Gunboards Forums banner

WOW...

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  blu1989 
#1 ·
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=489445479

A recently completed auction. I guess we'll see if it actually happens; as a seller I'd be very suspicious of a 'NR' bidder driving the price that high. That being said, there was another bidder that was fighting it out with him until the end.

Pat

#3 ·
Poot:

I had an interest in that "J" rifle, even though it is a bit later than those that still catch my eye. I had contact with the seller upon the occasion of establishing the identity of the assembler, and again with a request for a photographic proof of the Type2 receiver. The seller was responsive, and posted one of the requested photographs as an addendum to his listing. The rifle appears to be as naively advertised, and I have no doubt that the seller would be the prime victim of any shenanigans. However, it would take two bidder-names to warp the hammer to what, for us, would appear beyond all reason. Perhaps we are behind the times, with a Remington Mle 1907-15 just going for almost $2,500. I would prefer malicious mischief to legitimate spendthrifts.

#5 · (Edited)
Orcmastiffs,
It is indeed an interesting and desirable rifle, probably one of the last 'J' block to have the cursive style letter stamp and stock cartouche present, before the odd Roman font 'I' ('J') and no cartouche that you and I have discussed in the past.

IMO .... The problem is people get silly on auctions, they got to have it and win the bid no matter what, hence why the prices are so inflated.
If you were to sell it, lets say on the trader on these boards for this amount, it would not sell for that amount, probably not even close.

Patrick
I fully agree! I had the same thought yesterday, and I do think 'auction fever' had something to do with it. I have to keep a check on myself when I bid and make sure I establish a max amount of what an item is worth to me and how much I want it BEFORE bidding, because I HATE to lose at anything! Needless to say, that's not such a positive attribute as a bidder!

Pat

#4 ·
IMO .... The problem is people get silly on auctions, they got to have it and win the bid no matter what, hence why the prices are so inflated.
If you were to sell it, lets say on the trader on these boards for this amount, it would not sell for that amount, probably not even close.

Patrick

#6 ·
Poot:

As a "J" 23XX it was a bit far from the appearance of those "I" afterthoughts; perhaps 20,000 units: But it does appear to be well preserved for what I would guess was a first week of May rifle. It has, to my eye, three things to answer to. Two may be tricks of the camera, but one left me with the auction-bends. That is the debris, or moisture bubbles at the area of the cartouche. That aside, and as before, I believe that the seller was as unaware of such minutia as are most knowledgeable folks when it comes to French rifles, a market value beyond $700 quashed my interest. The late "H"s, the "J"s and far more of the "K"s may still be encountered in VG to excellent condition. "Dannyseller" will not be seeing a positive return on that rifle for quite some time, should the closing be consummated.

#8 ·
No, he certainly won't.

I also saw the bubbling but didn't bother asking about it as I wasn't going to bid anyway. The contrast between this 'J' block and the type we've communicated about is striking. The former looks like any other nice, pre-war matching example, but the latter seem to be in a class of their own; lots of anomalies that would raise red flags were it not for the fact that there are others attested and observed with the same consistent characteristics. My guess is that's what happens when you're on the verge of an armistice and the wolf is at the door.

Pat

#9 ·
If that rifle was for sale here where I live there would probably be a $400 price tag on it and it wouldn't move for months before someone would end up paying way less since the seller would want it gone by then. This price seems hilarious to me since the last one I saw for sale locally was being advertised for $450 and it never sold in the three years it was being advertised.

#10 ·
It's all regional.

Provided that the one you saw before matches this one pound for pound, I would have pounced on it! Some places don't have the milsurp collectors' draw that others do. Nothing wrong with that, just a different group of buyers.

Pat

#12 ·
Pat the one I saw could go toe to toe against this one but it had more accessories with it. It was all matching, had the bayonet and sling, and even had some ammo pouches with ammo and cleaning kits. At the time I was more interested in other countries so now that I am collecting French I can't find this rifle anywhere for sale. Either the seller kept it because it was too much hassle to try and sell or he sold it to a pawn shop for next to nothing just to get rid of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.