Bubba no 4 mrk 1 T rifle / now restored 👍🏻

Thread: Bubba no 4 mrk 1 T rifle / now restored 👍🏻

sick Bubba no 4 mrk 1 T rifle / now restored 👍🏻

hi guys I picked up this Enfield No4 Mk1 bubba t marked rifle very very cheap

The barrel has had 1.5 '' removed and the whole rifle looks like it meet up with a buffing wheel

Few questions is this a real T ?

Is it able to be saved if its real, if so anyone offing that type restoration work?

The mount looks to have been buffed a lot is it fake and are the mount screw fake?

if you want more pics I can take them

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions

Cheers Will

Last edited by BAKER72; 06-14-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Now restored

The markings on the rifle seem to indicate it is a real sniper. As far as the mount, it is so heavily buffed I couldn't say for sure. The base pad screws are staked which is a good sign also. Too bad bubba cut the barrel down! If it were mine I would put a weaver K2 or K3 scope on it and see how it shoots. If the mount turns out to be real you could always sell it or save it for a non bubba T. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself can tell you for sure if the mount is real or repro.

I bought a scopeless T a few years back with a repro mount. I put an old weaver K3 with post and crosshair reticle on it; its fun to shoot and very accurate. Maybe someday I will come across a real scope/mount but until then I enjoy it as is!
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3

Unfortunately it appears that it "was" a No 4T. It has been pretty much screwed up. Big thing I notice right away is the lack of the stock which would have contained the Holland and Holland stamp. Mount pads appear buffed, mount was probably buffed (but can't tell if it is legit or not from the pictures). Better observations than I am capable of will be coming I am sure but I think it is was it is and can't be recovered. I think you could put correct wood back on it with the appropriate hardware and make it something more palatable but it will still be what it is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

I found a scope mount just like that one a couple of years ago at a gun show.

I ended up paying $37.00 for it, along with the cheap 4X Japanese-made scope that was mounted in it. If you look closely, you will likely find "JAPAN" stamped on the end of one of the bosses down near the thumbscrews.

The mount in this post is the second one of these that I have ever seen. I have wondered how many of these 'aftermarket' mounts are out there.

The mount is lighter weight and has much thinner cross sections than an original (or even the faithful reproduction) mounts. To attach the mount to my rifle using the original thumbscrews, I need to put three washers under each thumbscrew to keep the screws from bottoming out in the bases, but the mount DOES fit the bases pretty well.

If those thumbscrews work with that mount without 'shimming', they are MUCH shorter than a set of original thumbscrews, and the original thumbscrews are not slotted. The thumbscrews on your rifle also do not have the deeply dished heads that I expect to see on originals. My guess is they were made to be sold with that mount.

I have tried the mount on my No.4 Mk.1(T) and despite some shortcomings in the cosmetics and mounting departments, the mount and scope fit the bases well, and were quite functional. I was able to shoot groups with it that are every bit as good as the ones I shoot with my No.32 scope.

I figure having a spare scope and mount that I don't need to be as 'careful' with as I need to be with my original equipment is a very good thing to have, and I keep it in the bottom if my transit chest (along with a half-dozen washers) wrapped in an old T-shirt.

Personally, I would try to bring that rifle back as far as I could, given the limitations of it being buffed and Bubba'ed. If you don't figure the efforts aren't worth the cost of a 'correct repro' scope and mount, the mount you have there should be able to give you decent service.

Rebarrel and restock and you have a fine vintage sniper match shooter if that meets your needs.

Or...if the rifle shoots well as it, leave it be and shoot it.

I think Creighton (sp) is NOW making replacement barrels

thanks for the info guys , the cost to fix it is not really a problem, I mean if I put 500 more into than its worth that's fine I would do it.

The mount fits nice and those thumb screw lock up without washers , if someone is making a replacement barrel I might go down that road,
    where the originals replaced when worn or was the rifle retired? I'm guessing but I would think as with all Enfield's repairs and replacements were made
    I have to think there are many lacking the barrel they started life with. I think I will save her.

Purists aside and stay out of this. The rifle is still and always will be a "T" and has been through some tough years since 1944. You can restore it and it becomes a restoration/ reproduction which you can shoot and enjoy. If that meets your requirements, then its a labor of love so to speak and special to you. IT will never be "original" but its not going into a museum , its going to be used. Few T snipers are actually used due to being collectors items . You will have a T that you can shoot and enjoy, so the value of that can be off the charts on the satisfaction scale / fun meter.

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Purists aside and stay out of this. The rifle is still and always will be a "T" and has been through some tough years since 1944. You can restore it and it becomes a restoration/ reproduction which you can shoot and enjoy. If that meets your requirements, then its a labor of love so to speak and special to you. IT will never be "original" but its not going into a museum , its going to be used. Few T snipers are actually used due to being collectors items . You will have a T that you can shoot and enjoy, so the value of that can be off the charts on the satisfaction scale / fun meter.
    Here, here!!!
    I agree 100%
    I have a Mk4 2/3 that bubba took a wire wheel to and ruined the receiver and barrel.
    The stock was not original to the rifle and pretty beat up.
    It was a great shooter so I Dura Coated it and matched the original color and finish and cleaned the stock up and removed as many dents and nicks as possible and now have a shooter that looks arsenal new.
    When I take it to the range it draws a lot of attention.
    I am not one to mess with a nice collectable gun but if bubba has done his magic then I have no problem doing what it takes to make an old dog look new again. The collector value has already been lost.
    The Republic of Texas – Not just a state but an attitude!

