Gunboards Forums banner

EG Makarov Failure at the Range

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  VA-Vet 
#1 ·
This weekend one of my EG Maks gave me fits at the range. You may recall the jamming problems I noticed during my first trip to the range:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?389150-Pair-of-Maks-Range-Report&highlight=pair+maks

On my second trip to the range this past weekend the problems got worse. My initial theory was that the old Norinco ammo might not have enough “power” to eject the shells, so I started shooting through my last two boxes of it to reproduce the original failure. Sure enough, the gun proceeded to jam again at least three times before I got through 100 rounds. I was cycling through six different magazines, but none of them stood out. The jamming occurred with different magazines each time. Then I switched to Prvi Partizan (PPU) and the problems continued to get worse. In fact, before I got through the first box the slide stop lever was getting difficult to operate. Every time I switched mags I had to pull back on the slide while holding down the thumb release to get the first round to chamber. By this time nearly every round was jamming. I ran short on time (and patience), so I packed up and came home. When I pulled the gun out later I noticed the slide slop was rattling around and was completely broken off. I’m not sure exactly when that happened, or whether it is the *cause* of the problems, or a *result* of the problems. I have attached a bunch of pictures. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. I’m ready to buy a new slide stop and spring on Ebay, but I’d sure hate to break another one if this is not the cause of these problems.

Regards,
Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent pictures of a broken slide stop. Thanks. You may have read here, if you search the posts on the forum, that the slide stop is one of the only parts that are even remotely prone to fail on a Makarov. I think replacing it will fix your problems. Nice looking EG.

#4 ·
Detail stripping a Makarov is incredibly easy. All you'll need is a screwdriver or, better yet, the original cleaning rod/combination tool. For what it is worth, parts breakage on a Makarov is fairly rare. This is the first time I've even heard of this sort of failure. With the broken piece removed I suspect it would still function but without the slide hold open feature. These are not delicate pistols with tiny little parts. They were made to be used and abused by Soviet troops and fire cartridges that might be, at times, poor quality. So, by all means watch the video North Bender suggested and have at it. ABTOMAT

#5 ·
The slide stop also functions as the ejector. From your photo I circled the ejector part. It looks like there may be some excess wear on it at the tip, maybe not but needs replaced anyway. If you can't get the spring by it's self w/o the sear I would just reuse the one you have.
While the slide is off take a look at the extractor and check to see if it is badly chipped or has a burr kicked up in the area circled. Probably not as most of your photos show an ejector problem more that a extractor problem, but check and clean anyway.

#6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys! I didn't pull the extractor out, but I didn't see any chips for burrs on it while the slide was off and turned over. I went ahead and purchased and installed this "New Old Stock" slide stop on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221756346426

I'm not certain how "original" this particular part is. When it arrived it appeared to be more "machined" than the original part that broke. The old one also had a "K51" stamp on it that the new one doesn't have. Anyway, everything went back together fine and I hope to return to the range soon to test it out.

Cheers,
Scott

#7 ·
Scott,

Could you post a photo of the feed ramp looking at it from the rear. Pick the gun up like you are going to shoot it, and take a photo looking down at it.

From the angle that you show above, it looks like there is some corrosion/pitting on the left side of the feed ramp. But, it could just be reflections.

Thanks,

VA-Vet

#9 · (Edited)
Yes, those look better. Does the ramp feel smooth to you?

Also, load an empty mag in the gun and take and post photos. The mag should be flush with the ramp with no sharp edges (I'm pretty sure on this last piece).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.