Bulgarian - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bulgarian

Quote Originally Posted by stjoan1 View Post
    Where did you get that hat?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    Good hats. Keeps the sun off your face, ears, neck. Well ventilated. When you shoot, the sun is not in your eyes, even a low angled sun coming in from the side. Has a wire brim, to bend it to form, and a stampede string to keep it from blowing off. Doesn't get in the way when your're driving, like a full sized cowboy hat can.

BTW, the gunsmith sent the Bulgarian to Novaks to have the slide milled for the Trijicons. It should be back this week. The next phase will see it Cerakoted. When all is said and done, I promise to provide pics.

Here's a link for the hat.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_69b5ekmpwh_b
    Last edited by Nikolai; 08-24-2015 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Spellin
    ​Get 55!

I can't wait to see the pics of your Bulgarian all decked out with new sights and finish.

Adventure Hat by Sunday Afternoon.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The gunsmith sent the Bulgarian to Novak to have the slide milled and Trijicons emplaced. It came back the day before yesterday. I went by the shop just now to deliver a new hammer spring prior to the application of Cerakote in about 2 more weeks. Let me say that I am delighted with the job that Novak did. It is better than what I was expecting. I mean, Novak has a reputation and I knew it would be good - but this is really good.

​Get 55!

The temptation was almost irresistible to take it home and shoot it. But I left it there so that a Cerakote application can be applied. Good things are worth waiting for, and paying for. Yes. I have spent money on this. And many would argue that I spent too much - more than what the pistol cost. But it is my backup pistol, and the most accurate pistol I have ever fired. I am willing to pay the money to bring it into the 21st Century.

​Get 55!

Thanks for the posts Nikolai. Interesting work.
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

Nikolai,

I think if you were to put a small 2x2 or 3x3 piece of tape in the center of your target, as an aiming point, your groups would reduce.
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

Nice looking job they did on the sights, it should be really nice when it's all done. Looking forward to some range reports :-)

Nikolai: I feel the same way about my Makarovs, even my Russian Commercial. They are more valuable to me than their purchase price may indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by GyMac View Post
    Nikolai: I feel the same way about my Makarovs, even my Russian Commercial. They are more valuable to me than their purchase price may indicate.
    Yes, GyMac. Back in 93 or 94 I paid $160 a piece for my two IJs, brand spanking new with holsters and two mags each. Even then, I knew the heavy little pistols were high quality, superior weapons.

Now, I paid nearly $300 for that worn out Bulgarian - but I feel like I still got a really, really good deal on it. These Bulgarians can be had for under $300 at Buds on line. But I'll bet in a year or two they won't be there anymore - ever again. This is one of the best military pistols that has ever been made.
    ​Get 55!

Got it back - just now. Six weeks after I took it to the shop for modifications. Trijicons - installed. New hammer spring - installed. Cerakote - applied.

"I love it, Nikolai!"

"Thanks, Baby Doll!"
    ​Get 55!

​Get 55!

Really, really nice! Now we want range reports asap for that bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaccurateone View Post
    Really, really nice! Now we want range reports asap for that bad boy.
    Coming right up.

​Get 55!

Very hot, very windy. No probs with the Mak. So far, so good. When they Cerakote the parts, it makes me a little concerned about the tolerances, but no probs yet.

​Get 55!

Wind blew down target. Distance to target is the usual 75 feet.

​Get 55!

Did the point of aim/impact change with the new sights? Sight acquisition must be excellent with those big sights. That's great that it's running smoothly with the new mainspring and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaccurateone View Post
    Did the point of aim/impact change with the new sights? Sight acquisition must be excellent with those big sights. That's great that it's running smoothly with the new mainspring and finish.
    The point of aim/impact remained the same, and I had to ease off the tension on the hammer spring by turning the hammer spring screw located on the back of the pistol's magazine well about 1/4th a turn counter clockwise. The trijicons glow brightly. I think one thing that needs to be reiterated is that these fat, ugly pistol grips take the whack out of the recoil and I'm not going to replace them. The prettier, less beefy military grips on my IJs transfer the smack into my hand and after about 50 rounds I find it uncomfortable. You know, that Beretta with its 4.9 inch barrel ought to be my straightest shooter, but the compact Mak defeats it in accuracy. Also, Makarovs are much less finicky in the ammunition they will fire.
    ​Get 55!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
    ... I had to ease off the tension on the hammer spring by turning the hammer spring screw located on the back of the pistol's magazine well about 1/4th a turn counter clockwise.
    Nikolai, I'm curious if the mainspring retainer was Cerakoted. The Mak mainspring tension should not be adjustable by loosening the grip screw, if you were referring to your Bulgie.
    Also, were the internal parts Cerakoted (I've never had one done)? The perceived improved trigger pull might be attributed to smoothing of contact points (seer/hammer/trigger bar) by firing.
    Nice sights, BTW!

