Default CZ-82 Recoil Spring - 16 or 18# ?

Has anybody replaced the recoil spring on their milsurp CZ-82? I know I want a stiffer one, but not sure if the 18# will be too stiff for 95 gr Barnaul, Wolf, or Silver Bear. What are your experiences with the 16# or 18#, especially in regards to shooting 95 gr ammo?

I have replaced with the 18# springs. The strongest spring that will allow reliable function is my preference. Function was flawless with 70 grain PowerBall, 94 grain Silver Bear HP and ball. The gun would not run the Silver Bear 115 JHPs but that was more of a bullet profile problem than a spring one.

Default Stiffer springs

I just tried the 14.5-pound "Factory Standard" and the 16-pound "Extra Power" springs from Wolf in my well-used Cz-82, with Wolf Military Classic. With the old spring it throws casings 30 to 36 feet, and somebody said a new spring or a stiffer spring would reign it in. But whatever spring I use, they fly as far and recoil feels about the same. Another theory says that with a stiffer spring the gun won't beat itself up so much. Maybe, maybe not.

Here's the problem I am trying to solve...

The gun just plain hurts to shoot. (Presumably), When the slide slams full back, it rattles the area where the safety meets the backstrap and either pinches or punches the web of my hand. When the slide slams full forward, it rattles the area where the trigger guard meets the front strap and occasionally pinches my middle finger. I also feel a stinging trigger slap to the pad of my trigger finger quite a bit. I have two CZ-82s, and both did this to some extent...the areas that did not have the smoothest joining of pistol parts caused the most pinching.

I have medium-large hands, my wife has small hands, and my buddy has medium hands...all agreed the pistol fit them well but all felt the same thing. Since we were shooting Barnaul steel-cased, no body noticed how far the shells were ejecting. I have heard others say to change the springs on their stinging PA-63s and CZ-82s. I thought the stronger spring would tame the recoil some.

Is this what you all feel when you shoot the 82? Has the 16 or 18 lb springs helped anyone?
    Last edited by DaBull; 04-07-2008 at 06:28 AM.

DaBull, Your going to have that felt recoil, with all blow back pistols. orchidhunter

I have a Makarov that feels perfectly normal when I shoot it. I believe it came with a 16# spring. With the Pearce grip, it completely fills the hand. The CZ-82 fills the hand just as comfortably, but sure doesn't handle the recoil as well.

I have several Makarovs and 2 CZ-82s. I think the CZs "fill the hand" more comfortably than the Maks, but my Maks all shoot more comfortably than the CZs. All with standard grips.

I too have experienced the trigger slap that DaBull mentions, but not the other pains. To the point that I'm considering ditching the CZs - too bad, because they qualify to be cheap-enough-not-to-worry-about-so-leave-it-in-the-car guns. Maybe it's worth trying a heavier recoil spring first, just to see if that fixes the trigger slap.

I put 150 rounds through the CZ-82 today, after replacing the factory 14.5# recoil spring with a Wolff 18# spring. It still kicked, but there was no sting or trigger slap that I had experienced before. Shells landed about 12 ft to my right. No failures of any kind. Highly recommend the spring if you don't like the recoil.

New springs for your own peace of mind is perfectly acceptable but not really needed in the CZ82.
    IF....however, you notice excessive slam damage (peening) where the slide and frame meet, replace the spring.
    Last edited by The Mr Mitch; 06-21-2008 at 05:58 PM.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959-1963

i've used both 16 and 18 lb springs with the 95 gr bullets, no malfunctions of any kind.

Does anyone make new barrels for the 82's?

Default spring question

I use a wolff 16# in my CZ 82, I shoot 95gr FMJ, I've never had a problem with it.
    Hope this helps

bf
    Never, Never, Never give up!

Winsted - Why do you need a new barrel is the rifling worn out?
    Last edited by PA-Joe; 06-24-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    BCH - Why do you need a new barrel is the rifling worn out?
    TROLL LMAO good one... still a good one.

No but it has a ding on the end like it was dropped on the concrete but it still shoots good.

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    BCH - Why do you need a new barrel is the rifling worn out?

?????

oh you meant another poster
    Last edited by bch7773; 06-24-2008 at 02:17 PM.