For monthly shooting events in DFW TX visit me at:
    www.meetup.com/TexasGunOwner-DFW/

I'll "second" Madmo in this one! Restored, it can be a great shooter "T" and you don't have to worry about something untoward happening. I have a "T" that came without a scope or mounts ... I'm using Sarco scope and mount and I'm happy. Also, I was fortunate enough to run across a G-41M that had been sporterized (wood only) at a bargain basement price. The seller even had a beautifully-done, Walnut replacement stock thrown in. Net result a couple years down the road, Lesek made me a Walnut hand guard and my gunsmith did some work putting everything back together. I should have her back in the rack by this Fall (we need to drill out the stock for the cleaning rod) and I do intend to shoot her regularly with some of the FNM I've been holding back. You and I can shoot our "rare" rifles without worrying about decreasing their collector value ... SWEET, ain't it?

Alabama - Roll Tide! 2009, 2011 & 2012 SEC and National Champs

Going to be a hard restoration with the rear sight mounting ears and charger bridge removed. Put a vintage Weaver scope on it and enjoy as is.

Back in September 2006 I picked up a Bubba T with an original mount and scope for $1300.00 off of Auction Arms just to get the scope and mount, sold the rest. It was cut in the same way as yours.
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

There are worse places to start from. It's all doable with a little scrounging for wood and a decent barrel and you are on your way. Keep nosing around.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    George Carlin

I smell a whopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Explosive

That's nothing.
    I bought five No4Mk1T's test fired only, all with walnut stocks in their transit chests and with the scope cans with matching scopes. $725 for all five rifles.

This rifle is beyond restoring in my opinion. You can find a nice Sniper without scope or mount for $800-1000 if you look. You will spend at least $500 making this one look right and even then it would not be original.

Enjoy it for what it is. A sporter with a ton of history.
    Jack of all milsurps, master of none.

I guess I should backtrack a bit. I won't say you should do it but if the resources were available I would do it. Either way I would not part with it.

yep that's the way I feel couldn't have said it better myself,

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ptf18 View Post
    I think Creighton (sp) is NOW making replacement barrels
    Do you maybe mean Criterion?

I may have been a little unclear in my previous post, but I do come down on the side of bringing that rifle back with a new barrel and everything to bring it as close as possible to original, within the limitations that Bubba did to it.

If you find the cost of an original or a repro No.32 sniper scope and mount to be too big a bite at this time, that aftermarket Japanese mount (while probably not usable in a Sniper match) will certainly be adequate to get you shooting that rifle with a scope.

cut down barrels with decent bores, you can do what I did with only two surplus rifles of decent lineage, which is take the front of another junk barrel and cut it off the correct replacement length and hollow it out and weld it on, I butt welded the one in a jig, another I was able to hide under a handguad and four neat small tack welds in bevels ground flatter, carefully, I prefer tig welding now with one of them cheap tig welders that run off a dryer outlet, bout $1000.

Anyway, I wished I had pictured my work, I hate taking digital pictures and consigned all my work locally when I needed some extra money. I keep a shot out No.4 barrel for just this sort of thing when I come across something maybe someday, but it won't be easy just to get an original look with bayo lugs and/orsight base area still present. I guess its about "shooter status, elbow grease, some years of welding experience and the thousands of dollars of equipment, or at least inverter tig welders have gotten so cheap, man, they are a godsend, errrr, if I could actually get on down to using mine more than twice a year.

I guess I am talking "all about the proper look". I wouldn't put a original scope back on a project restored look "shooter", I mean, what for(?).

The Japanese bracket and Indian brackets will often need the front spigot deepened to draw the scope in line with the bore. The range on this can be .040" to .060" deeper. This was done to allow the correct fitting but most users just try to dial out the 6" to 8" left windage at 100 meters using the turrets instead of milling the spigot and elevation faces. The best bracket bar-none are the older Roger Paine/ Nigel Greenaway brackets.

You can see in this photo a regulated bracket and an unfinished bracket spigot.

Again good luck.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    George Carlin

I smell a whopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Explosive

That's nothing.
    I bought five No4Mk1T's test fired only, all with walnut stocks in their transit chests and with the scope cans with matching scopes. $725 for all five rifles.

[QUOTE=Ronbo6;3344456]I found a scope mount just like that one a couple of years ago at a gun show.

I ended up paying $37.00 for it, along with the cheap 4X Japanese-made scope that was mounted in it. If you look closely, you will likely find "JAPAN" stamped on the end of one of the bosses down near the thumbscrews.

The mount in this post is the second one of these that I have ever seen. I have wondered how many of these 'aftermarket' mounts are out there. [QUOTE]

A friend of mine had one of the No.4 snipers with the "JAPAN" marked mount. The mount was bent about 10 degrees left of center which prompted me to remove the scope and mount from the rifle. I was very surprised to see the word JAPAN stamped on the mount. A bunch of these rifles were imported "LESS TELESCOPE" . Probably some enterprising soul contracted for reproductions back in the '60's ??

wink2

Ok lads she is all done wooohoooo, she will be coming back from me mate Anthony (crocs gun shop) in New Mexico

Here is two pics he sent me today , she as new barrel new wood and we left the mount and has repo scope, no fake marks on the barrel it's a replacement barrel and that's that I'm not trying to hide anything ,I'm glad I saved her.

Last edited by BAKER72; 06-14-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Two beers per day per man

Nice!

Looks great; let us know how she shoots!
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3

Quote Originally Posted by PAshutr3 View Post
    Looks great; let us know how she shoots!
    Thanks guys will do so far from what I'm told she shoots like a winner
    Two beers per day per man

Based upon my experience, you are going to want to install the sniper cheekpiece before you try to shoot it. Otherwise the cheek weld is going to kinda suck.

I am 98% sure that Numrich is selling pretty good reproductions.

Very, very cool job! Glad you did it.

Now for some targets....

Wow!!!!!!