I'm curious about mainspring tension, too. Those sights look great! I practice drawing and firing and the issue sights are a challenge to pick up at speed.

Nikolia, that a very nice looking mak you have there. i like it

Now, as you see, the Kangaroo is not the fastest way to access a weapon. For that reason I wear shirts with snap buttons, so I can rip them open. Usually, but not always, I carry a Bulldog in a high rider belt carry, with part of my shirt tail pulled over it. I try to have two on me, at all times. Even if it means dropping down to a derringer

Well, I sure fired it unlubed, without a hiccup. I couldn't get away with firing my M9 unlubed.
    Man where do you go that you have to pack that kind of heat!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    Man where do you go that you have to pack that kind of heat!
    I live in Oklahoma and I have a job that places me in a very exposed position.
    ​Get 55!

Tomorrow I mean to run some of these through the Bulgarian - to see how they group compared to the Brown & Silver Bear.

​Get 55!

Nice.

​Get 55!

I purchased 4 boxes of that ammo, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I had to buy it in order to shoot it at the indoor range I go to (no steel or aluminum allowed.) Seems like it's okay ammo. I've never had a brand of 9x18 that didn't shoot well in my Makarovs. Some shot tighter than others, but they all shot and ran well.
    I'll be waiting for a range report, Nikolai.

Fantastic opportunity to test out the Mak Myth, and found not wanting. This why I have my Maks

TED

​Get 55!

The Red Army accuracy was on par with the Silver and Brown Bear. I feel like the Red Army was at a disadvantage on account of very strong wind. It did not affect the bullets, per se, but it did affect my sight picture as strong gusts hit my extended arms. The distance to target was 75 feet. The residue from the Red Army was about like that of Silver and Brown Bear. There was no unburnt powder.

​Get 55!

Thanks Nikolai. I wouldn't call that target print, at that distance, unacceptable at all for a hand held pistol 9x18. Brass, boxer, and something I like, is the sealed primer, which it seems is being eliminated these days, probably as cost cutting to produce. I notice $13.95/50 from SGAmmo.

Yeh, martinbanner, it is high quality ammo and $13.95 for 50 is a bargain. Honestly, I can't shoot any other pistol as well as I can the Makarov. I think it has something to do with ergonomics and the way it fits into the hand.
    ​Get 55!

It came with a fat, beat up target grip which I kept. The slim military grips of my IJ-70s are not all that comfortable to shoot after a box of 50. The military holster is fine for the IJs, but not for the Bulgarian with the high Novak front sight. Normally I carry the Bulgarian in a chestband under my shirt and the front sight does not catch on anything, allowing for a clean, smooth draw.

While shooting the Bulgarian, I don't really notice the recoil - mainly on account of the fat grips. But photos attest that there is some snap. Most of the internals are original, but I replaced the hammer leaf spring and the slide stop. I used to have an occasional failure for the slide to lock back after the last round, and incorrectly blamed it on magazines. After I replaced the slide stop, the slide has locked to the rear consistently and without one single failure to do so.

​Get 55!

My Bulgarian was so caked with cosmoline when I got it that I couldn't have shot it without intensive cleaning even if I wanted to.

I too like a high accessible weapon, especially convenient while driving. Also a crossdraw. Underwood makes their hardcast 115 gr., which I'm sure would have no problem going through a car door. Just sayin'. Not necessary, but an upgraded recoil spring might be worth looking into to take some of the felt recoil. I upgraded to a 21# for shooting the premium USA defensive cartridges (thanks Tennesseean) and find recovery shots faster (less recoil hammering on the pistol, also). Only slightly more resistance with an overhand grasp when racking. Less than ten bucks, what the hey. My EG wears a Pearse hard rubber grip that fits me to a tee, but isn't everyone's cup of tea. ha. about $18.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1960 EG-Underwood HP.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	1639385

Martinbanner, I have thought about replacing the recoil spring, although it doesn't need it. But I do think about doing so, more and more. And the quick access that a chest band offers while behind the wheel is often overlooked in the clamor for iwb holsters. A shirt with button snaps facilitates access. I'm open minded to personal defense ammo, and I click on the YouTube videos of the denim/ballistics gel tests.
    ​Get 55!

