Gunboards Forums banner

Samco's Scopeless and mountless M41b

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  1911crazy 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Recently I have been contemplating whether or not to buy one of the Scope-less and mount-less M41b's the Samco has left in stock.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-swed-M41B.html

I have taken look back at the past threads that have been written about Samco's m41b sniper rifle. The most negative point that I can get from the past posts are that Samco is at the bottom of the barrel with these rifles and what they have left may not be desirable. Also, another negative is that the rifles that Samco has left have "minor" crack in the stock.
But I also see the fact that only 5500 of these rifles were made and most likely less were imported to the States being used as a positive. And with the cheapest of Samco's two prices being $600 I feel like that isnt that bad of a price scope-less and mount-less sniper rifle albeit with a "minor" crack the stock.

Im really not sure if this would be a smart buy? What do you guys thinks?

Also if I do buy it, could I replace the stock with a regular M96 Stock?

See less See more
#2 ·
As you said , they have been at the bottom of the barrel for a number of years now . SAMCO got the entire remaining stock of m/41b snipers in 1996 . So , nearly 20 years later , what do you expect ? Condition varies . Do you feel lucky ? SAMCO does have a good reputation on refunds . Most stock cracks are at the tang of the receiver . That can be repaired . Replacing the stock is no problem , just a small cut out for the base that is not seen on the m/96 stock . Repro mount & rings about $200/$300 . I believe some are using Weaver 4X scopes in these for military competition . Price unknown to me ? Not a great way to go for the amount invested . No way of knowing how your rifle will shoot . It was not being used in service with no scope & mount . If you are willing to pay shipping both ways , you can take a look at one . Worst case , you loose the shipping , maybe $75 . Maybe $1000 total invested ? Versus $2000 or more for an original . The choice is yours . Personally , I would pass on it , but maybe you cannot afford an original . We will see what others have to say on this subject .

#3 ·
Dont get this......a m/41B whitout scope and mounts would become a m/96 with a cutout in the stock and drilled holes in its receiver. Sounds more realistic to start with a good shooting m/96 and build a "repro" m/41B from that. That "scope and mountless" former m/41B has only value If still in good condition and already fitted for installation of mounts. Remember that I live in Sweden and looks at the Swedish snipers from somewhat different angle. Just my 2c.

#4 ·
I have 3 originals, I use one in our vintage match occasionally. there are other guys/one girl who have purchased from SAMCO and created the same rifle that swede just said sans the original ajack. They shoot just as well. Point is, if you are using for competition do it, if for collection, eh.

#6 ·
I built one repro out of an M38. It's legal for competition AFIK with a repro scope mount and a Weaver K4, because the book says there were some 38 models prototyped. Made a jig to clamp the mount to the receiver in the right pace. Some clearance on the mount necessary. Use the mount as a guide and put in the pins first. Then spot drill to get a good center and then drill and tap for screws. The mount comes with screws, tap drill and tap. Shoots well, much handier for competition.
Don

#7 ·
A few years back I was buying swede barreled receivers and mating them with stock set to give them a new life.
I found them to be very accurate after all there still swedes. I didn't restore them they look fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.