A good Mosin day - Finn-capture 1943 M38 carbine - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good Mosin day - Finn-capture 1943 M38 carbine

Bones I've often wondered when we see a rifle with the damage like this what experience does someone have that we have certainly that the damage was caused by the descriptions given? I certainly defer to those with extensive knowledge, but I always hear the old buy the gun not the story thrown around here quite a bit. If there's no shrapnel present on a rifle, how do we correctly ascertain that damage was caused by it?

I'm also trying to get information on how a rifle in the condition of yours gets imported here. Surely rifles like this weren't put in to storage this way, so where and how did they show up in this condition? Please understand I'm not doubting your particular rifle or others, I'm just trying to gain more knowledge on the subject so I can buy other Mosins with a higher degree of intelligence. Oh and BTW, great rifle!

I have nothing specific on the cause of the damage, other than having seen many other rifles damaged by bits of shrapnel. The forward section of the damaged area shows clear small shrapnel damage (vice being struck by shovel or dropped on a rock). The rear area shows clear knife-cut marks where the splintered piece was cut off. My photo doesn't show it well, but the damage is not as exaggerated as it looks... meaning, you don't feel the missing wood so much when handling it.

But yes, it is just my own opinion.
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

It's been quite a while since a new SA M38 has surfaced.

The all matching 1943 is a huge bonus.
    Now officially collecting Mosin M38s!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Bones I appreciate your feedback. I sure hope some other experienced folks get on this thread because I'd really like to hear some feedback on both of these issues. I just don't understand how a beat up looking Finn rifle, no matter how it happened, shows up here.

Fantastic, thanks for sharing.

I love finds like this, good snag!

I snagged an all matching and original '41 Izhevsk Finn capture M38 a couple years ago off of Armslist. Darn near the same shape as this one. It even has some "battle damage" right behind the trigger guard. It really makes you wonder what caused the damage and hope no one was holding it when it happened. I have a Vietnam bringback T53 with a bullet impact to the nose cap of the stock. War is hell as they say.
    "Tactical Knob"

I would've loved to have purchased this piece. Unfortunately (kind of) I purchased about seven too many collection additions in the last couple weeks and had to watch it pass on by as my wallet caught fire just thinking about it.
    Currently In Search Of: Rare/Interesting/Oddball Finnish (or Finn'd Russian) M/91s and M/91-24s.

In Honor and Memory of a Loving and Devoted Wife

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free. His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12