Default Astra A-70 9mm turns up in pawn shop troll

Small shop has 2 pistols total, one of them is a blued Astra A-70 in 9 mm. No box or papers come with it, but the damage is only $200. I almost bit, but it only came with one magazine and I really don't need another 9mm low capacity semi.

I can't seem to get it out of my mind though. Any chance of these ever being more highly sought after or valuable? People around here don't seem to put much value on these pistols.

TIA,
    SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Bob In St. Louis is online now Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

Since none of the Spanish handgun manufacturers are still in business, I would imagine with time the various products of these industries are going to gain in collectability. It may be a few years down the road, but it is bound to happen eventually.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

Forget collectability on late Astras. You won't live long enough to see it.

And forget the A70. It is a perfect representation of mediocrity.

M

Quote Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
    And forget the A70. It is a perfect representation of mediocrity.

M
    I beg to differ on that last statement.

A 9 X 19 pistol in a package the size of a .380?

The one I have has never failed to feed. The only complaint is the weight of the all steel frame.

They do make a good "car pistol," though.

Charlie

Charlie: If you are depending on the car to carry it for you, why do you care how big or heavy it is?

There are plenty of 9mm or larger caliber pistols that are the size of some .380s, and that rarely if ever fail to feed.

MEDIOCRE
    adjective

ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish; informal OK, so-so, 'comme ci, comme ├ža', plain-vanilla, fair-to-middling, no great shakes, not up to much, bush-league.

M

Default apples to apples

I have an A75L, pretty much the same gun except lighter (hence the 'L').
    it's almost exactly the same size as my Keltec P11 9mm, and only slightly heavier.
    I prefer the Astra, as it has decock/safety and easier takedown. Both run 100%

But both are too heavy and oversize for my pockets. I carry one of several .380s, and all are smaller than any 9mm. Both of these 9s are locked in a strongbox in my car or truck. In a pinch I could carry them concealed.

Perhaps Mr. M is comparing overlarge .380s to small 9MMs. A better comparison is smallest to smallest:

Keltec or Ruger .380 vs Keltec P11
    llama .380 to Astra A70/A75/A75L, Kahr PM9

I doubt these thing will ever be collectible. However, mediocre? I have an A80 and it is top notch quality all the way. Fit and finish is beyond reproach. So good in fact that I was hard pressed to shoot it at first because it was so flawless. But shoot it I have and accuracy is as good as my 92F. It has NEVER jammed either. I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say about it or any of my 400's. The ones I own are all the experience I have had with the Astra brand (they aren't exactly plentiful at the range) but I would not hesitate to buy another.
    I guarantee that you're smarter than I am.

I find nothing mediocre in my Astra A80 in .38 Super. It also runs 100% reliable, very well built and accurate. :D

Default Astras

I have the A75L and a 400. Both are as precision-made as anything in my collection. I have seen the late Astras compared to SIG, and I'd have to agree if this A75L is typical.

I have read that all the A70s are single action. Is this so? Anyone here own one, how does it shoot?

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!
    Bill

I think our definitions vary.

The Astra A70 is a single action, 8 shot, semi-automatic pistol chambered in 9 mm Parabellum.

I find the one I own to be boringly reliable in that it will feed and shoot any round I ask. The accuracy is acceptable for my purposes and abilities.

This pistol is ordinary in that its design is like that of many other successful pistols. It is lackluster in that it performs as designed without any surprises.

My only complaint is that it is a bit heavy for pocket carry.

My old car had limited storage space for a legally carried pistol, so a compact 9 X 19 was preferably to a similarly sized 380 or 9 X 18 mm Makarov.

My new car has a much larger storage area, so I will most likely change over to a 45 ACP when I test one completely to my liking, but that little Astra will always hold a place in my safe.

Charlie

Thanks for the personal observations Charlie. I have always liked the look of the A70, if I get the chance I'll buy one!

I'd of not bought it but $200 is an ok price. If you can get it lower a bit I'd think about it. I never did like the Astra a70's really though I admit I've not shot one.

