Russian Mosin Documents

Thread: Russian Mosin Documents

Default Russian Mosin Documents

Hi Gents,
    I think this probably was posted somewhere before, but just in case I'm posting it again. Found it on a great Russian site with tons of original military books and manuals. Here is the link to the site with all the docs, sorry in Russian only:
    http://voennizdat.com/books/?mark=te...a&model=weapon

Some docs were in not very convenient djvu format, so I converted it to pdf.
    I uploaded Mosin related docs to my dropbox folder for your viewing pleasure.
    There is original military manual for M91/30 PU, repair manual for all Mosin variations, Picture book from 1940 (study aid for Russian youth organisation!) and the most curious one - instruction for acceptance of rifles after major repair. The last document is very interesting. It contains locations of some stampings and its meanings. Very interesting read. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z0hixxjej...juQCXL6Wa?dl=0

I cant view these from mobile but I would love to look at these. Did you translate them to English by chance ?

neat thanks for doing that!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I can translate most interesting parts about the stampings.

There is also similar document for nagant revolver.

Bad news, Comrade.

Off to the gulag for copying secret Mosin documents...same penalty for reading such documents...same penalty for even thinking about Mosin documents...even worse for Nagant documents!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stalin.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	842190

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Yeah, 91/30 manuals are all over the place. How about a obr. 1891 manual from the time when Czar Nicholas was still ruling the country?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cover.jpg   Pages 88-89.jpg  
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

THANKS alexnev!! some super stuff here! my printer's going to get a workout!

If you want to print install .djvu viewer and download files from original web site. This way you wont see stupid marks which were inserted by pdf converter.

Ok Guys,
    I found another exceptionally good site with lots of unique documents. I skimmed some very interesting docs for you. Most are pre-soviet, there are some early soviet and some WWII time docs, also original patents issued to Leon Nagant.
    Here is original website. Author tried to translate names of docs to English. You will need to change encoding in your browser to "Cyrillic Windows" or text will be garbled:
    http://alex---1967.narod.ru/waffe/mo...gant_1891.html

Here is the link to my dropbox with the coolest docs exported to pdfs:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wu0ma78sj...E-bB-yspa?dl=0

I haven't seen this before. Exceptionally cool reading.

Now guys, I'm asking for help
    Please try to help me to locate M91 handguard
    Last edited by alexnev; 12-08-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Default ANother cool file

Here is a real gem:https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nis2fmi8t...91_30.pdf?dl=0
    This is a government standard approved in 1930 for Mosin 1891 rifles. It describes materials, tolerances, process of manufacture and control of the rifles. It has separate section about all stampings (where ut should be located and what they mean). I personally learnt a lot. I could commit to translate this section, but am quite busy ATM. Will try to do it in near future.

Common guys, I put so much efforts into it and nobody seems to care

Alex, thanks for the links.

Iīve never found AVS-36 manual before. Not that I really need it, I donīt have the rifle. Yet...

Also many other very interesting manuals and documents.

Interesting documents. I'm going to see if an online translator like Alta Vista's Babel Fish will yield an understandable English version.

Well, Babel Fish doesn't do Russian. Google and Bing translators give an approximate translation, with some out of context words and some untranslated ones.
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A. Heinlein

I'm committing to translate parts about proof stamps. If there is anything you are interested in particular please let me know. I will try to help.

Quote Originally Posted by alexnev View Post
    . . . Common guys, I put so much efforts into it and nobody seems to care
    I care, this is an ultra-useful thread . . . спасибо. Oh, but don't try to strike up a conversation with me in Russian-I only know a smattering that I've picked up from Mosin collecting and years of being a Great Patriotic War aficionado in general.

I'm interested in the AVS 36 manual. Was there a link?
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Vic,
    For your viewing pleasure. Original .djvu file and pdf conversion. Enjoy!
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ganl5ecrx...Q5kjhGVja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Bugelson View Post
    Alex, thanks for the links.

Iīve never found AVS-36 manual before. Not that I really need it, I donīt have the rifle. Yet...

Also many other very interesting manuals and documents.
    Check the second web site i suggested. It contains extremely interesting historic documents. For example there is a series of articles from Czarist time reviewing pre-mosin weapons from different countries and comparing them. This is difficult to read even for me, because it is written in old russian alphabet and language changed quite a bit since that time.

Also I posted a series of technical docs from Czar times.

Quote Originally Posted by alexnev View Post
    I'm committing to translate parts about proof stamps. If there is anything you are interested in particular please let me know. I will try to help.
    The portions about proof stamps are the most interesting.
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A. Heinlein

Just posted it in other thread. Here is translation of rifle numbering rules during repair:

P is actually equivalent of "R" in russian.

Judging by the 91/30 instruction for rifle acceptance post repair, it means "ремонт" or repair. This was done when barrel was replaced with a new, never used unnumbered barrel. The old replaced barel number was used in this case with additional "P" stamped on right side. In Russia, firearm main part is traditionally barrel, not receiver as in US.

If barrel was replaced with used barrel or with known number, new number was stamped on all other rifle parts, matching replacement.

If both replacement and old barrels had no known numbers, the number from magazine floor was used, again followed by "P".
    If new barrel, old barrel and mag floor were with unknown numbers, the number from bolt handle was used.

If all unnumbered parts were used, numbering started from 1 with 1 increment, resetting each year, again followed by "P".

No 2 different numbers were allowed on the rifle except the magazine floor with line out of old number. It was obligatory to polish out old number on all other parts.

This is among the cooler things I've come across here in a long time. What a great source of authentic reference material. Thanks for putting forth the effort to share it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yeah, 91/30 manuals are all over the place. How about a obr. 1891 manual from the time when Czar Nicholas was still ruling the country?
    I got a scan of this manual from Nick .... it is impressive, it was helpful in learning about the rifles and shooting of them

Patrick
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 1860–2014

New portion of stuff added:
    1941 rifle manual
    Atlas of technical drawings
    Study aid for close combat encounters
    History of the rifle book, 1940
    Instruction for production and acceptance of 1895 revolver
    Small Arms of red army, book from 1935
    and zip file with scans of document, explaining stamps of clothing and similar items.
    All available here, enjoy:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q5emfi2hw...KMK4911sa?dl=0

This is great!

Thank you.

Just coming across your findings... fascinating... Thanks!

?? ?? ?????? ???????!!!