Default Mauser standard model 1933 carbine. Value?

Gentlemen, one of my friends has recently bought this, to my opinion, rare example. I think that this is a Mauser standard model 1933 carbine (NOT K98k). As you can see, barrel matches the receiver. The rest is unmatched RC K98.
    The question: Am I right with the model? And, what is the expected market value of this?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by evi_kot; 04-07-2008 at 08:40 PM.

if you clean it up and put on gunbroker? who knows. to me its a nice rc, but a rc, with all the good (find a banner /these are cheep) and the bad (rc, nuff said) that goes with it.
    i wouldnt go more than 350 IF i wanted it which i dont.

Yes, but it is not an everyday RC, it is not even K98k, if you will. I tried to search gunbroker, but there is no such models there at the moment. And my friend is not actually going to sell it, but rather restore and keep. The question about price is asked just out of curiosity.

In every meaningful way it is a 98k, - more than likely it was in 98k configuration going by examples in its range we know of (1934 dated Banners in the 80000 range, no prefix, Mauser siderail)... these were commercial variations of the 98k, actually the predecessor of the 98k- which started with Spandau experiments to shorten the 98b which was decided against for a number of reasons, most importantly because the cheap German givernment didn't want to pay Simson Suhl to do the work (or at least what Simson wanted..)
    These are generally called by collectors Mauser Banner K's as these in this range are usually in the 98k configuration. These came in a number of configurations, the Standard Modell 1924 is probably what you refer too, it was essentially an early 98k type with a different sling arrangement & straight bolt but all is interchangeable- no real difference.
    The Standard Modell, Mauser Banner K's or whatever you want to call them are basically just a Modell98 action and the same as the Gewehr98 or 98k and for the most part are interchangeable parts wise (the Banner K's can come in a number of variations which are variations in name only? Based upon the stock markings DR, DRP, ChdA, GrBB etc.. They are almost always simply Banner K's)
    As with commercially sold rifles these have variations/differences inside the serial ranges, some were sold domestically (Germany to the evil people), foreign sales to a number of countries, who knows whom else?

But bottom line is these are essentially 98k for any practical purpose except for markings and like any 'original' early rifle they command top dollar if 'original' - which any rc isn't and can't ever be.. I don’t see why a Banner commercial 98k rc would command any premium?

Interesting variation on the routine R/C scene, but unless the bore was a mirror, I would not pay much more than any other R/C...
    "There is no pleasure in having nothing to do. The fun is having lots to do and not doing it'"

I think Solman was on target with his estimate of value. The cost of restoring this rifle, buying a correct commercial proofed bolt and Standard Gew stock, plus the cost of the rifle as an RC, would exceed the cost of buying a bolt mismatch example that is not an RC.
    Last edited by runner; 04-07-2008 at 08:49 PM.

SimsonSuhl , thank you for the extended answer. This definitely will help us to identify this little beast.

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    The cost of restoring this rifle, buying a correct commercial proofed bolt and Standard Gew stock, plus the cost of the rifle as an RC, would exceed the cost of buying a bolt mismatch example that is not an RC.
    OK...well you can not restore this rifle....so that is not an option. It is what it is, and that is an RC. Bore condition would be a major factor in value. I think the $350 range is about right, and if a minty minty bore maybe a few more bucks.

How could one of these receviers end up in a Vz24 configuration?

I found one with no date but the recevier was marked the same. Light colored hardwood stock. Had the Vz24 type site.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Archie View Post
    How could one of these receviers end up in a Vz24 configuration?

I found one with no date but the recevier was marked the same. Light colored hardwood stock. Had the Vz24 type site.

If you are refering to the Czech type front sight protector, these will also fit on the Standard Model or K98 front sight. The Standard Modells and Banners were originally stocked with European Walnut, that is often a light color. What type of proofing did the rifle have?

The rear site. It was marked the same with out a date.