Collectabilty/resale on more modern and even older Spanish handguns in my area is generally not good but this can be good for me.

At a gun auction I recently attended they were selling low but I did not bite due to other purchases I made or already owning an example or two. All the follwing prices also need to have 12% buyers premium added...

Astra 600/43 sold for $150, I almost bought it.

I should have got a .45acp Star firestar at $200

IIRC a Star BKM 9mm sold for less than $200 with a holster. I thought about bidding on it around $150.

A Destroyer 9mm Largo with replacement sights in ok conditions sold for $100

An Astra 400 I think sold for $150,I bought one last year for $75+10%!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Nine View Post
    I find nothing mediocre in my Astra A80 in .38 Super. It also runs 100% reliable, very well built and accurate. :D
    The A80 in 38 Super is collectable. No doubt about that.

Default astra A75 9mm

I have a A-75 9mm that I picked up at a pawnshop for $160, and this is fine pistol. chewed through many boxes of dirty steel cased monarch 9mm without a hiccup. For $200 that is a good deal, maybe you could talk them down to $175?

The A-75 is a completely different gun from an A-70.

M

Quote Originally Posted by WA9BYR View Post
    The A80 in 38 Super is collectable. No doubt about that.
    Where can I find this info? I would like to have it documented and kept along with my gun for future reference. For some reason, folks don't think very highly of the quality of the Astra handguns. As I previously stated, very solid, and reliable.

Thanks for the replies. Going to let this one go. Found a Star BS to help get it out of my mind.

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Default quality

Many people dismiss all Spanish guns as being of inferior quality. A lot of this comes from a period when Llama pistols may not have been as well made as later and earlier examples. Star and Astra never had a period of lesser quality to my knowledge. Astra seems to be the best of the 3.

People who own them usually develop an admiration for them.
    All those other opinions tend to keep the prices reasonable for us.
    Last edited by Rex B; 07-10-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Default Spaniards

I've always read good things about Astras, especially the 400s with those barrels so long they could take down the Batplane. But the only one I've ever seen in the steel looked like it had been used to drive rail spikes on a few miles of the Baikal-Amur-Manchuria line. Around here, Spanish pistols run $100 to $200 when the dealer actually wants to sell them, as opposed to waiting around a year or two for a pigeon to pay $200 and up. Their reputation is just horrible around here, and probably wasn't helped by the general comments in the Pistols of the World/Small Arms of the World books. I wouldn't have bought (and didn't buy) any of the dozens I've seen recently, but will keep my eye out for an excellent Astra for under $200.

Default re: Spaniards

Mr. Butterfly, I have a pretty nice 400 that I'd sell, but I want a little more than that for it. They are very well made pistols.

I also have a number of Llama .380s that were made in the 1940s. Each is a quality miniature of a 1911A1, differing only in the extractor, which is external like some other modern 1911s.
    Beautiful little guns, and my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex B View Post
    I have the A75L and a 400. Both are as precision-made as anything in my collection. I have seen the late Astras compared to SIG, and I'd have to agree if this A75L is typical.
    Would you be interested in selling your A75L?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadRunner View Post
    Would you be interested in selling your A75L?
    No, I think it's a keeper, thanks.
    The 400 is spoken for though. I never did warm up to that thing.

Thanks for the reply Rex. I didn't think that you would want to sell it but I thought I would give it try anyway.

Default Never hurts to ask

I'll PM you if I change my mind.
    You never know.

Default A-75

I have a Nickel plated Astra A-75 in very good condition that is .40S&W cal. that I would like to trade for the A-70 model in 9mm. anyone here interested?

Default sold

Item sold

Default Seriously searching for an A-70

Looking to replace the A-70 I had to give petitioner in the divorce (to save the Kimber's and SA's). I really like that pistol and want another, so any info on locating one in good shape would be very appreciated (such as the location of the small shop where SlimTim spotted one)
    Thanks to all....