Gunboards Forums banner

Beretta 92FS manufacture dates

58K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  wethackrey 
#1 ·
Why does Beretta treat the manufacture date of their civilian pistols as some kind of secret? All I can get from the official and unofficial Beretta websites is "the only way to get the manufacture date of your Beretta 92FS is to call Beretta USA ..." Well, I don't WANT to wait on hold with a Maryland distributor, and I don't WANT to provide the serial numbers of my firearms over the phone. Can we start a Beretta serial number survey, leaving off the last few numbers, for those brave and patient souls who have actually CALLED the "Sphinx"?! Why should it be so hard to learn when my pistols were manufactured? Is there ..... ooooooh, maybe this is it ..... steel that fails after a certain period of time in the pistols? Gee, Beretta, maybe you'd like to come out from behind the curtain and tell your customers when you built their pistols ....

#3 ·
High School Confidential

If it's not a secret, why can't they just post the production/serial numbers for each year? If it is a secret, why is it a secret? And I don't care if it is paranoid or not, I shouldn't have to wait on hold, maybe be recorded, and provide the serial numbers of ..... oh. Never mind. They are the stupidly paranoid ones. I will call with fourteen thousand different serial numbers, only one of which is actually mine. God, is this frigging high school?!

#6 ·
Numb3rs

The Beretta 92FS pistols I have seen are preceded by "BER". Some, but not all, have the suffix "Z". I'd like to know why the 92FS pistols I have seen are preceded by BER when the information gleaned from my research suggests that has a special meaning (not just "Made by Beretta, USA"), specifically that they are for reserve. And I'd like to know what the "Z" means, since for Beretta shotguns, "z" means it was a discounted demo model. And JimLay, sending the serial number of a pistol over the internet is almost as stupid as running up and down the street scattering blank checks and screaming out your social security number. Has nothing to do with government conspiracies. Purely a private matter, to avoid legal problems.

#7 ·
There's a sticky at the Beretta forum that has manufacturer dates for Italian 92's. If your pistol is imported then the date code stamped on the right-side of the triggerguard will give you the info you seek. If yours is a USA model then Beretta USA is your only choice. They are not bad about giving you the info if you call them(so I've heard)so spend a few minutes on hold and find out for sure.

Following the info on the sticky I found that my 92F is from 1988.

#8 ·
If you call Beretta and ask about the ber with the z at the end they will tell you its a model 92 that was made before I think it was 1985 and they dont have records of it. It could be becouse between 1985 and 1999 the made aprox 420k pistols for the military now I am talking about the 92f. They told me I could look up the info at orionbluebook but when i did that a audio area also they said you could get the info from gunappraisels.com.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.