This is the holster that I routinely carry the Bulgarian in. It is a chestband made by Kangaroo. Now, about the Kangaroo; if you are a medium in the chest, go with a large. And if you are a large - get an extra large. I have two of these Kangaroos - my other one is about worn out and so I got another.

Edit: Small, concealable and reliable. This dichotomy of pistol and revolver offers a level of personal safety that is enviable in this day and time. While eight states have now outlawed high capacity magazines, neither of these hold ten rounds.

The Bulgarian comes pretty darned close to qualifying as a pocket pistol. It is not much larger than my 340, which I carry in my hip pocket like a billfold.

Last edited by Nikolai; 10-05-2016 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Edit
    ​Get 55!

Although I am not one for modified milsurps, that is one sharp looking pistol Nikolai! Excellent work.
    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Very cool project Nikolai. You've manage to chop up a Mak and still keep it looking good!

If you like the fatter import target grips you might want to consider the FAB Defense Makarov grips. You can find them on ebay. They fill up your hand better than the normal grips and have the added benefit of a thumb mag release that lets you drop the mag instead of having to pull it out while depressing the heel release (which you can still do). I got one this week. Its a pain to install, but there are YouTube videos that will help if you decide to get one. In the end it feels like a whole new pistol in the hand... I'm not a fan of the looks, but function over form. This thing rocks. I can't wait to use at the IDPA BUG match this weekend!

Please ignore the ghetto bike innertube around the grip... its a personal thing I do with all the pistol I use a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by zetazot View Post
    Very cool project Nikolai. You've manage to chop up a Mak and still keep it looking good!

If you like the fatter import target grips you might want to consider the FAB Defense Makarov grips. You can find them on ebay. They fill up your hand better than the normal grips and have the added benefit of a thumb mag release that lets you drop the mag instead of having to pull it out while depressing the heel release (which you can still do). I got one this week. Its a pain to install, but there are YouTube videos that will help if you decide to get one. In the end it feels like a whole new pistol in the hand... I'm not a fan of the looks, but function over form. This thing rocks. I can't wait to use at the IDPA BUG match this weekend!

Please ignore the ghetto bike innertube around the grip... its a personal thing I do with all the pistol I use a lot.
    I really like that, zetazot. I'm going to look for them on Amazon first - then eBay. I really, really like those.

Edit/Update: Well I opened an eBay account and placed the order.
    Last edited by Nikolai; 10-06-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Update
    ​Get 55!

I'm a bit of a purist I like my mil surplus to stay mil surplus, but my Bulgarian Mak is my beater gun which means I let myself tinker with it. I thought these grips were an abomination to all that was good with my maks... and then I got one. It makes the Mak feel like a different gun. Watch some YouTube reviews and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by zetazot View Post
    I'm a bit of a purist I like my mil surplus to stay mil surplus, but my Bulgarian Mak is my beater gun which means I let myself tinker with it. I thought these grips were an abomination to all that was good with my maks... and then I got one. It makes the Mak feel like a different gun. Watch some YouTube reviews and check it out.
    Good point. I'm going to watch the YouTube videos momentarily. I think the grips look fine, ultra modern, and I am upbeat about the magazine release.

Edit/Update: That mag release looks sooooo nice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_iDUKwfApQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvTeMYmafIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkEGDUYlwIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If8zeIoGtcc
    Last edited by Nikolai; 10-06-2016 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Edit/Update
    ​Get 55!

The gun is cool but I can't stop looking at that hat.

That thing is SWEET!

Name:	FAB Mak.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	1642242You can also carefully remove the beaver tail, back to this point, without running out, "meat" in the solid plastic, or whatever the material is. I just love the FAB grips, and with the reduced beaver tail, I think it looks much more presentable
    Last edited by JHall; 10-06-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHall View Post

Name:	FAB Mak.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	1642242You can also carefully remove the beaver tail, back to this point, without running out, "meat" in the solid plastic, or whatever the material is. I just love the FAB grips, and with the reduced beaver tail, I think it looks much more presentable
    Yeah, I like that look much better than the full beaver tail. Does it smooth up nice with fine grit sandpaper or something similar?

Well I opened an eBay account and placed the order.
    You'll post a picture of it, right? (Don't forget... its a pain in the but to put on. Take your time, a wide screw driver will be your friend. I used an East German AK tool that works great as an all in one Makarov tool for taking it down to the frame.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast