Gunboards Forums banner

Opinions on Daewoo DR200?

35K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Rapidrob 
#1 ·
I hear they are superior to the AR15. Anyone here own one? what do you guys think of them? What do they go for?

#2 ·
good relibality and function

In my experiance I've never had a failure to feed/fire/extract. I can't say it's more accurate than an AR/M16, because for me it hasn't been. They use some AR/M16 parts primarly the bolt if memory serves. I have yet to see a scope mount that really looked secure for one, but they do make mounts. Overall it's a good battle rifle, not a target gun. While stationed in Korea I saw several of the full auto folding stock versions used by the Koreans. The folding stock makes for a much more compact series of this weapon. I think ACE still sells folding and skelton stocks for this rifle. As for cost most I've seen for sale go for 600.00 to 850.00.

me26245

#4 ·
I've got a dr-200 and prefer it to my AR and have had zero problems. Mine came with the scope mount and I put an ACE stock and T48 hand guards on it and a sightron scope and with homerolls (55grn.) it will shoot moa @ 100 yds.

#5 ·
Piston gas system:)
7000 series aluminium forging:)
Designed for Military application.:)

Parts availability :confused: (questionable, except for some parts thru the daewoo enthusiasts website.

If it weren't for the AWB, I think this would have been The contender for the American market way before the SIG or other improved AR's appeared.

The only real drawback to the design I have seen it the 180-degree selector throw (for which a mfg is Supposed to have a 90-degree replacement soon) and the just-less-than-optimal design where the pistol grip meets the receiver (it's a bit too squared off for my tastes).

#7 ·
I'm the only person I know with a Daewoo rifle(carbine). I have the Stoeger imported MAX I version. I guess the Koreans call it the K1A1 carbine.

The K1 looks to be a greatly simplified AR style rifle. Has no gas piston on this model Daewoo. The gas system is an impingement style, has a totally different recoil spring system. The lower receiver is quite similiar to an AR, and the internals look identical to an AR trigger group parts. Essentially an AR with all the unneccessary parts thrown away.

I guess the rifle versions have gas-piston systems instead of direct gas impingement. Some other visual differences, such as rear sights and actually have a buttstock(the K1 carbine has a wire stock).

My little carbine is a great gun. Don't jam, don't clean it much, is accurate, shoots and handles much better than the short length and wire stock might indicate.

I personally have not seen a Daewoo 5.56mm rifle around in a long time. Used to be reasonably common.

#10 ·
I'd say it's a buy at $650....these just aren't real common, though gunbroker has them all the time. I never see them in the stores, or at gunshows. I have had similar experience to all the other owners. Flawless function, with virtually any ammo. Very good accuracy. It's one of the few guns that is so good, I would want to own another just like it. A real bargain, too...just don't let the secret out !

#24 ·
Why are you blaming the gun when your are using it to dispose of ammo? If the ammo was good, you wouldn't be disposing of it. Shooting crappy ammo and then blaming the gun is totally illogocal.

Try shooting it with good ammo and see what happens.

#13 ·
I dug my Daewoo carbine from the locker just to look at it. Handsome gun in an ugly sort of way!

Has an inner beauty though. Shoots way better than a tactical carbine should, and (at least mine!) is failure free.

I want to get a full size AR, but the silly Daewoo carbine is serving me well enough that the AR keeps getting postponed!

#14 ·
Thet are great shooters ,Have had two. The only REAL problem is if you may need parts.
I bought one missing the gas plug real cheap , & found out why , Had to have a machine shop make me one . I could not find one anywhere ( internet included) There may be some
where that has parts for these, but if so I could not find it.

#21 ·
I have the folding stock version, my bud has the DR200.

Both have been very reliable and are fun to shoot.

As mentioned in a previous post the DR200 has the 1 in 12 twist so stick with 55 grainers.

You may find the thumbhole stoch awkward but it can be altered to a folder version for under $250 with all US made parts (922 compliant).

I'd scoop on the DR for $650!

#23 ·
I got one cheap a few years ago with the idea that if I didn't like it, I could always sell it for more than I paid for it. It came with a scope rail installed, but I didn't care for the scope, so at one time I had a red dot sight on it, but I'd rather shoot open sights anyway. The scope mount seems solid enough.

Reliable & as accurate as any of my AR's. First thing to go was the politically-correct thumbhole stock & ugly muzzle brake.

With the same 1:12" barrel as an old Mini-14, it likes my 52 gr HPBT handloads, but does well with 55gr FMJ's also.

If I had to sell anything, one of my AR's would go first.

#25 ·
Heres a informational post I did at survivors & another post I did on AR 15 lower parts that interchange. A great gun & heres why.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=89348.0

Finaly picked up some DPMS AR15 lower parts and for all you guys that have no need of a AR15 cause you got a Woo, well, these parts are interchangeable.
The AR trigger is a straight up cross over. The AR hammer will work fine with a AR or Daewoo trigger as long as you use a AR disconector. The Daewoo disconector is Daewoo hammer specific only. The odd hook and side cut of the top end of the Daewoo hammer is made that way to run 3 shot burst and full auto fire control parts. The AR hammer and trigger pins will work but are a bit short and will sit slightly resessed in the holes. The AR safety is the correct diameter but its too short due to the thicker Daewoo lower. Although it could be humped up to work by recutting the detent groove out to the very edge of the safety end. The hammer, trigger and disconector springs are all interchangable. The front hinge pin is identical to the AR15 pin. The AR bolt stop "might work" if you drill out the smaller diam pin hole and put in a longer plunger that engages it. Same goes for the mag catch. An AR one may be made to work if the AR mag catch button was made to fit the round hole in the Daewoo lower.
There you have it! I did put 5 rds through the Woo with a AR FCG under the stock Woo safety. Worked perfectly and the safety gave a perfect lock up.

#26 ·
I have a semi-auto Daewoo d-200 (imported by kimber) and prefer it over ANY other rifle in my safe, even more than my machine gun (Stemple 76/45), it NEVER jams, it fires smoothly, and is dead on shooting 5 inch gongs at 200 yards. it shoots any .223 round with no problem, and the accuracy is amazing just with iron sights (though I am looking now for a scope mount). You can do all kinds of mods (replace the handle, etc) but I like mine right out of the box. I'm not sure what they are selling for, but I paid $1,000 for mine new in the box from Korea about 5 years ago. Hope this helps.

#29 ·
So I'll resurrect this thread for fun sake. I picked up a DR-200 last year off Armslist. The seller posted it for 600 bucks, I watch Armslist rather closely for new stuff and I saw it pop up and grabbed the thing in a heartbeat. I put it in the safe and occasionally wondered about it. It had the barrel plug/protector on it and it sort of struck my curiosity. Well, it appears that this thing is a virgin. I pulled it apart today and the impingement system is fresh as new, no darkening from gas at all, no cartridge markings, nothing. It a new DR-200 for 600 bucks. Time to order the new stock, adapters and make it a folder along with the rail from Stormwerkz.

#30 ·
I found my K2 new in the box about 15 years ago. The barrel I'm told is a M-16 barrel and shooting this rifle at long range ( 500 and 800 yards ) found it to be every bit as accurate as a M16/AR15. Using the same mag is a big plus as well unlike the AR180.
The rifle has always worked and can ( I won't ever do it ) shoot steel cased ammo.
I like the pointing ability and the sights.
It's a shame we can't import rifle parts from South Korea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.