U-Boat Photo

Thread: U-Boat Photo

Tucson, Arizona; 125 miles southeast of the center of the universe

Default U-Boat Photo

Years ago (probably ten), someone here posted an old WW1 photo of an German U-boat with atleast one crew member using a M91 on mine clearing duty. I made a copy, but can't find it, and have been driving myself crazy looking online for it. Does anybody here have it, or a link to it?
    Hebrews 13:8
    Remember the three rules of the air. Repeat them with me. Always look before you turn, turn right to avoid collision and the lower jumper has the right-of-way.

Would love to see pictures as well. If I recall correctly, there a couple M91's floating around out there with supposed U-Boat markings. Here's a thread from another forum:

http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=6132.0

Also, from: http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/Mosi...etsFromJPS.asp

"Rarer still, is another example of the captured Russian rifles, which was issued to the German U-boat, U 73. At the beginning of the war, each U-boat carried two Maxim machine guns for use by landing parties and for shooting and detonating floating mines. In 1915, when material shortages of every type were beginning to appear, the Maxims were recalled for issue to the army and in their place, each U-boat was issued two captured M91 Three-line rifles. The “U 73” marking was stamped into the stock just below the trigger guard."

Airborne!

Matt

Hello Gents,

I would love to find a copy of the photo in question. I have an article pending in GUNS Magazine regarding the Gew 98 H-band conversions along with my own personal theory as to why so many of these conversions to accept German bayonets are found with Austro-Hungarian markings.

If you manage to find a copy of this photo, please contact me! It would make an excellent addition to the article.

Warmest regards,

JPS

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I remember the pic, but I didn't have any luck finding it after after a lengthy search last night . denny

JPS,
    Is your article strictly on the H-band conversions, or including other conversion types? While searching, I did come across a group photo labeled " Kaiserliche Marine Seesoldaten bewaffnet ", or "Imperial Navy Armed Marines". All their rifles have the tubular adapter conversion.
    Remember the three rules of the air. Repeat them with me. Always look before you turn, turn right to avoid collision and the lower jumper has the right-of-way.

I've looked through more than a 1000 photos I have thinking surely I saw it somewhere and would have copied it. I then went through about a dozen books. Now I am wondering did I just conjure that photo up in my head after reading about it long ago?

The article covers the Gew 98 conversions.

I'm certain that I've never seen the photo in question. If I had, I would have several copies of it in different files. Fingers crossed if any of you Gents can find it.

Warmest regards,

JPS

Where guys are too stupid for their own good.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbornetrooper View Post
    Would love to see pictures as well. If I recall correctly, there a couple M91's floating around out there with supposed U-Boat markings. Here's a thread from another forum:

http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=6132.0

Also, from: http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/Mosi...etsFromJPS.asp

"Rarer still, is another example of the captured Russian rifles, which was issued to the German U-boat, U 73. At the beginning of the war, each U-boat carried two Maxim machine guns for use by landing parties and for shooting and detonating floating mines. In 1915, when material shortages of every type were beginning to appear, the Maxims were recalled for issue to the army and in their place, each U-boat was issued two captured M91 Three-line rifles. The “U 73” marking was stamped into the stock just below the trigger guard."

Airborne!

Matt
    I believe that KH owns the U73 marked rifle.
    In memory of my son Sean James, born 6/25/97. Died 9/16/13.

We will be reunited in heaven.

Nope!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M91 Gew 98 H-band Conv - Rifle No 5.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	290.0 KB 
ID:	906247

She's one of mine.

Name:	U-73 Mark Detail- R-7.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	906238

;>)

The quote is also from a description of the rifle I wrote a long time ago. Here is the entire original post.

Hello Gents,

This is a rare rifle and extremely rare cartouche. The rifle is a WWI German captured M1891 Three-Line Rifle that has been converted to mount a German bayonet through the addition of a Gew 98 H-band top barrel band and bayonet lug.

While these rifles are extremely rare, this particular example is even more so. In 1915, the German Army was short of machine-guns. Each German U-Boat had been issued to MG08s for the purpose of shooting and exploding naval mines at a stand off distance. The MGs were withdrawn from the submarines for re-issue to Army units on the Western Front. To replace the MGs, each U-Boat was issued two captured M1891 Three-Line Rifles in their place.

This particular rifle was issued to the U-73, a boat that has been confirmed to have survived the war. The U/73 has been stamped on the stock wrist below the trigger guard.

These photos were taken a long time ago with an early digital camera. This rifle is on my “to be photographed” list for an upcoming article.

Warmest regards,

JPS

Here are 2 photos from my Mosin files. I don't remember where I found them and am not sure of the significance but it is a U marking:

Name:	U124 Mosin.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	906287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U124 Mosin2.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	906288

Thought I'd bump this one again and see if anybody has come across the U-boat pic. Got my fingers crossed!

I'm still looking but with no luck. It's really bugging me to find it.......thanks Denny

Since this thread has been revived, here is a link to my article that was published on the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the HMHS Brittanic, the largest ship sunk while in active service during WWI.

http://gunsmagazine.com/witness-to-catastrophe/

Enjoy the read!

Warmest regards,

JPS
    Last edited by JPS; 02-15-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Since this has thread has been revived, here is a link to my article that was published on the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the HMHS Brittanic, the largest ship sunk while in active service during WWI.

Enjoy the read!

Warmest regards,

JPS
    Great stuff John. Thanks for posting.

Since this thread has been revived, here is a link to my article that was published on the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the HMHS Brittanic, the largest ship sunk while in active service during WWI.

Warmest regards,

JPS
    Excellent article written by a true historian.......as all of the articles are. I am sure I have not read them all but I certainly have enjoyed the ones I have read. I think you need publish a book of all your works now that you are "at that age"

A very historic Mosin with well documented provenance. Very nice!

Enjoy the read!

Warmest regards,

JPS

Quote Originally Posted by nwellons View Post
    I've looked through more than a 1000 photos I have thinking surely I saw it somewhere and would have copied it. I then went through about a dozen books. Now I am wondering did I just conjure that photo up in my head after reading about it long ago?
    I don't think so. I have a vague recollection of seeing such a photo, but I have no recollection of where.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum