Default Walther P38 problem

Today I took my new (to me) Walther P38 out to shoot. It's a post-war, alloy frame, in very nice shape. I loaded both mags, everything seemed to work smoothly, inserted mag, aimed pulled trigger, first round went off (and ejected) perfectly. The slide came to rest part way back with the next round sticking nose up into the top of the chamber, and the rest of the rounds in the mag were nose down. I pulled the mag out, and it was all I could do to remove the top round, and the others seemed stuck. I finally got them out with some work and a small screwdriver. I tried the second mag. It did exactly the same thing. It was almost as if when the second round moved forward the back end of it turned down and jammed the rest of the rounds nose down. Any idea what could cause this?
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

First step is to field strip, clean, and lube the gun AND magazines.
    Some of these guns and magazines haven't been cleaned in 30 years or more.

When reassembling the magazines, make sure the springs are installed in the right orientation.

Second, try a different brand of ammo. Some guns just don't "like" some ammo.

Make sure the magazines are genuine Walther magazines, not "replica" or old clapped out WWII magazines.

I've been cycling it manually and it seems that when I load about the 6th round, they seem to turn down a little. Could this be caused by the spring being in wrong? I took the mag apart today and it was very clean, but I'm not sure which way the spring goes back in.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

Slop it up with a little extra oil...ie...over oil it.
    Don't "limp wrist" and just keep working with it.

Try the spring both ways...the wrong way will really malfunction bad....then change it. HTH
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959-1963

If it's anything like my walther, it will straight up NOT feed some types of ammo. It has no problems with wolf or sellier and bellot 9mm, but it will always short stroke with brown bear. It cycles fine with fiocchi 100 grain leadless, however, the weird ogive means the rounds all get stuck in the magazine in the manner of which you describe. It will jam frequently on remington gold sabers, but not every time.

Clean everything, over-oil and try different types of ammo.

This was plain old Remington, the cheap stuff from Wal-mart (green/white box). I didn't try anything else today as I wanted to see if I had serious issues. I'll give it a shot with something else.

UMC FMJ ammo has been a problem in several of my 9mm's...it wont work in my Glock 17, short cycles off and on in my Beretta, even in my 9mm revolver the cases bulge and stick in the cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo00 View Post
    UMC FMJ ammo has been a problem in several of my 9mm's...it wont work in my Glock 17, short cycles off and on in my Beretta, even in my 9mm revolver the cases bulge and stick in the cylinders.
    WTF happened to quality american ammo? Couldn't they make it at least as good as cheap russian ammo?

Lawyers.
    I've been told the older 9mm european these pistols were designed for is hotter than US SAAMI standard ammo.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Quote Originally Posted by ab4ka View Post
    This was plain old Remington, the cheap stuff from Wal-mart (green/white box). I didn't try anything else today as I wanted to see if I had serious issues. I'll give it a shot with something else.
    My P-1 simply will not fire the bulk Remington 9mm. Buy a box of the Winchester "white box" 9mm and try that. I think there is a minor OAL difference and I haven't had a stovepipe or FTF since then.

Quote Originally Posted by jjk308 View Post
    Lawyers.
    I've been told the older 9mm european these pistols were designed for is hotter than US SAAMI standard ammo.
    IIRC the original 9mm for the luger was something like 124grain +P. The fiocchi i have that says "made in america" works extremely well in my other autos, and when i had the normal fmj rather than the leadless frangible it worked in my P38. I think remington is being cheap for wal-mart.

I may be a lucky guy, but my cyq Walther digests all the ammo I feed without problems,even the reloads loaded for lesser velocity

My P-1 also feeds jhp w/o problems.

Dont get me wrong...my BYF-43 P-38 eats all ammo, my point was JUST UMC ammo beeing a problem in several of my 9mm's

The P38 design will not properly feed Remington or UMC. We don't know why yet, we just know it causes almost all the FTF problems we receive on the P38 Forum. Before anyone buys any new part or spring for their P38/P1/ please save yourself a lot of hassle and just try the cheap WallyWorld Winchester 115gr. FMJ. Once you do that and can confirm the gun functions properly, THEN you can experiment with other loads and bullet shapes. Make sure the gun functions first.

PS......Up until a year ago, the Remingtons were coming in longer than the Winchester rounds and we (I) guessed that must be why they don't feed. However, in just the past couple months the newer manufacture Remingtons are now coming-up shorter than the Winchester rounds! Evidently cartridge length is not the issue. It could be bullet shape, we just don't know yet.

Dave

I thought this was interesting...on the left is a Remington round and on the right, a Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Antibiotika View Post
    If it's anything like my walther, it will straight up NOT feed some types of ammo. It has no problems with wolf or sellier and bellot 9mm, but it will always short stroke with brown bear. It cycles fine with fiocchi 100 grain leadless, however, the weird ogive means the rounds all get stuck in the magazine in the manner of which you describe. It will jam frequently on remington gold sabers, but not every time.

Clean everything, over-oil and try different types of ammo.
    Even FMJs?

Quote Originally Posted by MauserboyM48 View Post
    Even FMJs?
    Yes... though the fiocchi leadless fmj's are straight cones that come to a point, and the brown bear stuff is pathetically underloaded- something i can feel in my FEG even if it always cycles.