Gunboards Forums banner

LLAMA .22 Pistol Question

38K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  orent 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up a LLama .22 1911 mini copy today it was sold as a Especial. After searching the web I have figured out it is not a Especial. I think it is a XV model but not entirely sure. The ones I have seen pics of do not have the same markings on the slide. On the left side it is marked LLAMA CAL.22 on the right side it is marked GABILONDOY CIA.VITORIA(espana)
On the right side of the frame it is marked stoeger Industries S.Hackensack.N.J.
Serial# 664047. On the left side ther are the proof marks in my research I think it is made in 1970 if I am reading the charts right.
It came with one 8rd mag.
So my main question is simple is this a model XV?
TIA
Barry In MO.

See less See more
#5 ·
All I did so far was to shoot 1 clip through it. It fired 5 rds. then misfired I just puled the hammer back and it shot the rest no problems. When I have a chance I will fire it some more. There are some on gunbroker and auction arms there are even some in .380&.32 on there too. I have wated one of thes for a long time too.
Barry In MO

#6 ·
I'd say it's a model XV. The Especial models were earlier pistols and were marked 'Especial' on the right side of the slide just ahead of the ejection port. IIRC, the Especial came with no top rib at all first, then a solid top rib was added in later pistols. Rear sight is like a 1911 GI Colt pistol. Grips most often seen on the Especial were checkered walnut, though some plastic may be seen on the early guns but with out the thumb rest feature of the XV guns. The Especial and the later XV differ in mostly cosmetic points but there are some internal changes too,,ie: shape of the barrel lug, firing pin body shape (flat or round), post'68 pistols have the 'target grips' and adjustable rear sight to allow importation under GCA'68. Magazines will interchange but as some are hand fitted a bit to lock into place, they may not just drop into place and function perfectly. They seem to be ammo sensitive, at least the ones I've owned. Best results were with H/S ammo and it seems the Remington was the prefered mfg. I've owned a few of these and a couple of 380s and one in 32. I just can't seem to be able to keep them as people wave $$ in front of me in exchange for them.
Hope this helps..
Llamaless..at least for now!

#7 ·
Greetings M1Crazy,

I have owned four of these pistols in .22, blue with plastic grips. The one I currently own is a factory stainless with pearl grips. It has the identical markings to yours with the production code letter A2, (left side below the serial number) and a serial number of 991XXX. It was made in 1982. You can download from the net a copy of the original owner's manual and a copy of the original catalog listings with photos, as well as all the production date codes.

All of the ones I have owned had fuctioning problems after having been used some. Mostly stovepipes but FTF, and FTE as well.

Not withstanding, I love these pistols and enjoy shooting them more than any of my expensive handguns, to the extent that I tolerate having to clear it quite often in order to continue shooting. If I'm going to stick a gun in my pocket to go plink in the bush - no contest. They are the sweetest little guns I have had in my hands.

The lack of parts and new magazines is a concern to any Llama owner.

#10 ·
my brother in law has a .22 cal Llama like this one and is looking for a new barrel to replace the dry fired alot one in his. he purchased his from a guy that didnt take great care of it.
Someone created a big indention on the reciever end of the barrel by continuous dry fires.

Are these around still?

Also, when he shoots it, it will shoot two fast and jam on the third shot. i am thinking firing pin spring replacement time?

#11 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Llama .22LR barrel

I happen to have a Llama .22LR barrel in stock. It is in good condition. Also, the misfires can be the sear or hammer more than the firing pin. It sounds like it may slip instead of locking in place as it should. I'd check both of those before firing it live. If they look worn, replace them. I also have those parts in stock.

#17 ·
I happen to have a Llama .22LR barrel in stock. It is in good condition. Also, the misfires can be the sear or hammer more than the firing pin. It sounds like it may slip instead of locking in place as it should. I'd check both of those before firing it live. If they look worn, replace them. I also have those parts in stock.
Larryh1108:

Looking for a Llama 380 III-A frame...do you have one? Please let me know if you do:

info@tripletpromotions.com

#16 ·
I said it in other links but if you get a lot of FTFs, FTEs or stove pipes, check the mag springs and internals for debris and gunk. Also, replace the recoil spring. In Llamas, that seems to be the problem more than anything. Also, a worn extractor will cause these issues as well. Check the tip/point of the extractors to make sure they are sharp and not rounded or worn.

#19 ·
The Llamas Especials had an alloy frame that was lighter. They are marked Especial on the slide. The Llama Specials had longer barrels on certain models. If anyone has a Llama that has more than usual failures to feed, I can work on the slide to get it to a tolerable level by working on problem areas during their production.

I do have 2 firing pins left and they are hard to come by. I also have a used barrel in stock as well as a few slides for the .22, .32 and .380 as well as all the small parts for almost every Llama model. I do not have any frames since I don't have a FFL but I do work on the Llamas to get their issues smoothed out. The Llama .22LRs are ammo sensitive and if you find a brand that works better than others then stick with it. The mags also need attention if you have failures to feed. Check the mag springs and if they are beginning to spiral then you need new springs which I cannot find anywhere. The mags are out there but are fetching $50 and up. If the mag springs are in good shape then the slide needs work to feed more reliably. I can work on the frames as well but shipping it thru a FFL both ways plus the shipping makes it cost prohibitive but if price is not an issue it can be done.

The Llama .22LRs are the neatest little .22s out there, IMO, and if it works flawlessly I wouldn't trade it for any other .22.

#23 ·
You can email me at larryh1108@comcast.net for parts for the Llama .22s or any small frame Llamas. I still have barrels and most small parts along with some slides. Recoil springs are still a mystery and can't be found. magazines go for $34.95 + shipping at ammoclips.com. I have purchased several and they function fine. Stick with HV ammo for best results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.