Gunboards Forums banner

Mexican Revolution Photos - Puzzle -

8K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  lan517 
#1 ·
Hello Amigos, I would like to post some photos of the Mexican Revolution and the Cristero War, both for sharing them, but also wanted some help to identify some of the guns

Victoriano Ramirez a.k.a El Catorce ( Mauser 1912 ) ?

Mendoza´s machine gun crew

Mexican Infantry 1940's ( Mauser 1936 )

Soldier standing guard ( Mauser 1936 )

Mexican Rebel ( Mauser 1902 - Mauser 1910 ) ?

Rurales ( Remington 1871 or 1897 ? )

Mexican soldiers 1968 ( Mauser 1954 ) ?

Mauser 1888 or Mauser 1892 ?

Carbine Mauser 1924 ?

Mauser 1895, 1902 or 1910 ?

Cristero officer - Luger pistol Artillery Model -

Cristero on the left - Colt M1911 -

See less See more
#3 ·
In the 1968 picture, are those M1936 Mauser rifles? I ask, because it looks like the rifles have open sights rather than aperture sights, and they don't seem to have that M1903 style portion of the striker behind the bolt.

#4 ·
No. 5: M1902?

I'm terrible at picking out details from old photos, but number five looks to me like a Modelo 1902 Mauser.

Those Federales with the small muzzle loader guns could be 7mm M1902 Remingtons, but the sights don't look right. Maybe in .43 Spanish still? I'll defer to experts. I thought the M1902 bayonets had a shorter blade and a ricasso or hook on the hilt, but certainly I don't know for certain.

Interesting photos! That one Cristero with the ammo even on his thighs is a trip... Almost looks like something from a film! For that matter, I suppose the colorized photo of the Cristero looks a bit like Andy García in that film...?!

#6 ·
Cristero, with all the ammo, Mauser Kar98 (either Original 1900 or 1905 Version, can't tell from Photo...Cal 7,9mm---Cartridges seem to be M88 Patrone ("J" type).) Distinguishing feature "Mini-Lange sight"

Other Kar88, also in M88 7,9J cartridge. ( German "Wholesaler" shipments to revolutionaries from 1910-1914, and maybe even later?).

Doc AV

#8 ·
View attachment 933651

Check this Percussion Wall Gun.
Villista in action at the Battle of Zacatecas.

Screen saver! :thumbsup:

Personally, I've always loved the photo of the campesinos from Morelos sitting with their Mausers at the baroque marble counter at Sanborn's when the Villistas and Zapatistas met briefly in the DF! In my case, it was ordering breakfast next to the "night shift" police women with MP5s...

The documentaries with Paco Ignacio Taibo II about Villa are entertaining and informative. Thanks for the great pics!

If you ever travel to ROU/Uruguay there are a couple such wall guns on display. One at Cerro in the army museum dating from the lengthy siege of Montevideo, and another in one of the old fortresses near the border with Río Grande do Sul in Brazil. Very interesting defensive armament. Although, in this case, it looks to be on the offense there in Zacatecas!

#21 ·
I never knew the Cristeros were so well armed! The father of a friend of mine fought them in the mountains of Jalisco as a young sublieutenant in the Federal Army, from barranca to barranca to barranca to.... Some bloody fighting with lots of casualties on both sides. Apparently it ended in the usual guerrilla vs. regular army stalemate. Some of the bad feelings apparently remain, though, even now. Religious wars are the worst.

#26 ·
Hello Amigos, I would like to post some photos of the Mexican Revolution and the Cristero War, both for sharing them, but also wanted some help to identify some of the guns

View attachment 933501

Soldier standing guard ( Mauser 1936 )
Do you have any information about the bandoleer? Where, when, how many made?
They are similar to the German pre WWI colonial bandoleers.
Thanks

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.