Default M1 carbine legal in California?

is the rifle or just the magazine illegal there?

Alabama - Roll Tide! 2009, 2011 & 2012 SEC and National Champs

Yes as long as you only have 10 round mags for it. I sold a Universal M1 carbine to a guy CA and could not ship him the standard 15 round mag.
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER WITH OVER 720 POSTS ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

M1 carbines are legal in calif., for now at least. The mags are another matter, no mags over 10 rounds

Actually all firearm magazines over 10 rounds if owned IN California prior to 1999 are LEGAL to own and use. You just cannot sell, give or transfer them to anyone. You cannot import or manufacture new large capacity magazines either.

M1 Carbines are legal in CA as long as they don't have a folding or collapsable stock, pistol grip, forward grip or flash suppressor and are within overall length limits.
    Last edited by bdgfate; 04-28-2008 at 03:31 PM.
    http://hotimg2.fotki.com/b/76_171/115_102/youhavemosins_sig-vi.jpg

Default thanks for info

I am moving to California, I guess I need to get rid of the 20 round mag and find a smaller one for my M1 carbine. its good to know I can at least keep it. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

One correction to the above. In order for the mags to be legal you needed to own them, and have them in the state of California before 01-01-2000 not before 1999.
    I never met a gun I didn't like!
    Dogs are better people than most people.

Ever wonder why the stripper clips only hold 10 rnds. & most clips seem to function better with only 10 rnds. in them? No one had time to fumble with another stripper clip to get 5 more rnds. out of it, bend the little tab back up and stow it somewhere during the heat of battle. These things are 10 rnd. clips, but I doubt Mexifornia will buy that logic.

Default underfilling mags

most mags work better if not filled up totally. when the spring is highly compressed, the top round is held in under much greater pressure. sometimes create a feeding problem.

Hate to say this but I am glad I don't live in california!
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

How is it possible, in California, to enforce a ban on high capacity magazines? If a Californian acquires magazines out of state that were manufactured prior to 01/01/2000, who is to say he didn't possess them prior to the law going into effect providing he also resided in California prior to that date?

Quote Originally Posted by rickyracer2 View Post
    Hate to say this but I am glad I don't live in california!
    What Rickyracer said......I far prefer living in the USA.........

Ah, there's the rub Clermont. If you don't have legit receipt for the clip it is confiscated and you are looking at a horror show with the state Nazis. In Mexifornia you are considered guilty until you prove your innocence....sorta like that other bastion of common sense, France.

Chloe, do you have first hand knowlege of magzines being confiscated and the burden of proof being placed on the magazin owner?

thanks,

tim

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    Ah, there's the rub Clermont. If you don't have legit receipt for the clip it is confiscated and you are looking at a horror show with the state Nazis. In Mexifornia you are considered guilty until you prove your innocence....sorta like that other bastion of common sense, France.

I live in California and I go to the range with my 15, 20, and 30 round magazines, and nobody asks, nobody cares. I've never heard of anyone being hassled because they owned one of these mags. The police would need to be able to prove that it was purchased after the ban.

timdps. Nope, just second hand.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Clermont View Post
    How is it possible, in California, to enforce a ban on high capacity magazines? If a Californian acquires magazines out of state that were manufactured prior to 01/01/2000, who is to say he didn't possess them prior to the law going into effect providing he also resided in California prior to that date?

As with most gun-control laws, it is unforceable.

There are no serial numbers on magazines so there is no way to determine when they were brought into the state.

Not that I'm advocating it mind you, but if you can sneak a mag into the state the state is incapable of proving, unless you weren't a resident mind you until after the ban, you guilty of said law.