by "P".
If new barrel, old barrel and mag floor were with unknown numbers, the number from bolt handle was used.

If all unnumbered parts were used, numbering started from 1 with 1 increment, resetting each year, again followed by "P".

No 2 different numbers were allowed on the rifle except the magazine floor with line out of old number. It was obligatory to polish out old number on all other parts.

#28 ·
Just posted it in other thread. Here is translation of rifle numbering rules during repair:

P is actually equivalent of "R" in russian.
Judging by the 91/30 instruction for rifle acceptance post repair, it means "ремонт" or repair. This was done when barrel was replaced with a new, never used unnumbered barrel. The old replaced barel number was used in this case with additional "P" stamped on right side. In Russia, firearm main part is traditionally barrel, not receiver as in US.

If barrel was replaced with used barrel or with known number, new number was stamped on all other rifle parts, matching replacement.

If both replacement and old barrels had no known numbers, the number from magazine floor was used, again followed by "P".
If new barrel, old barrel and mag floor were with unknown numbers, the number from bolt handle was used.

If all unnumbered parts were used, numbering started from 1 with 1 increment, resetting each year, again followed by "P".

No 2 different numbers were allowed on the rifle except the magazine floor with line out of old number. It was obligatory to polish out old number on all other parts.
I'm now wondering if all the bits of my M91 that doesn't make sense to be there but have a P stamped on/beside them are repaired/updated. It would be nice to know why it's a # matched full length Remington 1917 M91, but with good bits from later runs.

#23 ·
New portion of stuff added:
1941 rifle manual
Atlas of technical drawings
Study aid for close combat encounters
History of the rifle book, 1940
Instruction for production and acceptance of 1895 revolver
Small Arms of red army, book from 1935
and zip file with scans of document, explaining stamps of clothing and similar items.
All available here, enjoy:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q5emfi2hw1807my/AACJLFdWCe-QeOEgKMK4911sa?dl=0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.